It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America Sept 8 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Interesting that our previous president actually interacted with school children, going to their classroom and reading them stories as well as treating them respectfully as individuals, talking to them, etc... and was MOCKED for it (how effing many "My Pet Goat" jokes were thrown at the man by his detractors?) yet those same douchebags that ripped Bush for that seem to be fully supportive of this self agrandizing, impersonal, group-speak media/indoctrination exercise Obama is preparing for. What an eye opening stark contrast between the two halves of America and our differences... personal, real interaction on a small scale is mocked while impersonal, deindividualized crap like this is favored.

This

Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

is an abomination and an affront to America's ideals, yet it fits in perfectly with the principles of the Corporation and deindividualization. Essentially it is 1984 come to life and we're watching the groundstones being laid for Big Brother to train our own children to be the Junior Spies for the thought police, reporting to someone in authority anytime they see an adult not doing as the president asked (ordered).

So far the only thing Orwell has gotten wrong was the date, by almost a quarter century...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by havok

...That sort of partisan hatred of everything the President does -- if he even breathes he's got an ulterior motive -- goes back to the Clinton administration.

In and of itself, you're probably right. BUT, when the President has surrounded himself with Communists, and has jack-boot union thugs doing his dirty work, and is shaming the memories of thousands of American servicemen and women who fought and died defending the World against Communism, then, yeah, I think he MAY have ulterior motives.

And when I see the MSM saying nothing about this, and having a love fest everytime the Obamessiah's name is mentioned, then YEAH, I think there may be ulterior motives all around.

One of the other posters said "Obama hasn't given me any reason not to trust him." REALLY? Sure about that?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by Sestias

Good point about Bush and 9/11

MAYBE

just maybe something similar will happen?

Obama talking with students then suddenly the SS comes running in...Sir they've nuked the capital!

or some such...

This got me thinking WarrenB. I hope this isn't out of line and I mean you no disrespect or anything...just trying to expand on an idea.

I took a look at the timewave zero stuff for the two dates and saw what could be considered a slight correlation. Not in the overall wave, or the resonance between the two times, but in the novelty immediately following.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffd33cbbfe83.png[/atsimg]

Three different 'versions' of the timewave show a pretty huge shift in the day AFTER the address to the children.

Although one (the original, Kelly interpretation) Shows just a bit of a downward swing, Sep 08, 2009, bears a fairly remarkable correlation to that fateful day, as a DAY AFTER both dates, there is a fairly pronounced indicator of novelty, that spans approximately a day and represents a pretty large shift.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6ba704e5656.png[/atsimg]

I know this may not mean anything. I just think that most everything happens for a reason.

Just something to think about with a grain of salt.

I think my children mught be 'sick' that day as well.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
Indoctrination
Lets do the Wikipedia thing: "Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology.It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Maybe I'm missing it, but can you show me where the students are NOT to question or criticize this?

Source

The President will deliver a speech about the importance of persisting and succeeding in school on Sept. 8, the first day of school for many children across America. The Department of Education is encouraging educators, students and parents to use this opportunity to help students get focused and begin the school year strong.
"On Sept. 8, when young people across the country will have just started or are about to go back to school, I'm going to be making a big speech to young people all across the country about the importance of education, the importance of staying in school, how we want to improve our education system, and why it's so important for the country. And so I hope everybody tunes in."

This is about doing well in school... I really don't see what everyone is so freaked about... This isn't even about getting involved in the community, as I originally thought.

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
I guess i honestly cant see how you can put these two men on different ends of the isle and say "well bush was a slime ball but tbecause its obama its ok"

That's not what I'm saying. It isn't about one side of an aisle or another. I don't know yet if Obama is OK or not. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, just as I did Bush in his first year. I know Bush now. By the fruits of his labor. I don't know Obama yet.

Ill ask you this, what has he done to make you trust him?

It's easier if you read it for yourself instead of me typing it all in here:

Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

He has done a lot of what he said he was going to do in his first 8 months and is working on a lot more. He's still got over 3 years to earn my continued support.

