It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airplane view of Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Airplane view of Mars

www.cnn.com

What would you see if you could fly over Mars in a plane and look out the window?

It must be something like the thousands of curious, intriguing and spectacular images taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera mounted on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The University of Arizona, Tucson, which operates HiRISE, has just released a new batch of these photos taken in the last several months.

Looking at some of the photos, you feel like you're flying over the Grand Canyon or the Sahara. Others are distinctly extraterrestrial in nature. In all cases, th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Fresh Cannon fodder for Image analysis!

Pics are being release from Nasa's HiRISE Camera on the Reconnaissance Orbiter and they are pretty spectacular.

Get ready for Many rounds of speculation

I'm going to start looking them over and anyone else who is interested can check them out as well, anomalies, anything out of the ordinary? We shall see.

Click here HiRISE For access to the images

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-9-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One thing I can see already is that this time there is a bevy of shots that show water flow in the past many that seem to show Ice water right now...

Posted this as soon as I saw it, how pictures were taken, colors etc I need to do some reading on, but at a glance it seems like these shots have abundant evidence of previous water flow.

Funny it took so long for them to admit / confirm the existence of water and now it's simply unloaded... Huge numbers of these images labeled "gullied"

Couple of interesting shots right there of gullied terrain

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This appears to be a hot of the terrain once referred to as the martian forest or trees....

They have it now labeled as geysers, which is current theory... Really interesting though, actual geysers? implies internal heat, melting atmospheric discharge from within the planet...

A Bonanza imho

This should definitely be a site for a future landing, video or even stills of Martian Ground level geyser eruption would be priceless...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Funny it took so long for them to admit / confirm the existence of water and now it's simply unloaded... Huge numbers of these images labeled "gullied"

It is amazing to watch the disclosure process unfold.

First the thing is denied - whatever it is.

Then overnight the data appears. It shows up with names and dates and places all in order as if the information has always been there. Even image data does not escape.

It is like the opposite of the memory hole.

The end result is that the next generation receives entirely different information and views the world through a different paradigm than the prior generation (who were kept in the dark to that which is now 'common knowledge' and which some will testify 'always has been').

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Interesting, yes. Although the first image looks like cat poop

hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu...

which is shades of Art Bell when NASA released "new" images of Cydonia. Remember "the cat box" images of Cydonia?

[edit on 6-9-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

It's way overdue that a manned mission be mounted...

These pics at a glance and it will be a day or so before I really can analyze, but at a glance, this is a planet that needs a manned landing for sure...

(not that I haven't been saying that my whole life)

But there is no reason for such a slow process... there is lots of water, geysers now? I can't wait to pour over these more

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

We should launch a probe fill with seeds to scatter over the martian surface.

Had we done that years ago, there might really be trees on mars now.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This looks like a pretty cool thread. Maybe when the servers to that website linked aren't so busy I can actually look at the pics.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Your links not going through for some reason but I do remember the cat box image lol.... funny stuff.

these are pretty detailed, thing is though they have been shrunk and jpg'd

I have to wonder about tampering, apparently they have been coming in for almost 2 months

Btw nice avatar switch Plucky...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yeah they must be jammed... slow as heck right now, wasn't that way an hr ago...

LOL, someone must have informed them the images were up on ATS

I picture countless nerds with photoshop mastering the spot correction tools right about now

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I seriously am happy our first probes weren't properly decontaminated actually...

I have no problem with 'infecting" other worlds with life I think that should genuinely be a mission as well, a probe with camera and release of basic life forms that might be able to survive in the martian environment

Ants come to mind, some Fungi, other stuff...

An experiment

It crosses my mind that if they didn't think there was life on Mars in the first place what would the worry of contamination actually be?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Damn, I wish I could see these images! Oh well.
I suppose I shall wait.. I wonder how many will claim they've been Photoshopped?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
you can get through, it periodically gets faster and slower, but you can get to the images now....

it was fine and had been on CNN awhile as soon as I posted this it slowed down, I somehow doubt ats traffic was the straw that broke the servers back tonight, not to think creepy but I have to wonder that they are not fans of people analyzing the images and would like the thread to die...

stranger things have happened

Kind of odd to me that a space agency and university can't keep the server traffic lowing when releasing images

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Oh man, I wouldn't start with ants...
Then, 20 years down the line, you get this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26d47c7073f9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I have actually seen studies in which ants have survived a couple of weeks in an oxygen deprived environment...

But there are a few things to give them a boost i'd drop

extremeophille

Bacteria that lives in the Atacama Desert and actually feeds on the high Perchlorate content that is found in the martian environment

Then there are hundreds, thousands of types of bacteria that thrive in moist cave environments and would be ideal for Mars if injected a bit deeper...

Various fungi have survived months in space and could become food stores for the ants...

In fact I'd go so farto say a single mission planned right could colonize Mars with life forever if it's not all ready there.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I would think you would want to do something like that in a much more controllable environment first.
Like, recreate the exact conditions here and see if it works here first.

I posted the picture of "Them" in half-jest. You seriously wouldn't want to go creating ecosystems unless you knew precisely what was going to be the outcome. IMO anyhow.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Click here HiRISE For access to the images

Hey, can you check this link (if you haven't already)?
I can't get it to load.

I'll come back and edit this post and add something more after I've read all and seen all you've presented.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We have a conspiracy brewing before our eyes.
They have jammed the site.
They are READING THIS THREAD!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Actually, "they" have been talking about water and gullies for quite a while:
www.nasa.gov...
www.cnn.com...
www.cnn.com...
www.popularmechanics.com...
www.pbs.org...

The geysers are not water geysers and they are not a result of internal heat. They are carbon dioxide which sublimates during the Martian spring after being frozen all winter.

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Phage]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join