It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
We had a fair idea until the flip-flop...

You do realize that he's not changing his speech, don't you?

He's only changing this stupid Q&A guideline for teachers, which I don't think should ever have been put out in the first place. If teachers have the decision to show this to their students, then they can decide what to talk about, if anything, around it.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Benevolent, this is a reply to many of your posts not just the one linked here.

First of all, they have been saying over and over again that this is the first time a president has ever done this.

As for not knowing what he is going to say, THAT is the problem!!!!

No one is being made privy to what he will be saying. AND it is being made for the kids only. No parental involvment here at all. If you really want the kids to make goals on their life skills then why not do this in the evening when your parents can be included.

Yes they might have changed some of the questions to ask kids, but those questions were there to respond to points being made in the address. They did not say they were changing the address. Therefore I have to assume nothing has changed.

The superintendant of our neighboring school district made his statement on the radio this morning stating that he will not allow this in his schools. He is not being made aware of what is going to be in this address and there is too much pointing to this being a political agenda. We are waiting to hear what our school district is going to say about it. Right now, they are not answering phone calls, and not telling anything to the principals whom I have spoken to. Those principals said they did not want to, and assume that there will be an opprotunity for kids to watch something else during that time but so far central office is not saying a thing. If they do not let us know by the end of school Friday my kids will not go Tuesday.

I do want to point out that I have no issues what so ever with a president addressing children to encourage them to do well in school. I do not agree with secrets, I do not agree with pledging to be a servent of the President. Along with many other things.

There is no reason at all for excluding parents and all adults who are responsible for our kids. That is a red flag that something is not right.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by mrsdudara]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I didn't mention anything about his speech to the kiddies in particular...rather the before and after of the interactions of the students with him

It's like his recent press conferences where all questions are pre-screened and pre-answered.

In any event I find it sad that there is no open honest debate available between those that govern and those that toil.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is all from the OP's source. Too bad no one read it.

Mr. Vietor said the reaction to the lesson plan may not have been so strong had the curriculum been circulated after people heard the speech, which he said does not mention any political issues and does not stray from a clear message encouraging children to excel and stay in school.

The speech is "about the value of education and the importance of staying in school as part of his effort to dramatically cut the dropout rate. It's not a policy speech," Mr. Vietor said.

Source

This is what everyone is so up in arms about their children hearing from their president.

I know it kind of deflates all the talk of "indoctrination" and immature accusations and insinuations that Obama is trying to brainwash your children, but I think a few facts are needed here, instead of letting your imaginations spin completely out of control.

"It's admirable that President Obama would challenge our schoolchildren to do their best, and it's the kind of message that most level-headed Americans can easily get behind."
"The fact that a standard issue speech by a president, with a good, common sense, even conservative message about education, school, hard work and perseverance, is being hit hard by the right tells us how dysfunctional our politics are, how shrill the discourse is getting from the president's foes, and how some people are blinded from common sense by their visceral hatred for Obama and his side of the aisle," Mr. Orenstein said.

The spin on this and the ignorance displayed here by people who proudly display badges of denying ignorance baffles me completely. It's embarrassing.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
First of all, they have been saying over and over again that this is the first time a president has ever done this.

Who said that?

No one is being made privy to what he will be saying. AND it is being made for the kids only.

You can watch it just like everyone else. It's being broadcast on whitehouse.gov.

The superintendant of our neighboring school district made his statement on the radio this morning stating that he will not allow this in his schools.

That's fine. It's not mandatory. In fact, many teachers don't even know about it.

There is no reason at all for excluding parents and all adults who are responsible for our kids. That is a red flag that something is not right.

Did you say the same thing when Bush Sr. did it DURING SCHOOL HOURS?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I read that. People on the news have read that too. I have no worries about him talking about political issues. Political agenda and political issues are two different things.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

What, in the brief history of this president, gives you the thought that this won't be manipulative?

President saying, "Stay in school?" Sounds good to me.

But this is something different. There wouldn't be the stink if there wasn't. These new "pledges" and subtle and not so subtle references by his czars and spokespeople gives me pause.

We'll know for sure on tuesday, but it'll have to be after my son and I have had a nice day at the aquarium.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Well, WHERE did you read it? WHO said it? Glenn Beck? I have shown here that it has been done before and so who are you going to believe?

It's the cynical and "party loyalist" political atmosphere fed by nutjobs in the media like Glenn Beck, Keith Olbermann, Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews that sadly, even true, real conservatives and liberals are eating up like pablum that is causing all these lies and insinuations to be believed.

It's just sickening and I hate to see the people on ATS (Deny Ignorance, indeed!) running off like chickens with their heads cut off or little old dried up closed-minded bitties at a quilting party, gossiping and blowing everything out of proportion, until nothing they're saying maps to reality in any way.

Ugh! That's not what this site is about. It's so frustrating.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The only time the government helps the commoners is for photo ops to garner good PR points for the MSM to eat up and for the easily persuaded to swallow.

Onwards...

Can anyone name 10 recent things the government has done to help people that has actually succeeded at the intended purpose?

How about 10 recent failures?

[edit on 3-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
But this is something different. There wouldn't be the stink if there wasn't.

So, you think the "stink" made by people who don't have a clue what he's going to say is reason enough to be afraid? You're taking the word of people who are TOTALLY ignorant on the subject? OK. If that's what you do, that's what you do.

