It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get involved with SETI

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
i think we've learned why ufo believers have this irrational hatred for seti.

1. SETI doesnt subscribe to their belief that aliens are visting earth in spaceships. That's enough for any beliver to start the hate.

2. SETI is composed of astronomers , astrophysicists & scientists. Very very smart people this REALLY annoys the believer it further challenges their world view. Very smart people who are interested in ET life but dont agree its visiting.

3. They have to try rationalise it in their minds becuase of course the beliver is not wrong he KNOWS aliens are visiting. So seti is thrown in the coverup/disinfo pile. Along with anyone else who has credibility and doesnt share their world view.

4. some belivers seem to be scared of seti or more accurately scared of a null result. That would challenge their view ETs exist at all , thats not gonna fly in the belivers mind- skeptical ed already stated he wants it shutdown even though theyve searched only 2000 out of 100 billion+ stars.

i think the hatred is a psycological reaction to the challenge posed by seti to their beliefs.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
nice too see that your enjoing the flaming between us xD.
allright if ETs are so advanced to use spaceships,they can just use teleports or astral travels. so most of the ufos can be probably human made,if aliens can just teleport here,but still its pretty much more plausable they use space ships,even if they use black hole tech,they need to atleast get close to earth to maybe teleport or something...

as for SETI,pay me 10$ a day to watch the night sky with my binoculars,or better pay me for a nightvision hd kit xaxa,ill do alot better then seti for so many years.
or just have some guru teach me to astral travel, and put some russian omega-blabla machine to record my brain functions,if aliens are so advanced,ill be sure to meet them in my astral travel
and yea the japan guy,hes really famous with his documentaries,hes a smart guy thats for sure,and i remember i watched the exact same thing when he says seti...sucks

THE THING IS,we allready know there are aliens,and were enough advanced to have stellar craft,and lasors...and battlesattelites.
yet seti continues to get money to find out "if aliens exist"
like mexico ufo chasing videos wasnt enough to prove A: aliens exist B: were more advanced then spaceshuttles
couse that thing in the video wasnt swamp gas!
i say BURN DOWN seti,but even if they think of another way to search for aliens,theyr still going to cover it up,couse u KNOW all the agencyes know everyting about aliens years before..they probaby chit chat.
the only way is a open public project with open access to all people to come and see what are they doing...or something like that

as for the debate, a soon as the other moderator gets the message it will start,since the other mod isnt taking care anymore of debates,i already sended it

i would love to throw my heart in the debate,couse it hurts me to see unenlightened people in this nwo/crysis times to be made a fool from seti and let them use theyr computer power for free,put the money seti gets into homeless people,and the crysis will be at end
give me like 10$ and wood material,ill make 5 wooden chairs for town gardens and paint them..and blabla,you can help the world with very little money,i dont think the governments put theyr money to its full use

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
4. some belivers seem to be scared of seti or more accurately scared of a null result. That would challenge their view ETs exist at all , thats not gonna fly in the belivers mind...

Even if SETI projects ran for the next 1000 years and never picked up a signal it would not mean there are no aliens. All it would mean is that we have not found a signal. During a recent interview on the Astronomy Cast, Shostak said that if a signal is not detected in the next 25 years it would be time for the SETI projects to re-assess how they conduct the searches.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

yes of course thats true. But the believer doesnt think that way. They would rather claim seti are hiding signals than admit they havnt found any yet.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
xaxa cmon guis,its allright, its normal for them to not find anything
couse theyr method is so 80'

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Funny how Stillalive confirms exactly what Yeti was saying...

Originally posted by Stillalive
THE THING IS,we allready know there are aliens,and were enough advanced to have stellar craft,and lasors...and battlesattelites.
yet seti continues to get money to find out "if aliens exist"

3. They have to try rationalise it in their minds becuase of course the beliver is not wrong he KNOWS aliens are visiting...

i say BURN DOWN seti...

This is the second time you've advocated some sort of destruction or vandalizing of SETI projects. Not only is it childish and immature, but it shows you are closed-minded in the extreme.

but even if they think of another way to search for aliens,theyr still going to cover it up,couse u KNOW all the agencyes know everyting about aliens years before..they probaby chit chat.