I really want you to do me a favor and look at things from a wide perspective, really dig in and do some research on whats going on and try not to be so biased about it just because its Obama.

You're assuming that I haven't done research. You're assuming that because I support Obama that I don't know anything about him. In fact, you're very mistaken. I have done tons of research and I DO know what he's doing. And I still support him, because I support a lot of his choices and a lot of what he's doing. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean that I'm an idiot.

I promise you if you are true to yourself and true to your beliefs you will be disturbed by the things you see.....

Oh, I am disturbed! There's plenty of things Obama does and that are happening in our government that I don't approve of or agree with and find very disturbing. And I have talked about them on ATS. But this isn't one of them.

You talk of bias. Bias is prejudice. Everyone who hates the idea of this speech JUST BECAUSE it's from Obama is exercising a bias. Everyone who pre-judges this speech as some Hitler Youth crap, when it's really about the kids doing well in school, is being prejudiced.

Projection much?

I take each move he makes and I judge it based on whether or not I think it's a good thing or not. Hating the idea of the President of the US speaking to the children of our nation about succeeding in school, simply because of who the president is is totally and completely biased.

Maybe you need to take a good look yourself.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Interesting that our previous president actually interacted with school children, going to their classroom and reading them stories as well as treating them respectfully as individuals, talking to them, etc... and was MOCKED for it

He wasn't mocked for interacting with the children. Never. He was mocked for sitting there for 17 minutes with that book in his hands after being told that our country had been attacked.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Sheesh. My daughter told me last night her class from last year got a letter from the great O (apparently the teacher had them write a letter) so she showed it to her last years students. If only I'd known.

Wonder if my daughter would like to play a game of hooky that day.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Very Well Said!

I've been looking at what I can find on this, and I have found nothing, anywhere that even suggests that there is to be no questioning of this.

I don't see this as anything to get particularly excited about. Certainly no "indoctrination" going on here...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Pre K -6 WTF. This is the first introductory phase of Obama's community soldier campaign. So the GIVE Act begins. Slowly but surely he is moving forward with his fantasy. This will not fly folks.

This is just the beginning. I am sure he has more messages to follow throughout the school year. Just wait and see how this first seemingly innocent message evolves into something much greater as the year progresses.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Interesting that our previous president actually interacted with school children, going to their classroom and reading them stories as well as treating them respectfully as individuals, talking to them, etc... and was MOCKED for it

He wasn't mocked for interacting with the children. Never. He was mocked for sitting there for 17 minutes with that book in his hands after being told that our country had been attacked.

Yes, yes he was mocked for interacting with the children. I'm at work right now and cannot access Youtube, but I'm sure (unless network lawyers have ordered them removed) that one could find clips from Leno, Letterman, SnL, and numerous stand up comedians refering not to him sitting there for 17 minutes, but making fun of the fact that he was reading a book called "My Pet Goat" to the kids. I remember the jokes, they started about 30 days after 9/11 when it was percieved as safe to start ripping him for it... in fact, Bill Maher was the first one to do it, I remember it, I saw it.

As far as the 17 minute thing went, I'm guessing you do not have children. Was there a damn thing he could have done in those 17 minutes? While the secret service was preparing to transport him back to Airforce 1, he opted to not cause panic in a room full of little children... what a ####ing bastard!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

BINGO! Children are very receptive and very reactive. If one of my daughters skins a knee or an elbow my first instinct is to remain calm and in control. My behavior keeps them calm. My wife overreacts and the girls will freak out.

Bush, without a doubt, reacted properly while all those under him were scrambling to get things in order for his next step.

I'm sure Obama would have pulled a George Constanza and pushed all of the kids aside in order to get out of the room first.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is indoctrination.

It says:

The main ideas from the speech are:

Citizenship, personal responsibility and civic duty.

I guarantee all of these things will tied to Obama's ideology and community organizing.

Obama said during the campaign, he wants a civilian force stronger than the military. Why?

