It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Hoard Of Ancient Gold Found In Field

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Very well...I understand survival "very well" and it is a forefront in my daily life. Yes, I have been on hard times...no I would not steal the "treasure-hunter's find of the century" no matter how low I had fallen. I guess I just "know" that reward will come to those who do not profit from theft and deceit.

I guess we should both just be thankful we are fathers and feel good for the guy who found all that gold and allow this thread to go back on topic.

I'm sorry for bothering anyone with what I type.

As for the OP, whooooohoooooooooo!!! Epic find of the century! GOLDEN DISCOVERY!

I am so glad this dude reported his find "as demanded by law" and that it shall all be cataloged, shared with the public and added to the history of our great species!

Bet your butts you will be hearing the details and "discoveries within the discovery" as soon as it begins being officially studied.

Can't wait.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

Very cool! I would love to find something like that. I would donate to a museum but ask to keep one piece for myself

S&F!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I would've dropped about three loads in my drawers if I had found that. I also would've removed some of the primo stuff and then reported the remaining stuff.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

I guess that's the good thing about living in rural areas. You never know what treasure lies beneath.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Under UK law... Simplistically if the item found is over 300 years old and has a % of precious metals (etc) then it belongs to the Crown. The Crown (i.e. the courts) determine the level of compensation to be paid to the person who found the "treasure" and to the landowner. In this case, the compensation is market value, as is normal.

The laws in the UK exists because:
(a) The UK is rich in history and people are always finding artefacts which have great historical significance and national value - not necessarily financial.
(b) To reduce the risk of looting ancient sites and landscapes.
(c) To preserve treasure for the nation - i.e. finds end up in UK museums, rather than ending up in (say) Texas.
(d) To reward people for being honest. If they find something they will hand it in and be assured that they will be rewarded.

I think this is a good law. It does not enrich the government...

Regards

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Great job OP, of bringing an exciting event to us.

Always liked these kind of stories. And when they're true . .even better.

It just appeals to the adventure that's there in all of us.

Finding something . . worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

that made me weep. beautiful.
the treasure you found was better than a pile of old gold.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thank you all for taking the trouble to read this.

The hoard has today been declared Treasure Trove which means that it now belongs to the crown with both the landowner and the finder being compensated for the full value - everybody wins in cases like these and of course the public get to see them whenever they like.

For those not familiar with the UK, the unusual thing about this find is its location - Birmingham/Midlands. Other similar treasures are generally found in the south east so that begs the question of who did it belong to?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Here is a link to the gallery of Anglo-Saxon images.

I think they're all there.

This is an amazing find.

Enjoy.

Scroll down to the first set of images..

www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk...

[edit on 24/9/09 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

well said, this is the kind of thing i want too see in my local museum. Its people who steal things and sell them privately that make a lot of the best ritches and artifacts disappear to be never seen again.

Thanks OP for the thread, i love looking for things myself, i find a lot of old things, not worth anything to anybody but to me its fun, i find old pennies and full clay pipes just by digging a few inches in fields. One day i may find a good hoard, one day!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Here is a link en.wikipedia.org... showing the area in ancient times - the kingdom of Mercia together with a king list of the times. This surely has to belong to one of these?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have to wonder when these types of treasures are found, what the true history is as to how they originally got there. Tax collectors bandits etc. I wonder if there's still any archives as to the history of the land and who had owned it.

When I hear stories of sunken treasures and the original owners fighting to get it back, I have to wonder why they didn't do their own salvage operations.

I think Blackbeards treasure is near the coast of South Carolina. It may also be possible treasures were found and than buried again on their own property claiming it to have been there all along.

Many older buildings are also said to have hidden gold etc. when the banks weren't trusted or it was stolen.

I wonder what the odds are of people hiding things in walls of their homes and that are forgotten.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Hi Aleon

Many areas of the UK have been subject to invasion over the centuries - the Romans took this from the Britons and the Saxons invaded when they left only to be followed by the Danes.
It would make sense to bury valuables during times of upheaval although obviously much was never retrieved. The Sutton Hoo treasure was part of a burial hoard ( how rich was he!! ) and was never meant to be dug up.

There are still lots of burial mounds to be seen in Britain and one wonders what kind of artifacts were originally in those.
The beautiful workmanship of these finds makes one think that the Darl Ages were maybe not so dark after all.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Here is a link www.britishmuseum.org... to the Sutton Hoo treasure at the British Museum ( see the similarities? )
It is said that the new find will first be displayed in Birmingham and will eventually find its way there.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

That’s fine we can agree to disagree on various points of the story, I am fine with that.

I am just happy the men are getting full value that find. If they had not been getting full value in my eyes it is theft by the state from the rightful owners which are the land owner and the finder. Without either this would still be under the ground.

When the men get full value and the state gains a treasure it is a win for both parties. Happy days ahead for the unemployed man, this will certainly help him out.

Raist

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is only just up the road from me, it makes you wonder what else is buried under the ground around here!

I might have to purchase a metal detector and begin a more thorough investigation into my own little corner of the ancient kingdom of Mercia.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Belongs to the “crown”? Really so they planted it there and know it was there and were just waiting for someone to find it?

Without the people the “crown” has no power.

I understand such laws to the point as long as the finder and at that point rightful owner receives market value. If they do not it is a gain of the state and theft by the state. The find belonged to no one until it is once again uncovered. When it is uncovered it belongs to those who uncover it. So long as they are getting paid the correct amount I have no issue with them turning it over to their government. If they are not they are being foolish and have given up in the one man’s case a chance to get on his feet again.

I didn’t mean for my original statement to start a debate, I simply missed the part where it said they get paid what if is worth. I am happy they found the artifacts but I am happier they are not getting ripped off by the government.

Raist

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironorchid
Here is a link www.britishmuseum.org... to the Sutton Hoo treasure at the British Museum ( see the similarities? )
It is said that the new find will first be displayed in Birmingham and will eventually find its way there.

The other link someone else posted wasn't working. Even though your link only showed a few, it was still incredible. The craftsmanship of many of these pieces and the detail is incredible. I had been led to believe they weren't as detailed as these with the inlays.

I have to wonder what type of tools they used and the time it took to makes them. Those details and tools would also be valuable or actually priceless treasures. Most importantly ( to me anyway) was the craftsman themselves and who they are or were.

The asian people have been shown to be very detailed artists and craftsmen.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Wow! Sweet find!

You know, it's absolutely true, what they say in the article. When I got my metal detector, my friends laughed and called it a seven hundred dollar "penny finder".

I was so eager to try it out, that I brought it to a job-site the next day and got it out at lunchtime. It didn't take me all of 30 seconds to find a 1917 penny! Since then I've only had a few opportunities to play with it, but I always seem to come home with a few silver coins.

I know what I'm doing this weekend!

The workmanship in those pieces is just unreal, thanks for sharing.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
llllllllluuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyyyyyy! i was going to take mine out for a go, until now i thought it would have been a waste of time!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join