It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America Sept 8 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009
PreK-6 Menu of Classroom Activities: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education
September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:
• Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama and motivate students by asking the following questions:
Who is the President of the United States?
What do you think it takes to be President?
To whom do you think the President is going to be speaking?
Why do you think he wants to speak to you?
What do you think he will say to you?
• Teachers can ask students to imagine being the President delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States. What would you tell students? What can students do to help in our schools? Teachers can chart ideas about what they would say.
• Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?
During the Speech:
• As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:
What is the President trying to tell me?
What is the President asking me to do?
What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?
• Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?
www.docstoc.com...

Indoctrination
Lets do the Wikipedia thing: "Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology. It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned". OK...When are we going to stop this?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yep. Indoctrination. I hope a lot of students in a lot of classes confront their teacher and do not fall for this BS.

IMO, he's gonna call for students to participe into the national service day planned for september 11.

IMO most teachers will make this part of the curriculum... to have credits... even more indoctrination.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Man! Where do you come up with this great stuff?

I don't remember any president in my time, doing anything remotely like this. Of course I only remember 4 past Presidents. Back to Reaganomics.

Well there was that Just say no campaign. Nancy? I think.

Lets indoctrinate the students! Don't let them think on there own.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I actually think it's great that the President is reaching out to kids and asking them to get involved. I think it's about time kids start learning about their government and getting involved in their own futures instead of having their heads totally focused on the latest video game.

Maybe they'll spend some time volunteering at the local retirement home for a couple hours a week instead of playing video games. I support this 100%.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Propaganda and Children during the Hitler Years

Hiemer concludes with an exhortation to the youth of the world to become actively involved in the war against the Jews. Young Germans are cast as the hope of Germany and the saviors of a world under siege by a Jewish plague. The cumulative effect of so many comparisons with the world of nature, one might think, would be to make the elimination of Jews a natural and expected occurrence. Their extermination is presented as being part of the natural order of things, and the child is invited to rescue the desired natural order from the disaster planned by the Jews. The opportunity is strongly presented for the child to go from being a passive recipient of information on the destruction caused by the Jews to an active participant in the war against the Jews.

www.nizkor.org...

Here is my modern version
Hiemer concludes with an exhortation to the youth of the world to become actively involved in the war against the Terrorism. Young Americans are cast as the hope of America and the saviors of a world under siege by a Terrorist plague. The cumulative effect of so many comparisons with the world of nature, one might think, would be to make the elimination of terrorists a natural and expected occurrence. Their extermination is presented as being part of the natural order of things, and the child is invited to rescue the desired natural order from the disaster planned by the terrorists. The opportunity is strongly presented for the child to go from being a passive recipient of information on the destruction caused by the terrorists to an active participant in the war against the terrorism.

Fits nicely wouldn't you say?

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sure, of course you do!
And you would have thrown your immediate support behind this if President Bush had done it too, right??? And when Barry is sent packing in 2012 and the Republicans take over again, you're gonna be a supporter of the program then too, right???

Somehow I seriously doubt that you would support this initiaitive if the President were anything but a liberal Democrat.
Sorry BH, I can see right through this!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Again, like everything, there's going to be sides.

I am for the children getting off the couch and working. FOR THEIR PARENTS! Not the gov't. Thats what we pay the gov't for.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking through a different window. But, for some reason, I just see an agenda behind all this. Call it a hunch.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
And you would have thrown your immediate support behind this if President Bush had done it too, right???

I admit, I would have been highly skeptical. I don't trust Bush as far as I can throw him. He has given me reason after reason to know him as a liar and a crook. But it's NOT because of the letter behind his name.

And when Barry is sent packing in 2012 and the Republicans take over again, you're gonna be a supporter of the program then too, right???

It depends on who the person is. If he deserves my trust, I will support him. If he's a lying, slimy warmonger, REGARDLESS of the letter behind his name, I will not trust his intentions.

As of this time, I trust Obama's intentions.

Somehow I seriously doubt that you would support this initiaitive if the President were anything but a liberal Democrat.

I have voted for Republicans. I supported Ron Paul. You don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Once again - perfectly predictable. Is the idea that you are on to stop all legitimate questioning of the MOTIVES of would-be dictators?
Can you ever stop getting Chris Matthews' "thrill up the leg?" when it comes to Nobama?

I'll bet you do not believe in evil. Because you sure cannot see the evil in brainwashing. Woops, I just wasted my time - writing to one who has already been brainwashed.

(You'll probably make some ad hominem attack about not having a brain HA-HA)

[edit on 1-9-2009 by skycopilot]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by skycopilot
Is the idea that you are on to stop all legitimate questioning of the MOTIVES of would-be dictators?

And how exactly is voicing my opinion on the thread subject stopping anyone from questioning anything? I don't have that power. But if it helps any, you have my permission to question his motives all you want.

