It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Hoard Of Ancient Gold Found In Field

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Let's hope that the guys receive a rewards worth it. I assume the ownership goes to the government automatically but they deserve a huge reward.

Straight to the Queen and the Rothschilds no doubt.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PenandSword

Again, another ill-informed post from someone who refuses to read the thread and learn the process.

The Government claims ownership and rewards the finder and landowner with the full market price of the hoard, which the spilt 50/50. The Government then hands over the hoard to the Museums so that they can be held for the nation.

Seriously, please read.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

That is awesome! Good for them - I am glad they will get to keep the money, instead of the govt. trying to take it, like they do when ships are found with gold.

Yes, it's much better that the private salvage consortiums get it than the government! Even though the salvage companies often illegally loot marine archaeological sights and use explosives the blow apart what at times are partially-intact historical remains.

Yes! much better that they hide the proceeds in off-shore banks, than let the government have at least a chance of preserving heritage.

After reading your flawed, dooms-day, economic drivel, in other forums, it doesn't surprise me that you would come out with something like this.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
It is a shame that the human race has lost so much of its dignity and self respect, that the majority takes to stealing before it even considers "history in the making".

Not after nor before, theft should never be a option even if he was starving. Humanity is indeed lost.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
In the case one was not to get anything from it what makes it right for a country to steal what a citizen rightfully found? The man is in hard times (unemployed) I would assume that means he is running low on cash and could use some help. If he was not running low on cash he could have just kept it in a private collection or donated it to a museum.

Integrity score: 0

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I believe it is you who is still missing the point. I am not talking about laws in Jolly Ole England; I am talking about the rights of land owners everywhere. Again I will tell you no one knew anything about this find until it was uncovered by an unemployed man in his friend’s field.

I am happy they are getting its worth in cash if not the crown and all of England be damned same goes for any country that would steal from their citizens. It is not the belongings of the state it belongs to those who have found it as the original owners are long gone off this earth.

Oh and by the way mister high and mighty is it my few errors in grammar that you feel you must attack because you know deep down the state has crushed any chance you have of real freedom? Oh that’s right this thread is not about your freedoms being taken either is it? Just like it is not about my supposed “morality” in your eyes (which I could give a rats rear about). It is about a find and a few men gaining money or not gaining money. I already mentioned on the first page even that I retract my original statement since they are getting paid in full.

reply to post by thomas_

Read my reply to the above and understand I do not care what you think about me either. Plain and simple you are owned by your government if you think they have a right to something on your land without paying you for it.

Raist

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well.... I am surprised at the turn this thread has taken, I thought people might be interested in the find itself rather than the ethics or politics involved - but thats ATS.

I believe the system we have is really rather good in that the public is always given access to our rich heritage through finds like these. Our treasures for the large part remain with us and on public display, museums are free to visit ( although a donation would be nice! )

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well put and I agree, jumping from the Op to this last page I did not and now will not sort back through the many pages to listen to arguements over one of the most miraculous finds for the 2 men and for the country which will also benifit from the historical find.

Market value to the men and generations worth of precious history for the country, very fair. However I am sure the men will be able to keep back a wee bit for their family Heirlooms...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

I am actually happy the men will get paid, I really am. I am happy your country will gain some knowledge from this find as well. My original comment as I have stated time and again was made because I missed a line stating they would get full pay. I am used to hearing about stories like this and the finders and land owners get ripped off by governments stealing from the citizens I meant nothing more than that in my original post (some seem to be unable to get past that though and wish to debate ethics on the issue which is rather shaky at best depending on the laws you were raised with.

If find the read interesting and would be interested in learning more. It may take years before anything if anything comes from this though. There is always the chance they will just label it a quality find and history’s beautiful artwork.

Raist

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I understand completely what you are saying and I know that you made a retraction early in this thread.My previous post was in no way a dig ( pun? ) at you or any poster here

We are lucky in that history is very accessable for us as a nation and I appreciate that this may not always be the case elsewhere, although I think that we are all better educated now to value our own and indeed world history

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironorchid
Well.... I am surprised at the turn this thread has taken, I thought people might be interested in the find itself rather than the ethics or politics involved - but thats ATS.

I believe the system we have is really rather good in that the public is always given access to our rich heritage through finds like these. Our treasures for the large part remain with us and on public display, museums are free to visit ( although a donation would be nice! )

Here's one person interested in the find, I think it's phenomenal. I'm always interested in ancient archaeological discoveries - I'm a history buff in general anyway.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I understand it was not a dig at me I just sort of want it cleared incase.

