It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Robot hand shows off amazing dexterity, speed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Awesome!

It won't be long before they become self-aware

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Going with most of the other comments here, I'm going to agree that this is quite impressive. I was particularly amazed by the device throwing and catching the mobile phone. Looks like Technology is finally catching up to scifi!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Yeah great, really impressive. Unfortunately, these ninja robots will be rounding us up into prisons and shooting those that run away, with amazing accuracy at 5000 yds. I highly doubt this kind of technology will benfit anyone except our government who seems to be hell-bent on enslaving us. Oh, did I say that? What was I thinking? The skeptics say everything is just rosey and that everything is fine.......great, I thought the U.S. and the world's economy was falling apart and police were tazering old ladies and the government was putting prison camps all over the states to throw (somebody) by the hundreds of thousands in. According to the skeptics though, we are all going to be just fine. LOL. What was I afraid of? These robots will feed us grapes and give us massages and we will have more free time to go on vacations now as they will take our places at our jobs.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by griftin
reply to post by deadoralive

I'm sure those would go a long way in preventing a robotic takeover of the human race. They could be modified to add something like "A robot may not force a human being into slavery."

Uhh...yeah that didn't work out so splendidly for the HUMAN race to follow with such an obviously humane directive, now did it?!

I think the poster commenting about not needing us anymore and references to 'skynet' are too eerily TRUE to life for my own liking!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I didn't know those things could react that fast

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
Awesome!

It won't be long before they become self-aware

Maybe it wont if they carry on down this road
DNA Could Lead To Tiny But Powerful Computer Chips

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
Intersting but not really new. If you have ever been into a High tech Automated factory, you see robots doing this all day...

[rant]
What?
Did you even watch the video?
Have you even seen automated factory robots?

There is a big world of difference between their capabilities.
This is next generation robotics.
The main 2 points of development in the robot hand are;
1. Vastly improved tracking of moving objects at much higher speeds & predicting *near* chaotic flight paths of tracked object.
2. Innovation of fast twitch movement motors, the speeds are mind boggling.

An automated factory robot *could not* successfully track & bounce/dribble a free moving ball at the speed & accuracy of the robot hand.
An automated factory robot *could not* successfully throw a mobile phone up into the air in a spinning trajectory, track it & catch it.

The robot hand is clearly the next generation of robotics compared to the already existing slower, dumber grandad automated factory robot.
[/rant]

S&F for the OP, it's truly amazing to watch it & think about exactly what the developers have achieved here. I found it mind blowing to say the least so thanks to the OP for posting.

As with all technology advances; it's great to think of the positive uses this can be applied to & scary to think of all the negative uses it can be applied to.

When the military incorporate this technology (& they will) you can guarantee a much higher, more efficient, cost effective, accurate kill-rate of *soft* targets.

As for robotic laws to govern protection to humans; it sounds like a lovely idea but it only exists if the laws are programmed into the software & I think that would pretty much interfere somewhat with the goals of the military.

'The future is going to be a very bizarre experience built on the sci-fi movies of today' moobaawoof 23/08/2009

[edit on 23/8/2009 by moobaawoof]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Don't be silly. It'll be long looooong before AI can reason like that.

Actually the US military and academics on the subject put the year of AI with fully automated robotic androids on the battle field would be 2030 - this figure has been corrected by the MIC to 2020 at the absolute latest.

Please see Wired For War for further info on how wrong you are.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
Intersting but not really new. If you have ever been into a High tech Automated factory, you see robots doing this all day. All they have really done is make it do applications that we can relate to.
--snip--

Not quite.

The high speed vision system, high speed actuators, tactile feedback, etc...that the system in the OP demonstrates is quite far advanced over anything you'd find in assembly line automation.

Generally, factory robots know x,y,z, and where they need to be at what time. They aren't seeing and reacting at ultra high speed to events which cannot be anticipated, like the tech in the OP is demonstrating.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by tjack]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
wow that is amazing;
i cant wait till its small enough to integrate into our bodies

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
wow great! I loved it!

so when do we get our first T-101?

NICE!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Do I spot the Autoturrets from the movie Aliens in the making ?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by an1mal

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by tjack
So starred and so flagged!

This tech is amazing!

The dribbling time was literally the blink of an eye, and it got in 6 or 7 dribbles!

