It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic Video Games

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Awareness that there is something happening of which we don't appreciate?
Awareness of sufferance and misery?

Most people try hard not to be aware of these things. If a violent outbreak happened it would be pretty difficult not to be aware of it.

And the awareness of it is the first step for the dissipation of it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It's not for everyone and it explicitly states it's not for children.

Like thats gonna keep children away from it.

Dont be naive guys.

So blame the video game industry for YOUR FAILURE AT PARENTING. It is YOUR JOB to control what YOUR CHILDREN watch on tv, play on the computer, and all other avenues of information.

If you don't approve then YOU need to be the one to keep YOUR children away from it.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Also, why have civil rights or gay rights activists not taken measures against it yet?

Probably because they don't know about it. I know the kid you asked said the game was popular and twisted, but I would call it more of an "underground" game.

It's not that widely known and seems to have more of a cult following.

[edit on 20/8/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

I´ll reply to the other part of your post: No, I am not saying these games are "created by the Illuminati".

What I am saying is that they are disgusting and the majority of people being "OK" with them, is very telling.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I played both these games, and think they are (IMHO) stupid.. I am a big fan of the FPS genre, (Doom, Quake, Unreal, Call of Duty, etc.. etc..) But, the Postal franchise just isn't my type of game.

That is my opinion. I guess other people have their own opinions, but I highly doubt that someone will play Postal/Postal 2, then decide to go outside and kill people, and urinate on their corpses.

Do I believe in major censorship? Nope. Once they start banning games, and making ridiculous rules for video games (eg. You can't express your freedom of speech/expression in the game.), we just lost more freedom.

I can see forbidding children from purchasing the game. Perhaps parents should do more parenting?

So, too each his/her own.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

First of all, Im not a parent. Secondly, Im not blaming anyone. Im questioning whether this is healthful stuff and whether a game of soccer might not be preferrable to pissing on cops and beheading bystanders

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Geladinhu

My actual opinion is that, to a certain extent, acting out violence in imagination is a good thing, allows you to vent. So Im not denying that. But in excess I think it has the opposite effect - desentizing one to violence.

Okay, and why desentizing one to violence is something bad? I'd love to not be affected by violence, that way I could truly devout myself to the most important causes without fearing pain and violation of my own body.

I understand your point, but my point is to show that the coin has two sides.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

What I am saying is that they are disgusting and the majority of people being "OK" with them, is very telling.

I'm more than ok with it, I find the game amazing. The freedom to do what you want.

What most people have a problem with is the slow erosion of our civil liberties under the guise of protecting the children.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
~Benjamin Franklin

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

Because its an effin video game

Oh I see. So taking pleasure in acting like you take crack coc aine, kill people and "hunt faggots" is not at all questionable. I rest my case.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You say video games are "mind controlling" our kids..yet who are you to say what we can/cant watch, play, see, do with our lives?
you cant have it both ways. Live your life and let others get on with theirs.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Im questioning whether this is healthful stuff and whether a game of soccer might not be preferrable to pissing on cops and beheading bystanders

And I've already answered that very question a page back which you obviously didn't bother to read.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Writing May 14 in the International Journal of Liability and Scientific Enquiry, Patrick Kierkegaard of the University of Essex, England, suggests that there is scant scientific evidence that video games are anything but harmless and that they do not lead to real world aggression. Moreover, his research shows that previous work is biased towards the opposite conclusion.

However, Kierkegaard explains, there is no obvious link between real-world violence statistics and the advent of video games. If anything, the effect seems to be the exact opposite and one might argue that video game usage has reduced real violence. Despite several high profile incidents in US academic institutions, "Violent crime, particularly among the young, has decreased dramatically since the early 1990s," says Kierkegaard, "while video games have steadily increased in popularity and use. For example, in 2005, there were 1,360,088 violent crimes reported in the USA compared with 1,423,677 the year before. "With millions of sales of violent games, the world should be seeing an epidemic of violence," he says, "Instead, violence has declined."

Oh I see. So taking pleasure in acting like you take crack coc aine, kill people and "hunt faggots" is not at all questionable.

I guess you played the game quite differently than I did, at no time did I "take crack coc aine" or "hunt faggots."

But hey, if that is the way you want to enjoy the game, to each his own.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Well...How can I get rid of what I don't have?
I don't have anger, I feel anger.

Eh?

For instance, I have a lot of repressed anger.
So much anger that I feel like killing.

(emphasis added)

Instead of quibbling about essentially equivocal terms, what should we say? I feel alot of repressed anger in need of expression?

Truly repressed anger can pervade conscious experience and how one relates to every facet of life.

Its a sensation that can go away with another sensation.

Dealing with the heavy stuff needs turning inward and not painting it over with distractions.

I'm not spuming while playing the game, I'm having a good time, enjoying the opportunity of doing what I can't usually do.

I understand that. Grand Theft Auto was like that for me except it was so absurd I just laughed. I hardly played the game for any real goal. I just went around doing things like squishing cops and pedestrians with the cement truck.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You as a parent need to be the protectors of your children, you shouldn't pawn that responsibility off on government because you think something is not fit to exist. You should teach the values you hold so closely to your children, rather than trying to bring down an industry that has done nothing but severely reduced the ACTUAL violence in our society by replacing it with pixels on a computer screen.

All I'm seeing is the complete opposite as society is becoming more violent, not less and it has everything to do with media influence, violent movies, computer games and music. The desensitization to violence is the main problem with our society.

Desensitization Due to Media
childrensmedia2day.wordpress.com...

Psychologists Produce First Study On Violence Desensitization From Video Games
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
you can do the same in Grand Theft Auto, not the peeing tho.
oh yeah where else can u negotiate with a hooker while holding a bazooka

link   

I would have been willing to make concessions that I might be overly sensitive.

But the way this stuff is not even questioned in the slightest and brushed off with some "scientific study" (you can get scientific "studies" on anything and any side, you know?) is just weird.

link   
I find very ironic that the OP has also created this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

New thread, new topic.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
yet who are you to say what we can/cant watch, play, see, do with our lives?

Where am I commanding people what they can and cannot watch? I couldnt do that even if I wanted to. Its none of my business what people watch.

But is it allowed to QUESTION various aspects of society?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Ok then, what is it programming them to do?

Look up "desensitation".

Well I can only speak from my own experience, as a semi hardcore gamer since the first nintendo. As games have become more graphic and realistic it has made them more enjoyable to play. However, as I stated, the older I have gotten the less interest I have in gore, it no longer appeals to me.

That is the exact opposite of desensitization (or at least contrary to the desired effect). I'm not even sure there is any direct evidence to support the claim that graphic video games desensitize. This is the same old argument about causality, be it a Tom and Jerry cartoon or Postal 2. They are scapegoats for perceived social ills whose root cause is far from video games or tv shows.

And you know what, if there was not an interest in such things, there would be no market for them. Bashing people for having an interest in unreal violence or the content which portrays that violence is one step away from accusing them of some sort of thought crime and you are effectively advocating censorship.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

New thread, new topic.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

Same topic as far as I could tell.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join