It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Dutch 'moon rock' revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Fake Dutch 'moon rock' revealed

news.bbc.co.uk

A treasured piece at the Dutch national museum - a supposed moon rock from the first manned lunar landing - is nothing more than petrified wood, curators say.

It was given to former Prime Minister Willem Drees during a goodwill tour by the three Apollo-11 astronauts shortly after their moon mission in 1969.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is a conspiracy theorists dream!

How did the astronauts come into possession of this fake moon rock?

Did they know?

What does this say about the lunar landings?

Are any of the other lunar rocks given after the landings fakes as well?

US officials said they had no explanation for the Dutch discovery.

I hope to hear more about this in the next few days.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
anyone who believes that the discovery that the item that is currrently [ 2009 ] sitting in a dutch museum show case is a fake has any bearing on the veracity of the apollo program [ 1969-1972 ] is an idiot

further the rock has NOT been ` vetted by a phone call to NASA ` - all that phone call demostrates is that a piece of moon rock was presented to prime minister Drees - it does not log its movements and possible subsitution in the intervening 40 years

i cannot find any online images of sufficient quality taken at the time Drees was presented it to make a analysis

but - such images will exist - and comparing the two should be the first line of inquiry

lastly - as stated - over 100 other moon rocks were gited to statesmen and institutions following the appolo program - if i had recieved on - and heard the dutch report - my first task would be to check my rock too - strange how no other nation reports a fake

just my opinion - but i believe that a thief targeted priminister Drees , or his estate , or the museum and made a subsitution

as stated - its value was aggreed at half a million pounds - thats a big incentive for theft - even if you can only sell it for 10% value

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
anyone who believes that the discovery that the item that is currently [ 2009 ] sitting in a dutch museum show case is a fake has any bearing on the veracity of the Apollo program [ 1969-1972 ] is an idiot ....

While I agree with your rationale, their is no need to call someone an idiot. Just because you are solidly planted in your understanding of a subject doesn't entitle you or empower you to demean people who disagree.

There are many possible reasons for this discrepancy. The original could have been stolen. The original could have been switched before it was given away even. And yes, among the reasons is the possibility that they didn't have, or didn't want, to give moon rocks away. Raising the question doesn't make anyone an idiot.

Be kinder, or this place will become battlefield for no reason other than rudeness.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
well it does leave that question open whether or not we went to the moon. I have never brought into the moon hoax in fact the reflector mirrors on the moon was one of my favouite points to the hoax believers. But now after finding this moon rock to be a fake i wonder how many other moon rocks are fakes or is it just this one. If more fakes start turning up then even I will have to reevaluate the moon landings.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

lastly - as stated - over 100 other moon rocks were gited to statesmen and institutions following the appolo program - if i had recieved on - and heard the dutch report - my first task would be to check my rock too - strange how no other nation reports a fake

That would be a bit fast won't you think? The news only came out today. So it will take a while before other coutries have time to test their moonrocks.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
moonrocks made of wood! does that mean that trees exist(ed) on the moon? /wink

I'm loving this discovery! I bet we are going to see more and more of this type of thing. now granted there is the possibility that this Dutch 'crock' was swapped in at some point over the past 40 years, but that just adds to the intrigue.

Very interesting that this comes out now... gotta be a good reason for it. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldren et all are shaking in their able-walkers.... this you can be sure of!

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Mathius]

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Mathius]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

anyone who believes that the discovery that the item that is currrently [ 2009 ] sitting in a dutch museum show case is a fake has any bearing on the veracity of the apollo program [ 1969-1972 ] is an idiot

further the rock has NOT been ` vetted by a phone call to NASA ` - all that phone call demostrates is that a piece of moon rock was presented to prime minister Drees - it does not log its movements and possible subsitution in the intervening 40 years

i cannot find any online images of sufficient quality taken at the time Drees was presented it to make a analysis

but - such images will exist - and comparing the two should be the first line of inquiry

just my opinion - but i believe that a thief targeted priminister Drees , or his estate , or the museum and made a subsitution

as stated - its value was aggreed at half a million pounds - thats a big incentive for theft - even if you can only sell it for 10% value

Yeah good points (except for the idiot part, c'mon mate you've been around since 2004, get with the program!).

