It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The Obama administration is rethinking its course recommendations for students ahead of President Obama's address to the the nation's schoolchildren next week, rewriting its suggestions to teachers for student assignments on how to "help the president,"

The Washington Times reported Thursday that presidential aides acknowledged they helped the U.S. Education Department write the suggested assignments, which stirred criticism by many who say Obama is trying to indoctrinate the education system.

White House aides said the language was supposed to be a inspirational, pro-education message to America's youths, but its unintended consequences were evident.

Among the activities initially suggested for pre-K to 6th grade students was to "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

Another assignment for students after hearing the speech was to discuss what "the president wants us to do."

Continue reading:
www.washingtontimes.com...

What a reversal.
It seems they make plans, the public balks at them and the administration does a 180.

More Flip-Floppery!
Maybe the WH should invest in a flip-flop factory?

[edit on 3-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

It is much better than the "What do your parents make? Turn them in if they say something naughty about Obama. And, draw the ameican flag with your favorite president in the middle, exercises."

Seriously, my 6 year old is "calling" in that day. Think I'll take him to a museum instead.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Your not alone

Protect Your Kids From Obama On Sept. 8th
bytestyle.tv...

Make Sept 8 Parentally-Approved Skip School Day
www.politico.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hey Warren

I just saw a video about this last night...first I'd heard of it. I find myself to be as "on the fence" about them showing this in schools as I am about Obama himself.

You said they make the plans and people squawk and then they change the plans....am I missing some important point here? Aren't they SUPPOSED to be responding to us like that??

I was also wondering if the schools themselves are planning on notifying parents of this historic event? Is attendance mandatory? Will there be consequences for those who don't attend? Is "conscientious objection" a good excuse?

I have a 7 yr old in private school. I plan to email them today to find out what their plans are.

Interesting topic. Glad you posted it.

EDIT I did email and will post any replies here. dg

[edit on 3-9-2009 by ThatDGgirl]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hello WarrenB, how many reversals by the White House does this make now? Are they deliberately trying to confuse everyone?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
For a guy that acts so sure of himself it would seem the only balls he has are on the basketball court.

I can't remember a president that backpedals and responds to criticism the way O does. This guy is really showing that he is not what he claims to be in every aspect of his presidency.

Press cries, backtrack
People oppose, whine
People criticize, make them an enemy

What is next with this guy?????

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Man this whole administration is a GD joke. I hope that it all ends soon. (Not the world just his time in office).

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I called the school this morning and the girl in the office had no idea about any of it. I told her the Obama garbage that was supposed to be aired on Tuesday and she seemed taken aback when I said that, maybe the WAY I said it. Said she didn't watch the news. She's supposed to find out and I'll call back later.

I saw the story on them changing their tune on the Greta van Sustren show last night (although there was a guest host).

Either way, I don't approve regardless of what they say they are going to change.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Oh good lord.

No matter what the man does you find fault with it.

And you wonder why poeple think this site is hijacked.

But if he didn't reverse, and listen to the people. You would go on accussing him of indoctrinating and not listening to the people and all sorts of satanic things.

Some of you need to grow up.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Ya guys are full of it

You accuse the guy of being a Nazi and indoctrination, yet when he goes to quell
the fear for people like you, you piss on him anyways.

You guys are the joke, GOP 2012!!! Amen

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Did they do so because they had a change of heart or because they feared a public backlash? Almost certainly the latter. He'd still be including the objectionable material if not for the public speaking out.

He didn't change his mind, he was forced to back away from it. He got caught.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
reply to post by warrenb

Ya guys are full of it

You accuse the guy of being a Nazi and indoctrination, yet when he goes to quell

Who's the joke? Nowhere do I mention any of those accusations.
Maybe you need to take a long look in the mirror.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

The Obama administration is rethinking its course recommendations for students ahead of President Obama's address to the the nation's schoolchildren next week, rewriting its suggestions to teachers for student assignments on how to "help the president,"

What a sad state of affairs when people refuse to let their children listen to a message to them from the President. For crying out loud...Obama's treated like an occupying enemy!

I don't like Steve...but he is our PM and I respect both that fact and the office...and will do my best to vote him out. Meanwhile...he was elected...

This current partisan crap in the US is just ripping it apart, which sure as hell serves somebody. For all the rhetoric...and to invoke a word I dislike...there's yer sheeple...the ones that have forgotten that the "other side" is still American.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Oh good lord.

No matter what the man does you find fault with it.

And you wonder why poeple think this site is hijacked.

But if he didn't reverse, and listen to the people. You would go on accussing him of indoctrinating and not listening to the people and all sorts of satanic things.

Some of you need to grow up.

He should not have done it in the first place. Reverse his approach? The initial idea was wrong! Bush, Obama, Hitler, The friggin' Blue Man Group, has no right to indoctrinate my kid!
It's like saying,"I'm going to stab you in the heart! Oh. Ok, I'll just stab you in the spleen."
-sheesh-

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I am my childs moral tutor.

And my boys will not be attending school Sept 8th.

I wonder how many of you who are saying "get over it" would take your own

advice had it been GWB doing this.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

And just what do you think the responce would be if President Bush tried this? Would you still have the "Give the guy a break" feeling you have now or would you be screaming that President Bush has no right to do this?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

Originally posted by mental modulator
reply to post by warrenb

Ya guys are full of it

Who's the joke? Nowhere do I mention any of those accusations.
Maybe you need to take a long look in the mirror.

Do you think I don't see the stuff you post here everyday???

LETS drop the coy act and call it like it is, you don't have to reference it directly,
that is the point of a whisper campaign.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If no one else will say it, I will. This stinks like nazi germany in the 1930's. Czars, civilian police, government take over of industry, cripes, don't you people READ history?

-sick-

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

And just what do you think the responce would be if President Bush tried this? Would you still have the "Give the guy a break" feeling you have now or would you be screaming that President Bush has no right to do this?

I doubt Bush would have gone up there and tried to pitch the war to schoolkids...I would think he'd have tried to inspire them to be good Americans, and to aspire to be the best that they can be. Sounds like that's essentially what Obama's got in mind...and I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with that. No matter what your politics.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

BUT....and I don't disagree with your post, I'm just looking at the other side. Isn't there a valid point to be made about getting children involved in the political process? Teaching them that they CAN make a difference? Truly, I'm really not sure about any of it?

I did NOT vote Obama, so please don't assume I'm a supporter.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join