We have the military, F.B.I., Homeland Security, C.I.A., N.S.A., National Guard and Obama wants a civilian force just as well funded as our military?

He said:

"We cannot continue to relay only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We have got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful just as strong just as well funded."

WHAT????

This is about indoctrination. He wants to mold kids as to how they should be citizens and their civic duty. This is for the individual to decide not the President.

If a person see's his Civic Duty in starting a business that makes millions and pays a lot of money in taxes, then that's his right. Obama wants to tell these kids that their civic duty and their citizenship means they have to give back to the community instead of pursuing personal interest.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Indoctrination
Lets do the Wikipedia thing: "Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology. It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

Could you elaborate on how exactly this is indoctrination? The questions posed are critical thinking questions and don't say anything about punishing students for writing critically about Obama or his policies, and all of the questions posed are completely open-ended. By your own definition indoctrination discourages questioning and critical thinking, and this seems to be the exact opposite. It's all about having students reflect on a personal level and think critically about the effect they can have on their future, their community's future, their state's future, and their nation's future.

Also, for those who didn't actually look at the entire document posted, you can see in the rest of the outline that this speech is actually about students achieving their goals and dreams, and how those personal goals and dreams can come together to create a positive change to a community, state, and nation.

Do you guys remember the recycling and Earth Day campaigns that happened in the 80s and 90s? It was nearly the exact same setup. You learned about government regulations and mandates in regards to recycling and different aspects of environmentalism, e.g. if everyone in your class plants a tree and recycles, you save X amount of litter from polluting and you plant X amount of trees, bla bla etc.

I just don't see it as indoctrination. I see it as education.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If people are going to bash Bush for staying in the classroom while a crisis was happening, then why the love for Obama addressing school children while the country burns, literally in some parts? I think Obama has some bigger issues to deal with then talking to kids about service and such. Doesn't seem like he's interested in saving this country, rather he seems to be more interested in transforming it into something new and vastly different than what the founders intended.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Actually, we don't need the president to tell our children that schools is important for them that is our jobs as parents.

Now, what I will like our president to do for our children is to stop the wasteful spending he have engaged in and start investing on our children future that will be the future of this nation that will be better appreciated by children all over the US.

Because let face it, with all the cuts and bail outs and "stimulus" our present administration like those before him has forgotten that a nation's children are the most important investment a government can do.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually, we don't need the president to tell our children that schools is important for them that is our jobs as parents.

I agree it's the parents' job, but they aren't doing it! Our nation is dumber than ever! How long do we let this spiral down?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Achieving goals and dreams you say? Obama couldn't achieve anything without his backers who ponied a lot of cash to get Barry into office. Now, he is just a puppet for his financial backers. Great lesson to teach First Graders.

Critical thinking for elementary school kids? Give me a break. When can we just let kids be kids for a change? My kids will learn about civic duty from me and my wife when the time is right. Kids don't need to worry about this crap at such a young age.

Obama wants the younger generation to pick up the slack from the adult slackers.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Our nation being dumber than ever has less to do with the parents and more to do with the very place they'll be while being forced to watch Obama.

The school system is responsible for that not the parents.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Strictsum]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strictsum
The school system is responsible for that not the parents.

Well, you can tell yourself that, but when I was a kid, my mom made sure I did all my school work and knew what I was supposed to be learning. And if my kid were in the public school system today, you can be sure I'd be taking the responsibility to make sure she got a good education, and that means me being involved. I wouldn't be putting my child's education in the hands of the US school system.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

True, which is what my wife and I do also. However, most parents do what they are told, just like they were taught to do in school. They send their children to school everyday. Where they believe they are being taught to the best of the Governments ability, this is simply not the case. The Government could be doing much much better than they currently do.

I didn't mean to suggest the parents have no responsibility in this. Just that the Government carries much of the blame IMO.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Strictsum]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Our Dear Leader will give them a super secret email address in which they can report their parent's disloyal thoughts and statements.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join