It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Robot hand shows off amazing dexterity, speed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

So you want something to look forward to in your fast approaching old age, eh? If robots playing baseball doesn’t quite cut it, how’s about a robohand that redefines what we understand by the word “dexterity”? The Ishikawa Komuro Laboratory is at it again, this time demonstrating robotic appendages with a reaction time of a single millisecond. Using harmonic drive gears and a (really) high-speed actuator, the three-fingered hands can tie your shoelaces, tweezer your brow, and even perform some kung fu pen spinning for the ladies.

Source

[edit on 22-8-2009 by deadoralive]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow. This scares the living hell out of me.

It won't be long now.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
So starred and so flagged!

This tech is amazing!

The dribbling time was literally the blink of an eye, and it got in 6 or 7 dribbles!

I predict robot ninjas in the future.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by tjack]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Intersting but not really new. If you have ever been into a High tech Automated factory, you see robots doing this all day. All they have really done is make it do applications that we can relate to.

Maybe one day Terminator will be real! we don't seem too far off this.

I'm heading off to work on Extra strength Magnets and magnetic fields. Its the only thing that will knock these suckers over.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack

This tech is amazing!

The dribbling time was literally the blink of an eye, and it got in 6 or 7 dribbles!

too bad all of this is coming from asian countries...we are going the way of the old empire of england...the industrialized world has been able to practically bankrupt us with our war spending around the globe...time to deposit us into the trashbin of history and move on to the more lucretive high tech regions of asia. we will be seeing a low growth, part-time minumum-wage economy for several decades going forward. time for all the american kids to take chinese language courses...they will be your masters in a few short years...and with that let's give a shoutout to all those millionaire and billionaire american industries for getting the hell out of dodge (america), to move on to the next rich profit center...what great patriots they are...hip..hip...horray!!!!.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That video blew me away... skynet here we come.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Don't be silly. It'll be long looooong before AI can reason like that.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

This tech is amazing!

too bad all of this is coming from asian countries...we are going the way of the old empire of england...the industrialized world has been able to practically bankrupt us with our war spending around the globe...time to deposit us into the trashbin of history and move on to the more lucretive high tech regions of asia. we will be seeing a low growth, part-time minumum-wage economy for several decades going forward. time for all the american kids to take chinese language courses...they will be your masters in a few short years...and with that let's give a shoutout to all those millionaire and billionaire american industries for getting the hell out of dodge (america), to move on to the next rich profit center...what great patriots they are...hip..hip...horray!!!!.

Your comment shows insight and truth.

What we have to look at next is how we become less "useless eaters" and more inovative individuals. Technology should never surpass us. EVER. While throwing a ball and spinning a pen doesn't come close to our own abilities people can and would find this intimidating as a machine that can do the simplest things far easier and with more precission than humans.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by an1mal]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow!
Amazing!

Human intuition at its best.
It's robotics we truly excel as a species.
Having been searching through the ufo encounters database in the hope for hints and tips of new technology and new ideas, anything witnesses presented as a description of a mechanical entity (minus the link in my signature) or any AI controlled device that falls in to the robotics category, everything looks quite retarded compared to these man made contraptions we see in this and in similar videos.
Clearly those "advanced" visitors leave much to be desired and a lot of things don't add up but one thing is certain. We are the dominant intelligence on our planet.

Sorry for the out of topic. But some things make you go hmm..

The science of Robotics will give us the eyes and the hands we need for space exploration and amazing new ways of constructing, handling, modifying, utilizing new technology as soon as robotic controlled parts will be interfaced directly to the human brain. It is just a tool like everything else. We can choose to use it wisely. At least the potential is there.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

It looks to me like some people here still havn't seen Terminator!!!

They won't be saying 'wow' or clapping there hands when some big Terminator machine comes after them

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by an1mal

The country the poster is referring to wouldn't come up with this kind of tech because their have a different philosophy and a way of looking in to things. It is Japanese. There is a world of difference for anyone who cares to look at the details.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

This tech is amazing!

I had to quote both of you because this reply was mostly directed at you both... Robot ninjas can be beat by robocop, we all know this... and he's American made! No need to fear with the blue crusader here...

On a serious note to the OP, that was just amazing. As someone mentioned earlier I've seen the pictures of car factories with robots performing tasks but they're mostly repetitive tasks and they don't involve catching something that was just thrown into the air, by itself. It's great to see robotic technology still increasing, even if it doesn't belong to America.

I would be a bit mad if a robot ninja showed up on my door twirling a pen then throwing baseballs at me though

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by an1mal
Technology should never surpass us. EVER.

Uhh why? It is inevitable that it will anyways.

I don't buy in to the whole "Terminator scenario."

And another benefit to tech (A.I. especially) that surpasses us is that they will be able to do a hell of a lot of work for us, allowing us to live how we should be, not completely tied down to jobs and free to do what we want whenever we want.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by griftin]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by griftin

One question. When they finally do master the whole robotic slave thing doing all the work for us.. What are we gonna do for work?? No need for us then

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
the dribbling and the catching the cell phone blow me away...

I want that on me...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm sure those would go a long way in preventing a robotic takeover of the human race. They could be modified to add something like "A robot may not force a human being into slavery."

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Great post! S&F op!

What I'd like to see is how I can go about equipping that hand to myself. I'm all for becoming a cyborg!
Just imagine what we'll have in 30-40 years.. Mind blowing to think about, eh?

-Will

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by griftin

Wow, they're not even here yet and they already have legislation against them

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
i would like to hear more about the robot ninjas of the future

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I'm thinking Star Wars replacement hands here.

"That new guy is gonna put us out of a job! "

" They too 'er jobs !!"

[edit on 22-8-2009 by aleon1018]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join