...So seti is thrown in the coverup/disinfo pile. Along with anyone else who has credibility and doesnt share their world view.

the only way is a open public project with open access to all people to come and see what are they doing...or something like that

SETI projects work the same as all astronomy projects; all their records and data are available to the public;

as for the debate, a soon as the other moderator gets the message it will start

Don't bother. It will be a pointless exercise. Again and again I have asked you for evidence to back up your statements. You have either ignored this or pretended as if your speculation is evidence enough. You are so closed-minded that you have gone so far as to state you do not need to bothered with facts and have advocated some sort of violence against the SETI projects for not agreeing with you.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

xaxa cmon guis,its allright, its normal for them to not find anything
couse theyr method is so 80'

Idiocy.

SETI methods are based on not some primitive technology as you kept so ignorantly implying but based on the best available methods based on current technology. It is the height of stupidity to criticize them for not using technologies not yet invented.

However, if you can think of a better, scientific, method (i.e; not astral projection) please enlighten us.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
well why dont YOU provide some proof that seti is a good project and we should allow them to continue working and wasting money?
its not closed mind,its more like "doing something about it" instead of letting them wasting money more years.
well i suppose you think the japanese doctor's saying about seti are idiotic as well?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
fyi im done talking to you,im sick of your insults,cant you just proove your point without being arrogant and use "idiocy" or "childish" as insults?
sure im not a perfect flower but i dont insult other members.
i have much more urgent things to fight for,like saving us from the muslim menace,so if u wanna really proove a point,a debate will hapen,there u will have a chance to tell us about the miighty SETI and all about them you know,like a disinfo agent ^^
or if you wish continue to insult peole,ill just hit ignore and go read more important stuff

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

well why dont YOU provide some proof that seti is a good project and we should allow them to continue working and wasting money?

its not closed mind,its more like "doing something about it" instead of letting them wasting money more years.

To me its worth is philosophical. If the SETI projects prove successful, it will be a profound achievement.

But you are trying to derail the argument. Instead of presenting evidence to back up your claims, you have outright refused and attempted to distract.

well i suppose you think the japanese doctor's saying about seti are idiotic as well?

I respectfully disagree with Dr. Kaku (he's American, by the way) and respectfully say that he misrepresents SETI's position. For instance, he claims that SETI projects say since they've found no evidence of ETs then there are ETs; this is not true at all, all the SETI projects say is they found no evidence thus far. And he says SETI projects only scan near the hydrogen frequency; while the SETI Institute does indeed do this, various SETI projects use other methods.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

fyi im done talking to you,im sick of your insults,cant you just proove your point without being arrogant and use "idiocy" or "childish" as insults?

When you say you don't need facts, when you advocate destruction and vandalism because you don't agree with something, childish and idiocy are appropriate terms.

i have much more urgent things to fight for,like saving us from the muslim menace

You're the one saving us? Oh no. We're doomed.

like a disinfo agent

Thank you for once again proving Yeti correct.

So seti is thrown in the coverup/disinfo pile. Along with anyone else who has credibility and doesnt share their world view.

You once again demonstrate how closed-minded you are. There is no room for genuine disagreement. Anyone who does is a disinfo agent and worth of having their property vandalized and destroyed.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
alright man,you seem to know alot,and i sometimes may be too quick to react and jump to conclusions,i just... dont want the "they use ur pc but they coverup i they find anything" to happen.i dont know about proof,i dont know if anyone can proof this,but i really doubt if they find some aliens singal they will show it to us,and all the americas government will just let them...maybe im a pecimist..but is sure looks that way I:
and i still think if the secet military project corps USE a better way to find them,and if they FOUND aliens,and they PROBABLY did,whats the point of this project? to show THE PUBLIC that aliens exist? are the govs gonna allow that?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

i dont know about proof,i dont know if anyone can proof this,but i really doubt if they find some aliens singal they will show it to us...

In other words, with no proof whatsoever you are jumping to a conclusion.

and i still think if the secet military project corps USE a better way to find them,and if they FOUND aliens,and they PROBABLY did,whats the point of this project? to show THE PUBLIC that aliens exist? are the govs gonna allow that?

Once again you are speculating then confusing that speculation as fact. Even worse, you are using that speculation as a reason why there should be no SETI projects.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

whats the point of this project? to show THE PUBLIC that aliens exist? are the govs gonna allow that?