These new "pledges"

These aren't new. That pledge video by Demi Moore et.al was posted in JANUARY. There were threads on ATS about it then. It's just been brought up now and spoon fed to you to trick you into thinking that it has something to do with this school speech of Obama's. Congratulations on lapping it up.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Onwards...

Can anyone name 10 recent things the government has done to help people that has actually succeeded at the intended purpose?

How about 10 recent failures?

What? You're hijacking your own thread now because some logic, reason and TRUTH is being brought into it and you're threatened by that? How transparent!

Your agenda is clear. I just hope people take note of the spin you put on this thread and remember to look for the facts next time you post something.

Carry on... BH out.

Deny Ignorance! REALLY!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I just got off the phone with my sons school.

They are now debating whether or not to show it.

If THEY are concerned, then I will be also.

The words "I pledge to the president" scare me. We should never have to say something like that.

I pledge allegence to the flag, yeah, that sounds right.

Too much like 1984 to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Backtrack My A_ _!

What kind of administration would even try this Pied Piper tactic. This was clearly an attempt at brainwashing your young impressionable children to the "Obama as god and savior" mentality that all those Hollywood stars are cheering for.

This is not a case of reversing a errant political policy or position. This is a case of getting caught trying his hand at propaganda. One that would elevate one man over the very constitution that reignes him in.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It's just sickening and I hate to see the people on ATS (Deny Ignorance, indeed!) running off like chickens with their heads cut off or little old dried up closed-minded bitties at a quilting party, gossiping and blowing everything out of proportion, until nothing they're saying maps to reality in any way.

EXCUSE ME?!?!?! Now you are resorting to name calling and insults because we are being cautious about who and what influences our children and how???

If you have watched the news at all you would have heard it too. I have happened to watch this on several channels to hear all the different opinions they have all said the same thing that this is a first. Congrats on finding something from back in 1991 I havent been able to find anything other than what you linked to, BUT I did happen to be a student in high school then and there was something on by Mrs. Bush. Education was her thing. I honestly dont care about a speech back then. I was not a parent then.

My husband did just hear from our superintendant and he said that they will not allow it for the elementary schools or middle schools. They will allow it for the high schools if it is during social studies or current events class and only if the student brings back a signed permission slip. He said that he believes it is just a work hard in school message, but because they are not alllowed to view it first, they will not allow the younger kids to watch it.

BTW as for the pledge video, it being posted in January does not make it ok. Nothing will make it ok. It deffinantly fits in here. It was shown to elementary school kids. It proved lack of judgment.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by mrsdudara]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

I am mature enough to take a president, whether I like him or not, and go by policy by policy.

I don't dismiss and slander every single thing they do because of bipartisan emotional pandering.

I think you miss out if you do a one size fits all approach.

I can take each action and policy and decide on that. There are policies that GW that I did like.

If I thought that the message GW or anyone else, whoever they may be, was a decent message, I would of let my kids watch.

Everyone whines that youth are apathetic to politics. Yet, when a president tries to send a message directly to them to get them involved, it is indoctrination.

If I thought that message from GW was about encouraging children to get into politics, heck yea I would get them to watch.

To remove your children from being able to make their own political decisions, and not to get to hear both sides, or learn who their president is strictly based on the parent's pre-conceived notions...is indoctrination.
And by doing so, you are inhibiting your child's education.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Perfect evidence of bipartisan fear mongering going on pre-conceived notions.

You have no idea what it is about.

Just a knee jerk reaction.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Take him to a holocaust museum. And teach him all about how Hitler wanted Germany's youth to "help" him.

I'm not one to loosely throw out Hitler comparisons, but the whole thing with the celeberities pledging to Obama. That has changed my mind.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

See you can't name 10 successes.
Who's denying ignorance?

The jokes on you if you believe anything the administration is saying.

The Germans fell for the same trick before WW2. We can't blame you for falling for it, they are rather convincing, what with all their bought experts and such.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Like children can make political decisions. Do you have any clue how impressionable young children are?

As for teenagers, few of them will look beyond the face of a person. When I was in high school (Which was about 2 years ago, when the campaign was reaching it's peak) I had a couple hispanic,and black friends that I occasionally talked to. They all thought that Barak Obama was some guy that would get elected and make white people pay reparations, let all the mexicans come here as citizens, and they seriously believed these things. Then there were the white kids who thought that Obama should get elected because I quote a friend here "We should let a brother be president, because having a black guy run the country would be cool"

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
You accuse the guy of being a Nazi and indoctrination, yet when he goes to quell the fear for people like you, you piss on him anyways.

Who's the joke? Nowhere do I mention any of those accusations.

Nowhere? Really? Not "any" of them? I won't bother with the "Nazi" crap, but I could have sworn it was you who started this thread where, to make your point, you "do the Wikipedia thing" and simply define indoctrination as your personal contribution to the opening post; a clear accusation that the planned Sept. 8th event was, in your eyes, indoctrination.

The whole "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" thing gets really old. Personally I couldn't care less if Obama had a change of heart. In fact, I'd probably prefer if he didn't, and that this change was solely bowing to the will of the people. His job is to represent the citizens of the United States; so if enough citizens disagree with his course of action he's supposed to follow suit and change course in the interest of doing his job well.

Anyone who disagreed with the program to begin with, and now has the audacity to slur him for flip-flopping just lost all credibility as a rational level-headed individual who can think for themselves. They're simply playing games and spouting more of the useless partisan diatribe that keeps the population mindlessly divided, easily distracted, and hopelessly paralyzed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join