I responded to the OP with my opinion about it. I said NOTHING about what anyone else had said. Seems some of you just can't handle someone with a different opinion than yours.

I'll bet you do not believe in evil.

You can make the thread about me all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I only voiced my opinions about the information in the OP. I had no idea my thoughts would be so threatening to you.

You'll probably make some ad hominem attack

Look around. The only attacks have been against me.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
let's stop the internal bickering.
we all have our opinions as we are justly entitled to them.

Let's focus on the topic please and thanks

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Of course this is a troubling thing for the President to be doing. It is much more in the ballpark for a First Lady, who is supposed to be at least on the surface non-partisan.

If the message to children is so important, why not have the address given at prime time, where parents could either opt out or watch the address with their children and then reinforce the messages of stay in school, work hard, etc?

If he sticks to generic pap, I have no problem with it, other than it is a waste of his time, given that by his own admission, he has not yet read the assessment on the Afgan war yet. If he gets in to political stuff, like national service, health or the environment, this will back-fire on him in a huge way.

Anyway, perhaps he is simply looking to generate some level of support in the country, since adults seem to be falling off his happy, change train at about 2% a week. When you're looking at 30% approval ratings by Thanksgiving, you'll do what you can! Maybe the next step will be a constitutional amendment to drop the voting age to 10.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

I have a different memory from you. When I was growing up every president addressed the students of America at least once. I especially remember Kennedy and his physical fitness program in the schools.

Remember Bush was reading to an elementary school class when he got the news about 9/11.

When I was growing up nobody had a hissy because the president happened to be a Democrat or a Republican.

That sort of partisan hatred of everything the President does -- if he even breathes he's got an ulterior motive -- goes back to the Clinton administration.

I don't think the students will die from listening to Barack Obama for a few minutes.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Good point about Bush and 9/11

MAYBE

just maybe something similar will happen?

Obama talking with students then suddenly the SS comes running in...Sir they've nuked the capital!

or some such...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by havok
Remember Bush was reading to an elementary school class when he got the news about 9/11.

Yeah, but he was reading out of a book (upside-down for conspiracists) to a group of students in a classroom. From what I got, this guy is addressing every student k-6.

I don't think this guy's intentions are the same.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
After reading the plan for that day, I'm sure my son will be a little under the weather.

Something about this doesn't feel right.

Edit to add: He'll be there, I'm just not sure how much I like it. Something like this should be done in a home setting, Not the school IMO.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Strictsum]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
While I don't see anything wrong with the president addressing children, it should be within the family group and not while the children (my child) is away from the family and in a control environment.

For some reason this whole pony show of having A president any president addressing the children in the nation through the school system look highly deceptive.

Still looks to me like the president is after a certain sector in the population and to avoid an (out of topic debate) I will not mention which.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

First off, im all about getting involved in the community and doing community service.....I did when i was young and still do.

HOWEVER, there is a huge difference, between doing it on your own will and being FORCED to, i.e see his plans for mandatory community service.

I remember other times in history when this was implemented.....Flame away at me if you will, but facts are facts and once you know the truth it cannot be denied.

To Heretic

I guess i honestly cant see how you can put these two men on different ends of the isle and say "well bush was a slime ball but tbecause its obama its ok"

"obama hasnt given me any reason not to trust him"

Are you serious man? Look I like you and i value your opinion greatly, I love reading your posts because they are thought provoking.

But seriously, everything this guy said he was going to do on his campaign he either has waffled around or flat out lied about.

Ill ask you this, what has he done to make you trust him? He has thrown us further into huge debt then we could have even fathomed a year ago. He passed these huge stimulus packages that the majority, thats right, polls were taken , the MAJORITY of people didnt want.

That right there is enough to make me say wow "this guy isnt listening to the people apparently, why would i trust this guy"

Hes changed his stance on taxes and just WHO is gonna get taxed. Which isnt going to matter anyway because with all the debt were acquiring and the inflation to come EVERYONES taxes are going to take a huge jump.

He promised a bottom line on unemployment and now its head and shoulders higher then he said it would be, and is forecast to get worse.

You can watch clip after clip of him saying one thing, then going back and trying to same another just for damage control.

I dont like bush, but this guy is just as damn dangerous bud.

I really want you to do me a favor and look at things from a wide perspective, really dig in and do some research on whats going on and try not to be so biased about it just because its Obama.

I promise you if you are true to yourself and true to your beliefs you will be disturbed by the things you see.....

Do it for some ol ATS friends would ya? At least, give it a shot?

I just hate to see good people fooled by this magic show.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
"Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important? "

It should read, "Why is it important that we question the President and other elected officials..."

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IKnowNothing

You are right on the money my man.

When you tell a child to "listen" it means "obey".

They don't take it to mean listen and form an opinion.

This is word play at it's finest IMO

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Strictsum]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join