It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America Sept 8 2009

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Are then any teachers here that can get a recording of this event??

Or someone strap a recording device to their kid so we know what was said?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The public school system is terrible because of big government and social engineering.

This is what happened in Grand Rapids:

GRAND RAPIDS -- No Grand Rapids high school students will find failing grades on their report cards when they arrive this week.

Instead, students who performed poorly will see an "H" for "held" and an opportunity to make up the work and earn a passing grade by the end of the next trimester.

Teachers union leaders argue the change is another late-marking period scramble to boost sagging scores and undermines their ability to get students to show up and work hard all trimester.

www.mlive.com...

A lot of business and inventions occured because of failure.

Obama wants to indoctrinate these kids into what he see's as their civic duty and personal responsibilty to the state.

One of the activities that teachers can do after his speech is have the students write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President???????

WHAT!!!! I have to say that again:

One of the activities that teachers can do after his speech is have the students write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President???????

This is pure indoctrination.

It then says:

The letters will be redistributed by the teacher to make the kids accountable to their goals. How in the world is a teacher going to make a student accountable to a goal to help the President?

This is pure indoctrination.

Obama wanted a civilian force that's just as strong and well funded as the military.

WHAT?????

Does Obama know how much money goes to fund the military? Now he wants Brownshirts on the street?

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Achieving goals and dreams you say? Obama couldn't achieve anything without his backers who ponied a lot of cash to get Barry into office. Now, he is just a puppet for his financial backers. Great lesson to teach First Graders.

Critical thinking for elementary school kids? Give me a break. When can we just let kids be kids for a change? My kids will learn about civic duty from me and my wife when the time is right. Kids don't need to worry about this crap at such a young age.

Obama wants the younger generation to pick up the slack from the adult slackers.

I feel sorry for you if you never had to think critically in elementary school. Teachers incorporate critical thinking as a necessary way to get children how to understand the process of learning and not just regurgitating facts (which is more along the lines of indoctrination).

I don't know about you but I won't have my children being spoon-fed curriculum without learning how to reflect and question that curriculum, which is exactly what this is attempting to do.

I'm not sure when you were in school or if you remember elementary school, but I was in it in the 80s during the Reagan era and public school still had an emphasis on civic duty from the community level to the national level.

If you look back in history at what was taught since schools became public (and I'm sure even before they were public), there's always been some nationalistic bent to curriculum.

We're a patriotic people and we enjoy teaching our children that we are "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." If you believe teaching children to ask themselves what their goals are, how their goals can affect the world around them, and how the government affects their lives is indoctrination, then I guess that's your opinion...I respectfully beg to differ.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sure, of course you do!
And you would have thrown your immediate support behind this if President Bush had done it too, right??? And when Barry is sent packing in 2012 and the Republicans take over again, you're gonna be a supporter of the program then too, right???

Somehow I seriously doubt that you would support this initiaitive if the President were anything but a liberal Democrat.
Sorry BH, I can see right through this!

I'm an independent but proudly cast my vote for Obama and support him as our President. I would have supported GW doing this as well but the fact is he didn't. The only interaction with school children I remeber him having was when he read My Pet Goat.

Guess your just still pissed off your side lost. Good luck with that 2012 scenario pal.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Get over it. The guy is YOUR president. Time to accept that little fact.

There is nothing wrong with the president making a speech to the students of America. But of course, the haters on here are horrified of a black man as their leader, so I guess there's no convincing them.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

There is nothing wrong with the president making a speech to the students of America. But of course, the haters on here are horrified of a black man as their leader, so I guess there's no convincing them.

Seriously. Why do you always have to bring race up as an issue? It sounds to me that, it may be the only thing you have to hold onto as a reason to support him. Quit playing the race card. It's time to move forward beyond that.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing

Seriously. Why do you always have to bring race up as an issue? I sounds to me that, it may be the only thing you have to hold onto as a reason to support him. Quit playing the race card. It's time to move forward beyond that.

Let's not try to go off topic here. The subject is: People getting cranky about Obama speaking to students across America.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Actually... every time an Obama thread comes up you post that exact post nearly word for word.

Stop trying to turn the non-existent race/hate issue into a strawman.

Just looking back on your posting history over the past while... I found these examples within minutes:

The Obama haters are having a field day with this one.

The majority of Obama haters are angry white people. It's not bias, it's a fact.

Birthers are the most pathetic sore losers I've ever seen in my entire life.

GET OVER IT, Obama's your president.

It doesn't matter if it's fake or not. Obama haters are willing to do anything and believe anything in order to bring down the president. Really pathetic in my opinion.

I don't know what Obama's mother was doing when she was pregnant with her son...but I do know what a birther's mom was doing: Drinking.

In my opinion, Republicans need to grow up and accept the fact Obama is their president now.

Oh no, Obama's going to partay. Get over it.

How do any of these do anything but stir up a flame war and derail topics?

Reported.

Perhaps you might want to have a read of this thread:

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate

[edit on 1-9-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
So what does that post have to do with the evil Obama talking to students? All I see if a very off topic post targeted towards me.

If you want to discuss why Obama haters are indeed racist, you can freely PM me and we'd discuss this in a mature manner instead of going off topic in a thread about why people are so angry about THEIR president talking to students across the country.....and at the same time, they're not too sure why they're angry. I guess it's because they need to hate everything THEIR PRESIDENT does.