Where I come from people hunt, search for and collect arrowheads, and other artifacts created by Native Americans. Those that do it the correct way (the most polite way) ask permission from the land owner (a farmer) after they have just plowed up their field (revealing anything just under the surface). Those farmers that do not collect themselves are more than happy to have people get the rocks as they see them out of their soil. Some may wish to search themselves or split any finds you have.

For me this is a particular interest (though it has been since I was a child with my father that I did it) as I have ¼ Cherokee blood flowing through my veins I even have pictures of some full blood relatives. I have seen some very interesting pieces brought home by my father I learned more history about the Natives by doing this and other research than I ever did from the government run schools here.

There are those who do their hunting the wrong way though. You can tell by looking at the ground where Natives might have had a village or even a burial ground. It is sort of a lot to explain let’s just say that those who know what to look for know where they can find some amazing stuff. But in order to do that they must dig for it. I refuse to dig it up as it is not yet ready to come to the surface. When it is ready to see the sun again and be revealed it will show itself to someone and they will learn from it or teach others with it. But some are only out to make a profit. For me it is something that my ancestors might have created and should belong to no one else unless I chose for it to (just like my parent’s belongings after they pass on).
Here if I dig something up and offer it to the government they are just going to take it and claim what is rightfully mine (by heritage if nothing else) or give me pennies on the dollar for it. Then they will take it and either sell it to a big collector or stuff it in the back of some museum not to be seen again.

I am glad these men get a better chance at their rightful claim. Some would not be so lucky.

Raist

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Looks like a fantastic find.Only a few miles from where i live.I think museum's generally raise money for treasures like this or get grants from the lottery fund.This is one case where i think government intervention is a good thing.Our Treasure trove laws seem pretty fair to everyone.It would be tragic if they were stolen or melted down.I've seen a number of the objects they're nearly all military.The best explanation is that they were won in battle .then hidden, as sword blades were expensive so the fittings were stashed and the blades refitted.If they had been caught with the stolen fitting by rival groups they would have been attacked.I don't think they are as well crafted as the sutton hoo treasure but maybe it's because they haven't been cleaned yet.I hope they straiten out the bent metal as they don't always do this eg the Ringlemere gold cup .

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
How cool. I've been wanting to get a metal detector for awhile now, what an amazing find. The story made me realize how much more is still hidden right under our noses.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The BBC article I read said that the money would be shared between the Land Owner and the guy who found it. Which is quite fair.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

This is cool!!!!
I have a metal detector I'm gonna dust it off and go lookin! the guy found a literal motherlod! I also agree it belongs in a museum.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Apologies if I missed this on one of the previous pages. This part of the story, I feel, warrants a thread by itself, albeit in 'Paranormal' forum:
Spirits Guided Man to Treasure Trove

Excerpt:

Mr Herbert described the day he found the treasure, including a spooky detail before he set out for his day's detecting. "I have this phrase that I say sometimes; 'spirits of yesteryear take me where the coins appear', but on that day I changed coins to gold," he said. "I don't know why I said it that day, but I think somebody was listening and directed me to it... This is what metal detectorists dream of, finding stuff like this. But the vast amount there is is just unbelievable.

Now, I'm not known to be a big advocate of labelling every unexplained or curious event as paranormal, but I do find it interesting that he just happened to change one word of his mantra this time to make it more specific about what he wanted to find.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wow this is just an insane find! Very deserving man obviously, and the landowner was nice enough to let him use his property - so both deserve equal shares of the full amount of treasure.

Damn, how often do you get to use the word treasure and actual be referring to an actual modern treasure find?

I wish I would have found it though, lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Raist
The smart thing to do would have been to not tell anyone and then eventually sell it off piece by piece over time.

No, that would not have been the samrt thing to do. That would have been the dishonest thing to do. He will be amply rewarded and the nation will benefit by having the hoard presented in such a way that it can be studied and preserved.

Regards

Probably already been mentioned, but I've gotta scoot so just wanna say, when I saw this on the news this morning, they said that both the finder and the farmer who owned the land would split the value between them, in the order of half a million pounds, I think... Thats not something to complain about... Certainly would do an Unemployed bloke a bit of relief !

And they're keeping the area secret - good call. Good find!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Very cool story, man, I would love to find something like this! Who wouldn't? I used to go out with a metal detector, found a lot of stuff, nothing of real significant value, but it was a lot of fun. Thanks for the story, love it when gloom and doom misses the news!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join