Seth Shostak and others have said that when good candidate signals have been found, there have been no government agents around to censor them from making any announcement, so sure they would allow it. If the source they found was 50 light years away then it would take 50 years traveling at the speed of light for the aliens to get here if they had capable spaceships, so it's not an immediate threat and probably wouldn't freak too many people out except maybe a few religious fanatics who believe aliens are impossible...heck even the Vatican admits aliens are possible now.

A SETI find of ET is a way lower impact issue psychologically than would be a revelation that aliens are actually visiting Earth. Both would be great discoveries but only the latter would be seen as an immediate concern and possible threat.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
anyway i dont want to argue no more,you just want to critisize me in every sentence i say,and to try to find wrong even in the right things i say,if u can u just think of something to make me look worse.
fine man,support seti all you want,i know ENOUGH people,who knew what sellouts and waste of money ther are and wont ever install it on theyr pc's,some of them even posted in this thread. and i will make sure to spread the message to whoever i can so if they have seti on theyr pc..they should stop!
evne though i obviously dont know so much of seti as u know,i made some cool points and facts,and not just me,and you just keeped calling us "idiots""kids""terrorists",thats reminds me how the usa labels all the people who believe 9/11 was a setup "terrorists" and all the people who believe in conspiracy theoryes "wackos",well find im a wacko,and childish and whateve ru say, but seti is a waste of money, they can even makeup signals to show "proof", we allready know aliens exist,and our government allready probably communicates/kills/trades with - them,and they wont let seti uncover everything.
even though mexico and the others seem to want to show the truth..
EVEN if seti is trustworthy i doubt theyll find something usefull searching for radiosginals traveling so slow...they are just probably spying on russia or something like that...so you know...continue to say that even that we have touchscreen iphones we only have shuttles and we dont have advanced teleportation/blackhole/spaseweapons technology,and continue to try to brainwash people to use seti,but i will do the opposite.
i would have respected you,atleast if you stoped being so rude and hostile,or atleast to say that spaceshutles are not the most advanced piece of tech.
i dont want to respond more..buy ^_^
i dont like milions of people's pc's being used for free...and to get nothing and lies in return,and i WONT let it continue! we have enough screwings like
fluoride in water,and corporate banks

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
why cant we get our own program like this, and setup a small listening station

could also do the same for a site telescope

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
why cant we get our own program like this, and setup a small listening station

could also do the same for a site telescope

You mean as an ATS project?

I think there are some sites on the internet where that might be organized but ATS is the last place I'd try it. The reason is that a disproportionately large number of ATS members think ET is already visiting Earth so why waste time with SETI?

You need some smart cookies do do the science for the signal analysis etc. unless you just copied the setiathome algorithm and I'm not sure you can do that. One of the astronomy/physics/cosmology forums might be a better bet.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
You are asking people to help look for something that Shostak doesn't even believe exists. Why is he even one of the heads of this project if he tries to debunk every UFO sighting.

I think it's more of a black project trying to hide the truth than reveal it, as do many of my fellow UFO colleagues.

No thanks, Seth has really shown that program for what it really is, a cover to hide the truth.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticantiseptic
You are asking people to help look for something that Shostak doesn't even believe exists. Why is he even one of the heads of this project if he tries to debunk every UFO sighting.

I'm not sure, but I think it was Shostak who said something like "Do you think I'd be spending all my time looking out there if I thought they were already here?" But he had mellowed out a little on his position the last time I saw him on TV according to the video I referenced earlier in this thread. You might want to watch that video.

I think part of the reason scientists shy away from UFO research is evident from reading ATS. We have some good researchers here but way more people ready to believe anything as long as it doesn't conform to mainstream science. That scares people away from the field.

And the other part of the reason is that with many UFO sightings, there's not much evidence to do science with. The predominant evidence lately seems to be video of fuzzy dots in the sky, and there's not much a scientist can do with those.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Not believing extraterrestrials are visiting the Earth is not the same as believing there are no extraterrestrials. The only people who subscribe to this notion are closed-minded believers. Deny ignorance.

I think it's more of a black project trying to hide the truth than reveal it, as do many of my fellow UFO colleagues.

No thanks, Seth has really shown that program for what it really is, a cover to hide the truth.

And another ignorant, immature believer confirms our point...

3. They have to try rationalise it in their minds becuase of course the beliver is not wrong he KNOWS aliens are visiting. So seti is thrown in the coverup/disinfo pile. Along with anyone else who has credibility and doesnt share their world view.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join