It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Hoard Of Ancient Gold Found In Field

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Before you all go out and buy metal detectors, you should know that many places that would be fun to search have banned metal detecting. Believe it or not, even many public beaches have banned it! Some beaches only allow metal detecting in the off-season. The one where I hunt will not even let you hunt early in the morning or in the evening, even if you wear headphones so no one has to hear the beeping. Many years ago, they allowed you to hunt if you bought a permit, but not anymore. They actually pay one guy (who does HE know, anyway?) to hunt if someone who has lost an item requests help.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigismundus
I hope a large museum e.g. the British Museum makes the new owners of thes priceless artifacts a good offer so that it might one day go on 'tour' - we here in the US are sadly misinformed about AngloSaxon England, and it would open up the imaginations of schoolchildren as well as adults to be able to see these wonderful art-craft pieces up close and personal.

Now to everyone in Staffordshire reading this: GO OUT AND GET A GOOD WORKING METAL DETECTOR and QUICK TOO---any field will do, but there has GOT TO BE MORE buried in the earth (just make sure you keep you batteries fresh !)

Quite a few items have been found in staffordshire over the last few years and there are plenty of metal detectorists,

www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...

an article explaing the importance of rocester(RORIVACASTR) with another coin cache
"
The coins also provide insights into the dating of the hoard, and into the political situation in northern England in the 920s. In addition to the St Peter coins, the hoard contains other Viking issues in the name of St Martin of Lincoln and the Viking ruler Sihtric (921–27), together with a new but related type from the previously unrecorded mint of RORIVACASTR. This has been tentatively identified with Rocester in Staffordshire, suggesting that Viking control extended further in this period than has previously been realised.The hoard ends with coins of the Anglo-Saxon king Athelstan (924–39), who took control of Viking Northumbria in 927, a key moment in the unification of England."

(approx 2oo years after the new stash was lost or just buried..)

This enamelled bowl is amazing
www.stoke.gov.uk... .en

,the total weight of this find though is three times that of sutton hoo,and consists of many jewelled sword pommels cut from the swords of vanquished enemies stones from sri lanka and burma , gold from byzantiumaccording to some historians a village in the north of staffordshire was the neutral meeting place of the different regional tribes..if anybody is into leys ,plot a few and see where they lead around ...I may be able to see these items in the next week if i can photo them i will post them here

external link from news www.extrageographic.org...

www.stokearchaeologysociety.org.uk...

[edit on 25-9-2009 by gambon]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
What i don't understand is where in England did they mine this gold..

Is there a lost goldmine in England.

Here in calif we have gold mines from border to border and its easy to find gold.

Between 1998 and 2003 i found over $100,000 in gold in one mine in the mother load area of Calif with a whites metal detector.

I have friends that found over $1,000,000 in less then a week in the mine next door.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Let's hope that the guys receive a rewards worth it. I assume the ownership goes to the government automatically but they deserve a huge reward.

Seems UK has a finders keepers rule...

The find was declared as treasure by coroner Andrew Haigh, which means the cache will be offered for sale after it is valued.

Once a valuation and sale of the hoard have been completed, the market value of the find will go to Mr Herbert and the owner of the farmland where it was discovered.

Sky News

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

There is a little gold to be found in the UK. Small deposits in Cornwall and nuggets 'panned' from some rivers particularly in Wales. Not exactly Klondike I'm afraid. A lot of the gold found its way into what has become the Crowns of State.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I went to see the gold yesterday at the Birmingham museum, and ive gotta say i was hypnotised by the beauty of it, there was people there who where jewelers and they couldnt understand how they where made, they where stunning. It has also been suggested that the crowds waiting to get in and have a look was like when king tuts find was placed in a museum, there was a que before the museum opened.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Dude read the post , the gold came from byzantium via trade routes , the precious stones from sri lanka and myanmar/burma

[edit on 30-9-2009 by gambon]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
What a jammy bar steward! Great thing for historians too.
I built a metal detector as an electronics project when I was a kid. Took it out a few times & found some rusty crap & an unfired shotgun cartridge. Got bored of it & sold it to a mate.
A few months later he found an antique coach lamp that turned out to be worth a fair bit because of the intact lense which was made in some interesting way. He was good enough to share a little. He soon got bored of it too tho...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
I went to see the gold yesterday at the Birmingham museum, and ive gotta say i was hypnotised by the beauty of it,

So hypnotized you forgot to take pictures to share with us

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Let's see your income tax receipt

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I bet the banking cartel ended up with the gold!

