Demonic Video Games

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
When I was in high school a class mate told me about a game he had started playing, Postal (the first one). He seemed to find it amusing but to me it sounded sick and disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, I love Grand Theft Auto (GTA) but I think Postal (1&2) over steps the mark, especially with the animal abuse. You can kill cops in GTA, but you get penalised. Most people know how to separate reality from virtual reality. I don't find that killing in a game relieves stress... I just play them for satisfaction of completing them and doing all the side missions etc.

There are lots of very disturbed people out there that would enjoy Postal. I don't think anyone who starts playing it would change to be a horrible person, you have to be demented in the first place to want to play it.

There are websites out there dedicated to hosting videos of brutal killings, gore, executions and the like. And these sites have a dedicated member base, who seem to get satisfaction by watching the Taliban decapitate someone, or by describing the brain matter that is all over the pavement as a result of a Vietnamese scooter fatality.

Fact is, there are some sick units in this world. I don't think violent games make people violent. If people become violent because of stress trying to complete a mission in a game, they already have some type of psychiatric problem, is my guess.

[edit on 20/8/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I'm not really a video-game player.
But I did play Counter Strike a lot with my friends a few years ago.
Its a pretty violent game and I felt quite relaxed while and after playing it.
So relaxed that I wanted to keep playing.

But now I rather play a board game then a videogame.
I don't know, videogames simply do not entertain me as much as they did.

I still have the anger and the anger keeps building up.
I'm sure I could get rid of it if I played videogames all day.
I wouldn't have time to pay attention to the things that make me angry.
I could say that its just like a drug or medicine (an inefficient one like all the other occidental medicines). Have a headache? Take a pill. Still have a headache? Take another pill...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
Postal 2 is truly a sick game. It has no specific goal whatsoever, as it's just pure violence.

ACTUALLY

You're given a common everyday task like "Go to the store and get some milk" and the game allows for an open decision whether to exercise the limits of the game's violence, or to simply go to the store and purchase the milk.

The game simply allows for the opportunity; not everyone who has a gun is a murderer.

[edit on 8/20/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

You don't amerliorate what you want to get rid of by doing more of it. You get out of something what you put into it. If I have alot of "repressed" anger, I'll do something towards the opposite side of being angry.

If you play it for more cathartic value than just to have a laugh at the absurd portrayal of hooliganism, perhaps some meditation is in order.

Why must we have so many avenues of sublimation of impulses instead of trasmutation of them? My guess is that it's easier to feed the river more water in its well-cut path than to change its course. This society is a system of ritual abuse and dissociative disorder.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Ok then, what is it programming them to do?

Look up "desensitation".

And do you have any solid examples of other video games that are more than just video games?

I got the postal-hint from a kid when I asked him what a popular sick-and-twisted game is. Im not familiar with the scene.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Postal/2 looks one of those games where you buy it because of the "talk" factor, but looking at that video I could tell i'd just put it down after 5 minutes because the gameplay is just too repetitive.
If you want a game thats like Postal but offers better gameplay i'd suggest Soldier of Fortune 2 (PC/XBOX.)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Came back to star and flag this Motha, I am SHOCKED that I was the first one! Wow. That makes me sick! Lets just watch the mentality of Pro Demonic games mentality... Erggg

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
"Demonic" is a colloquiallism referring to "even lower than bad".

Such as urinating on police offers who then vomit and then chopping them up.

Colloquialism, eh? Tell me, are you religious?

I know quite a few people who work in the computer game industry, are you suggesting they are agents of the illuminati/PTB who are waging a secret war to turn us all into violent psychopaths and/or desensitise us for their evil plan that's in store?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
Tell me, are you religious?

Im not religious. Do I have to be religious to think this stuff is questionable?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I've played the game in its entirety. I'm not a serial killer, or demonic.

Also, to the person that says there is no goal of the game, there are very clear goals, how you go about accomplishing them is your own decision.

It's meant to be satirical.

It's not for everyone and it explicitly states it's not for children.

You as a parent need to be the protectors of your children, you shouldn't pawn that responsibility off on government because you think something is not fit to exist. You should teach the values you hold so closely to your children, rather than trying to bring down an industry that has done nothing but severely reduced the ACTUAL violence in our society by replacing it with pixels on a computer screen.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by djzombie]

[edit on 20-8-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Came back to star and flag this Motha, I am SHOCKED that I was the first one! Wow. That makes me sick! Lets just watch the mentality of Pro Demonic games mentality... Erggg

I guess there are not too many who find this in any way questionable. I made the thread to check out peoples opinions on it, and Im pretty surprised that its "OK" with most.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
Violence brings awareness, as uncomfortable as that may sound.
Violence brings progress - isn't evolution basically the survival of the fit and the elimination of the weak and unfitted?

What kind of awareness would that be? That slaughtering people equals "surival of the fittest"?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Also, why have civil rights or gay rights activists not taken measures against it yet?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Well...How can I get rid of what I don't have?
I don't have anger, I feel anger. Its a sensation that can go away with another sensation. I'm not spuming while playing the game, I'm having a good time, enjoying the opportunity of doing what I can't usually do.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Sega is a company, not a game, not sure what you meant here.

I know that. And your point is?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

My actual opinion is that, to a certain extent, acting out violence in imagination is a good thing, allows you to vent. So Im not denying that. But in excess I think it has the opposite effect - desentizing one to violence.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Why have civil rights or gay rights activists not taken measures against it.

Because its an effin video game, there's nothing to take measures against.

Just because you find something so appalling doesn't mean the rest of feel the same.

Why haven't civil rights activists taken measures against you? You would be violating my rights by not allowing me access to the aforementioned.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Writing May 14 in the International Journal of Liability and Scientific Enquiry, Patrick Kierkegaard of the University of Essex, England, suggests that there is scant scientific evidence that video games are anything but harmless and that they do not lead to real world aggression. Moreover, his research shows that previous work is biased towards the opposite conclusion.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
It's not for everyone and it explicitly states it's not for children.

Like thats gonna keep children away from it.

Dont be naive guys.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Im not religious. Do I have to be religious to think this stuff is questionable?

Not at all, did I even imply that? No. Your use of the word 'demonic' as a colloquialism would indicate a belief in such things (higher powers) or close ties to religious people - nobody I know would use that term in every day use unless they themselves had these beliefs.

Besides all that, you didn't reply to the other important part of my post, very telling.

Originally posted by antar

Go back to fairy land where everything is made of sugar and fluff with rainbows in the sky, nobody is forcing these games upon you or your children. Just because you find something distasteful it doesn't mean it should be banned, nobody is being harmed. If you think people are, the onus is on you to prove it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Sega is a company, not a game, not sure what you meant here.

I know that. And your point is?

That the sentence didn't make much sense; you were going on about nostalgia and named two very old games and named a company that is still around and has produced numerous games that you would both consider "cute" and likely consider "demonic".

I was looking for some elaboration on your list of Angelic games and companies.

[edit on 8/20/2009 by eNumbra]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join