I predict robot ninjas in the future.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by tjack]

[edit on 22-8-2009 by tjack]

too bad all of this is coming from asian countries...we are going the way of the old empire of england...the industrialized world has been able to practically bankrupt us with our war spending around the globe...time to deposit us into the trashbin of history and move on to the more lucretive high tech regions of asia. we will be seeing a low growth, part-time minumum-wage economy for several decades going forward. time for all the american kids to take chinese language courses...they will be your masters in a few short years...and with that let's give a shoutout to all those millionaire and billionaire american industries for getting the hell out of dodge (america), to move on to the next rich profit center...what great patriots they are...hip..hip...horray!!!!.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by jimmyx]

Your comment shows insight and truth.

What we have to look at next is how we become less "useless eaters" and more inovative individuals. Technology should never surpass us. EVER. While throwing a ball and spinning a pen doesn't come close to our own abilities people can and would find this intimidating as a machine that can do the simplest things far easier and with more precission than humans.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by an1mal]

If we are as innovative and superior as we would like to believe, one day we may have the capability to create technology that surpasses us whether we chose to do so or not will be the question.

The only limiting factor to how quickly we can develop those technologies is social inertia and available energy (oil/solar, etc)

-rrr

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

wow..

very impressive...but I maintain my position...

Robots (android robots) will never be as adaptable or capable as humans

That is ok, there is no law against being wrong.

How can you know what could or could not happen in 50 years?

Human adaptability and capability has limits that can already be recognized.

While human/like performance is really far away from what computers can do, computer capacity growth rate is not slowing down anytime soon and growing at nearly exponential rate, while human capacity stopped growing any appreciable rate centuries ago. Based on extrapolation alone, computer capacity will inevitably surpass human capacity within just a few decades.

A human like robot will not be programmed line by line, that is the fallacy that leads people to assume robots of the future will not be adaptable. Computer programs are not adaptable, this much is true. If one were to write a program that does logical deductions, it would be almost inevitable to get it into an infinite loop by a paradox.

But a computer program can simulate a neural network, which embodies adaptability, by trading off quality of rational reasoning.... just like US!!

In the future, it will be possible to run a neural net software simulation with the bandwidth required to simulate a human brain, which will then be "raised" like a child needs to be raised.

The adaptability and creativity aspects of the human mind are simply the outcome of the way we are wired, and not a magical mystery untouchable thing as some wish to believe.

Now, I don't even see why computer adaptability has anything to do with robot dexterity.

I think making robots that can walk on any terrain is already DONE.

Making robots that can adaptively accomplish any well bounded task without human input (where the requirement of adaptability only includes inanimate environments or environments that are piloted by highly innertial vehicles) such as, drive cars on public roads, is just a matter of RnD and money, not a technological issue. Other activities, like psychotherapy, sales, or making decisions that require assuming the thoughts of another person, those are a few generations away.

-rrr

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I take it that I am the only one, deeply upset by the inserting of electrodes, directly into the brains of live monkeys, that the "scientist" in the video posted by wellfhard did, on the previous page?
No one else seems to have mentioned it.
(Thanks to wellfhard for posting it btw. I do think we need to see this stuff)
It is incredible technologically, but morally? ethically?
I LOVED the superfast robot arm of the OP post, really cool video, but I totally agree with the members who have pointed out the obvious, and worrying, military uses of this technology.
As sure as there's nuts in a squirrel, the military will be all over this like a bad suit!

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
soon, real soon, we'll see robotech in blue uniforms in the streets, with crime scanners and everything...

Orwell and friends, your nightmares are coming true

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadoralive
reply to post by griftin

One question. When they finally do master the whole robotic slave thing doing all the work for us.. What are we gonna do for work?? No need for us then

So your only purpose for living is to work a job? That's kind of sad don't you think?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geoff Capes

Originally posted by deadoralive
reply to post by griftin

One question. When they finally do master the whole robotic slave thing doing all the work for us.. What are we gonna do for work?? No need for us then

So your only purpose for living is to work a job? That's kind of sad don't you think?

It is aye, but how else are we supposed to earn money to live on?

[edit on 23-8-2009 by deadoralive]

[edit on 23-8-2009 by deadoralive]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Won't be long before the military gets their hands on this. Then we will see an army if robots with super fast hand movements!

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Chovy]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
WOWZA
I shat myself when it caught the cell phone.
Who says you need thumbs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join