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by PsykoOps

The smart thing to do would have been to not tell anyone and then eventually sell it off piece by piece over time.

If you come into a large sum of money legally never tell others, especially the government.

Sounds like the best option, especially if the government are going to cause more problems with it like they usually would. By giving it over to them you're actually funding the crap they do. The best thing I could probably imagine would be to get your own money situation sorted, then take your time finding decent people who hardly have any cash and give bits/sell bits really cheaply to as many of them as possible.

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
I went to see the gold yesterday at the Birmingham museum, and ive gotta say i was hypnotised by the beauty of it, there was people there who where jewelers and they couldnt understand how they where made, they where stunning. It has also been suggested that the crowds waiting to get in and have a look was like when king tuts find was placed in a museum, there was a que before the museum opened.

Wow so the bankers didn't end up with it? They probably will do eventually.

edit on 1-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Well, metal detecting is not so easy than you think. I've tried so hard and only find several coins. Does your metal detecting go on smoothly?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsleyke

A Garrett ace 150 or 250 are the best entry level all round detectors, I have the 250 and have now upgraded the coil to a larger one.......These detectors can and have found hoards.

Also in the UK you can apply to the Crown Estate for a permit to detect on lots of beaches owned by the Crown Estates for free...so if you live near the coast you're sorted.

For me its been a great hobby and has improved my knowledge of history due to researching the finds, But you will find lots and lots of rubbish.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Oh and btw let me link you to some of imo the best detecting vids on youtube....

CoinageBritannia
edit on 24-7-2013 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Raist
The smart thing to do would have been to not tell anyone and then eventually sell it off piece by piece over time.

No, that would not have been the samrt thing to do. That would have been the dishonest thing to do. He will be amply rewarded and the nation will benefit by having the hoard presented in such a way that it can be studied and preserved.

Regards

dishonest??? how was that GOLD gotten in the first place, some rich Royal didn't work out in the fields to earn it himself, ....one other thing, if someone else "studies and preserves it"....that's just a better sounding "I've got it now, and you can't have it".....sorry buddy, but if I ever found ancient gold treasure, I would make sure I got full value for it. I'll let the guy that buys it from me, donate it to be "studied and preserved"

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If I ever find a hoard, it will be melted down into gold nuggets and sold over time. My gold prospecting hobby will provide an excellent cover story. The government does not need anymore riches. They cannot properly spend the money they have.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
If you sell it piece by piece changes are that they go to some private collection. I'd love to see this stuff in a museum instead.

This world is full of museums filled with old junk. Sure nice to look at and study to see how these people lived BUT - This is GOLD. I say the guy deserves to keep every dimes worth and damn the government.

If i found something buried in my back yard Obama himself would get an ass full of buck shot if he tried to take it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

I think before handing it over, I would have got something written down on paper and signed!

I would have said maybe 3 to 5 Million.... so that I could then buy the things I wanted and have some cash left over in the Bank! I would also have asked that any Taxes void for the rest of my life!

And I reckon this find is most likely worth around 10 times as much, so to ask for 3 to 5 Mil wouldn't be asking too much IMO.
edit on 25-7-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

So who in this case were the likely combatants? Apparently some Sax got the tail end of this.

Also what was the religious affiliation? Looks like some type of christian artifacts.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Really good recovery. Better than me. I found only several coins during the past two months. I found that metal detecting is far more difficult than I think. Besides owning a good metal detector, the most important thing is that you should be very patient. Because you will find much more scraps than treasures.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join