Thanks for your concern though.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I go to a public high school in Chicago. We start school on that day, and you can bet I will be back with a story to tell. I will cooperate unless I can see through the image he's displaying.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think this is a little too much. If I was a parent of a child in those grades, I would encourage them to take the day off. Where does he get off on talking to our youngest of youngest? What is this brainwashing?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pathos
I think this is a little too much. If I was a parent of a child in those grades, I would encourage them to take the day off. Where does he get off on talking to our youngest of youngest? What is this brainwashing?

You're right. This is insane. Who the hell does the President of the United States think he is? He can't talk to the kids who live in his country, that's outrageous!

Seriously? Was your post for real?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

How about...

"Why is the President lying to me?"

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

So what does that post have to do with the evil Obama talking to students? All I see if a very off topic post targeted towards me.

If you want to discuss why Obama haters are indeed racist, you can freely PM me and we'd discuss this in a mature manner instead of going off topic in a thread about why people are so angry about THEIR president talking to students across the country.....and at the same time, they're not too sure why they're angry. I guess it's because they need to hate everything THEIR PRESIDENT does.

Thanks for your concern though.

Relax Larry, just because other people do not worship the ground Obama walks on does not make them racist. Is it not possible that a person can disagree with Obama's politics without being racist?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

Actually... every time an Obama thread comes up you post that exact post nearly word for word.

Stop trying to turn the non-existent race/hate issue into a strawman.

Just looking back on your posting history over the past while... I found these examples within minutes:

The Obama haters are having a field day with this one.

The majority of Obama haters are angry white people. It's not bias, it's a fact.

Birthers are the most pathetic sore losers I've ever seen in my entire life.

GET OVER IT, Obama's your president.

It doesn't matter if it's fake or not. Obama haters are willing to do anything and believe anything in order to bring down the president. Really pathetic in my opinion.

I don't know what Obama's mother was doing when she was pregnant with her son...but I do know what a birther's mom was doing: Drinking.

In my opinion, Republicans need to grow up and accept the fact Obama is their president now.

Oh no, Obama's going to partay. Get over it.

How do any of these do anything but stir up a flame war and derail topics?

Reported.

Perhaps you might want to have a read of this thread:

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate

[edit on 1-9-2009 by fooffstarr]

Wow, that's amazing. Good work!

This person is clearly race baiting - too bad you can't get booted for that here.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GigaloCool

No, it's completely possible. My point is: MOST non supporters of OUR president are racist. Sure, there are plenty of individuals out there who dislike him just because of his policies..and there are others who are just despising the man for whatever he does...even if it's good

But back on the race issue - I recommend this documentary, but I forget the name of it. We pretty much follow the filmmaker explore the dark side of America: Right Wingers and their hatred for Obama....sadly, they weren't too sure why exactly they disliked the man so much. Was it because he is black? Yes actually. There were plenty of citizens who used the N word quite fondly. Was it because they were brainwashed by Fox Entertainment...I mean..Fox News? Yes. And others....they will never know why exactly why they hate Obama so much. They rather just have someone else...sadly, that someone else would've meant Palin would've been VP. Do we really want to imagine the United States with a bimbo such as her as Vice President? And at the same time, have a dinosaur as President? Quite scary IMO.

Things could be worse...far worse...

Obama isn't a bad guy. Instead, he's a puppet who's strings are being pulled the wrong way.

Not all Obama haters are racist but a good majority of them are. Sorry to burst your bubble but racism Does exist in the United States, I don't know what dream world most of you are living in.

I like him as a person, not as a president.

Oh...and honestly, it's f'n STUPID to get mad over the fact OUR president is going to make a speech to kids.
Sorry, it is.

Also, get booted for what? For having an opinion? You really want ATS to be censored? Trust me, it's censored enough. Most mods on here have nothing else to do besides get cranky when someone disagrees with their views.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Pathos

This is plain and simple BRAIN WASHING!!!!

keep your kids home that day

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

No, it's completely possible. My point is: MOST non supporters of OUR president are racist. Sure, there are plenty of individuals out there who dislike him just because of his policies..and there are others who are just despising the man for whatever he does...even if it's good

But back on the race issue - I recommend this documentary, but I forget the name of it. We pretty much follow the filmmaker explore the dark side of America: Right Wingers and their hatred for Obama....sadly, they weren't too sure why exactly they disliked the man so much. Was it because he is black? Yes actually. There were plenty of citizens who used the N word quite fondly. Was it because they were brainwashed by Fox Entertainment...I mean..Fox News? Yes. And others....they will never know why exactly why they hate Obama so much. They rather just have someone else...sadly, that someone else would've meant Palin would've been VP. Do we really want to imagine the United States with a bimbo such as her as Vice President? And at the same time, have a dinosaur as President? Quite scary IMO.

Things could be worse...far worse...

Obama isn't a bad guy. Instead, he's a puppet who's strings are being pulled the wrong way.

Not all Obama haters are racist but a good majority of them are. Sorry to burst your bubble but racism Does exist in the United States, I don't know what dream world most of you are living in.

I like him as a person, not as a president.

Oh...and honestly, it's f'n STUPID to get mad over the fact OUR president is going to make a speech to kids.
Sorry, it is.

Also, get booted for what? For having an opinion? You really want ATS to be censored? Trust me, it's censored enough. Most mods on here have nothing else to do besides get cranky when someone disagrees with their views.

What you say is silly. It is like someone calling you a sexist just because you do not like Sarah Palin - could your oppinion not be deeper than that?

I know plenty of black people who do not like Obama, are they racist too?

What you are saying is just not well thought out.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wycky
Are then any teachers here that can get a recording of this event??

Source

The speech will be broadcast live on www.whitehouse.gov at 1 p.m. EDT.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Did I say all non Obama supporters are racist?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join