It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think this shows how incompetent this entire administration is. Obama has no plans, but no real objectives and no plan to meet them. He still scares the hell out of me, because Obama is controlled by the Chicago Democratic machine. His administration has no direction.

He obviously watches Fox News, since Bob Dole was interviewd on Sunday on Fox and Friends, and outlined what Obama needed to do to get Healthcare back on track. Guess what? The next day, Obama was announcing the he was going to take controll of this bill and it was going to be passed.

Obama is a joke. A very, very, dangerous joke that is putting this country, and indeed, the fate of the world, at risk.

Whatever you faith, I suggest you pray for the safety of humanity.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by mikerussellus

BUT....and I don't disagree with your post, I'm just looking at the other side. Isn't there a valid point to be made about getting children involved in the political process? Teaching them that they CAN make a difference? Truly, I'm really not sure about any of it?

I did NOT vote Obama, so please don't assume I'm a supporter.

I thought that was what parents were for. Just my humble opinion. . .

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

kind of harsh? here is the deal, why doesnt obama just stay the hell out of dictating new rules and regulations in school and start worrying about the affairs with this sad a?? economy!!

NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

And how often do you discuss politics with your 6 yr old? Do you screen all his/her reading material??

I ask you in all seriousness, no malice intended!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The Partisan stuff stinks.

Parents May Boycott Obama's Speech

The presidential address will take place on Sept. 8. The Obama administration said it is the first time a president delivered a national address directly to school children.

(there's a link to the source in thread above)

The American people ARE scared, at least SOME of them. Why now? Why choose now to do this? How were kids in the 50's? Were they good kids then? We didn't need national presidential addresses to our children while they were in school then, huh?

I think a lot of this feels like he's trying to undermine the family unit. We've been exposed to concerns about his policies, his labeling of the citizens, his speaking of involving the kids in everything from volunteering to help old ladies across the street, to becoming part of a young paramilitary force. I think parents are just reluctant to swallow everything he might be trying to feed us, or our children right now.

I'm not so sure it's 'indoctrination' but the perception is OBVIOUSLY there, as all over the country parents are complaining. He miscalculated. Again.

If he wants to address my children, he can do it with ME in front of that god awful television WITH them. We don't watch much TV, so I guess we would have to come in from playing basketball, or something and sit down for how EVER long it was going to take (too long) and listen to rhetoric together so I could give my two cents to my children.

If this is done in school, we have no input into that experience. The children are led by their teachers, and subjected to this speech in the context of peer pressure and historically proven biased instruction.

If Obama has nothing to hide, he needs to welcome the parents to the process. He needs to speak to ALL of us, at the same time. I will be damned if he is going to speak to my kids while I'm not there and I don't go down kicking and screaming. I don't give a crap WHO he thinks he is.

Politics and education are like chocolate and toothpaste. You eat the politics and you need the education to clean the taste out of your mouth. The trouble with politicizing the educational system is that every time you try to brush your teeth, it gives you more cavities. There is ENOUGH Obama butt kissing going on in schools already. That needs to be cut with a little truth and critical thinking.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
What a reversal.
It seems they make plans, the public balks at them and the administration does a 180.
What a freakin joke!

So now you're complaining because the president is listening to the people???

What a freakin' joke, indeed!

Talk about a no-win situation! Great spin, though!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by warrenb
What a reversal.
It seems they make plans, the public balks at them and the administration does a 180.
What a freakin joke!

So now you're complaining because the president is listening to the people???

What a freakin' joke, indeed!

Talk about a no-win situation! Great spin, though!

This is a joke

HE IS A VILE DICTATOR

who listens to people

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

And how often do you discuss politics with your 6 yr old? Do you screen all his/her reading material??

Further to that question...is it fair to spread such partisan bile as we see on this site to a six year old? Should that be a kid's measure of both the political system and the Presidency? Is it wrong for the President to inspire kids to be good Americans?

Jeez...save the venom for after the bedtime story if you want to do the kids a favour.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

He seems to have put himself in that no-win situation. If there was nothing wrong with his address in the first place, then there was no need for him to reverse course. He could simply have dismissed the criticism and anyone fair-minded would've agreed with him.

By reversing course, he raises suspicions about what he was planning to say even more.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

In reality, you don't. 6 year olds are interested in dirt, bugs, cartoons, and more dirt (at least it is for my kid). My kid knows america and other countries. Since I am from the UK he has a better world view than most but I try to keep it simple. Things are dark enough and I want him to just play and have fun. There is going to be plenty of time in the future to depress him, worry him. 6 year olds don't need to be subjected to this. That's why we are the grown-ups. Our job is to protect them so they can play and lead healthy normal lives.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I am responsible for teaching my children morals. I am responsible for making sure my children strive to be their best. It is my responsibility to make sure my children are learning and thriving. It is my responsibility to teach the value of volunteering and helping the community or others less fortunate. Note, volunteer, not mandate.