It must be a case of theft. perhaps more interesting would be to trace the theft, although I imagine that task would be nearly impossible.

UNLESS, more moon rocks are determined to be fakes.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
However if this rock can be confirmed to be the very one presented to him, SHORTLY after they returned, then they must have known that this was never from the Moon. That either means that they kept the real one for a future profit, or they had no idea what a real Moon rock looks like and passed on what they had been given by NASA. Surely they would have noticed that it was nothing like the samples they bought back, they had to carefully choose exactly which samples to bring back yet failed to realise one of the hand picked samples was not a Moon rock at all. This has the potential pitfalls of all conspiricy theories, the TRUTH is the target which we should aim for, not trying to force personal opinions as the only truth, no side wins and the secret slips through the net. This perhaps is a very good story to look into, as has been said by previous posters " Don`t jump to conclusions either way " RESEARCH, then post!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is pretty crazy, imagine how disappointed the guy must be. I know i would be feeling pretty annoyed right now.

The first thought i had when reading it was, the astronauts played a practical joke. Surely moon rocks would have to be quarantined for a while and they would want as many as possible for study and research at NASA, would they just give them away!?

I can imagine the laughter between the 3 of them on the way home "Ha ha ha another one has fallen for it! How many is that now?"

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

This is a conspiracy theorists dream!

How did the astronauts come into possession of this fake moon rock?

Did they know?

What does this say about the lunar landings?

Are any of the other lunar rocks given after the landings fakes as well?

US officials said they had no explanation for the Dutch discovery.

I hope to hear more about this in the next few days.

news.bbc.co.uk

The museum acquired the rock after the death of former Prime Minister Willem Drees in 1988. Drees received it as a private gift on Oct. 9, 1969 from then-U.S. ambassador J. William Middendorf during a visit by the three Apollo 11 astronauts, part of their "Giant Leap" goodwill tour after the first moon landing.

Source.

Actually, it sounds like the astronauts had nothing to do with the 'rock'.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I bet the US govt laughed to themselves when they sent this off.

"Those dumb apes will never know hahahahah"

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Same topic thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-8-2009 by conar]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
It is strange but untill other fake moon rocks come out of hiding we have to play the waiting game.
if others are fake as well it could open a can of worms,i fully expect NASA to come out with some statement if more are found.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
No time to read the article or thread, just want to post and remind us all that this rock has been in the possesion of the museum for 40+ years, I would imagine it is worth quite a bit of money, IMO it is most likely a replacement for teh real one which was stolen for it's monetary value. Also, what testing was done on the rock when it was gifted? I would think that a real moon rock would have been uber tested for content.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

The US agency gave moon rocks to more than 100 countries following lunar missions in the 1970s.

US officials said they had no explanation for the Dutch discovery

I understand that it was a nice gesture of NASA giving moon rocks to more than 100 countries and they were honored to receive the rocks of course.

So here comes my dumb question, how many rocks did they bring to Earth? did they really had that much to spare?

Well I could understand a few rocks as gifts here and there to important allies and partners, but more than 100 real moon rocks sounds much?

How many rocks do they need themselves for scientific experiment etc, in the USA?

My two €uro cents says that they screwed the rock-receivers and gave them petrified wood instead! - or does this mean that the moon-landing was fake all along! - and that no one has real moon rocks on Earth - not even the USA!?

Nah! someone probably stole the Dutch rock in some way from the museum - but where do you sell a stolen moon rock? is there a black market for moon rocks?

The Elit collectors of rare pebbles and stones/rocks or rough scientists maybe!

The moon rock theft was an inside job perhaps?

Nahh! I give up!
can't think straight - too tired - need to sleep! goodnight!

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
If that is petrified wood from the moon then the value just went up substantially!
Maybe NASA didn't know what they had when they gave it away!

top topics

join