They can say they are changing the assignments, yeah, maybe, but in typical political fashion, how much is it going to change. Obama's change? No thanks. And that doesn't change what could possibly be said.

I sure as heck don't need the president to help.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

AMEN.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Mikerussell

That's more like it! Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think Pigpen made some very good points too.

My son is in private school. I'm looking forward to see how they respond to my inquiries to their plans.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just heard back from my son's teacher. She knew nothing about it but is making inquiries at scholl and promises to get back to me.

Have any of you contacted the schools besides me and one other poster? It seems like this news is pretty new to the schools too.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Mikerussell

That's more like it! Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think Pigpen made some very good points too.

My son is in private school. I'm looking forward to see how they respond to my inquiries to their plans.

Your welcome.

On the 8th, I want to take my son to the aquarium here. It'll be fun, educational, and he'll get to touch stuff.

This Obama stuff is just wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Mikerussell

Your welcome.

On the 8th, I want to take my son to the aquarium here. It'll be fun, educational, and he'll get to touch stuff.

This Obama stuff is just wrong.

Good on you Mike, you have the right and it should be a fun time for both of you.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

I spoke with the school this morning. The principal was away, but the secretary said she hadn't heard whether they would be airing it for the whole school, that it was really up to the teachers whether they would show it. She did say it wasnt going to be mandatory though.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by notsosweet

Thanks for sharing. I sent an email to our head of school about 10 min ago. I'll post results.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing their views on this.

Honestly, I'm surprised that more people haven't chimed in. This is an historic event no matter which way one leans politically.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
He could simply have dismissed the criticism and anyone fair-minded would've agreed with him.

Yes, but all the hysterical people in this country would have kept their kids out of school, made a big deal about the president speaking to the kids of the nation, and called it indoctrination... Yeah, the crazy people of the nation were freaking out. You can see it here on ATS and all over the Internet.

People are whacked with suspicion.

By reversing course, he raises suspicions about what he was planning to say even more.

Of COURSE it raises some people's suspicions. Those people are suspicious of EVERYTHING he does. Because of who he is. There's proof right here.

The president of a country says he's going to speak to the kids of the nation about getting good grades and these suspicious, fearful people start shouting "indoctrination"!!!

Bush, Clinton, Reagan have ALL spoken to the children of the nation, but when Obama does it, it's indoctrination!

I'm very frustrated with the ignorance of some people. And from what some are posting here about the reality of the situation, this huge hysteria is much ado about NOTHING! Some of you sound like old women at a gossip party, I swear. If you could hear yourselves you'd be embarrassed. Or you should be, anyway.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm sure many parents' reactions are related to the age of their children and how susceptible they believe their children are to group pressure and group think.

Personally, I will be speaking to my children about the event before it happens, and then AFTER. I want them to understand why I feel the way I do.

Believe me, school had my children idolizing Obama and his administration and automatically accepting the never-ending categorization of all dissent or criticism as 'racist.'

After this summer those days are over.

I can't keep my children from experiencing this kind of exposure to the federal government, but I can teach them how to analyze and reflect on the matter and draw some kind of conclusion for themselves.

As far as the Obama administration 'backtracking' I am unsure how to feel about it. One the one hand I resist the notion of the federal government opening a direct line into my child's learning environment - I am unsure I can trust the content to be free of ideology. On the other, it seems that governing by polls is a sure sign of faltering leadership. After all, this is not a democracy, despite what the Madison Avenue-trained career politicians repeatedly claim.

Some day, my son or daughter will come to me and ask me why I didn't agree with their favorite "Obama" as a choice for president. When I can see that their desire is to reason and understand, I will tell them of my personal ideology, and how it differs from the career politician's Hollywood-style rhetoric and game-theory tactics. Until then, I will only let them know that in this world, politics is an advertising war for the mind of the voter, and truth or morals have little to do with the motivations of the celebrities they are being sold on the TV and Radio.

Most parents think insulating their kids will be of some value. I hope they are right. I will be trying a different approach. I want my children to know that what they are seeing has a purpose which extends beyond what most Americans believe is the scope of the federal governments authority.

It's not political - it's social-engineering..., which makes it ten times more dangerous to our society... while it can be altruistic and benevolent in intent, it is the perceiver who determines the impact. As such, this is a no-win for any government; and is very similar to the actions of states such as the former Soviet Union, the Democratic Republic of North Korea, Nazi Germany, or the government of the Khmer Rouge.

Children are not property of the state and should never be subject to indoctrination, outside that which society directly authorizes.

But that's just my opinion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join