It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest

www.breitbart.com

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't see a problem here. Any American Citizen living as a resident of Arizona has the right to do exactly as this man did. At least they didn't arrest him, even if Obama is in town. You cannot take away one's rights. I am glad to see that the Arizona police respect one's constitutional right to bear arms, unfortunately not enough Citizens choose to use that right. People need to stand up for their rights, and for their voices to be heard, and this is Democracy in Action.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ppskylight

It's funny i was watching CNN and they did a clip on this.

They also stressed very casually that he WASN"T doing anything wrong, and that nobody was arrested.

They didn't call him a fool or a gun toting extremist either. They were quite nice about the whole thing, and even aired the little interview where he said people should open carry more often.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
We have regular "open carry" dinners here in Phoenix, where everyone external carries their chosen weapon.

We don't do this to provoke a response, we do it to remind everyone that in this state it is a legal activity.

Arizona and Texas are the last hold-outs of true gun ownership rights, all we ask is that you leave us alone while you wreck the rest of the country.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'd assume the police/secret service in attendance had handguns and/or rifles too. Why make a big deal out of a citizen doing it?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
I'd assume the police/secret service in attendance had handguns and/or rifles too. Why make a big deal out of a citizen doing it?

Because the police aren't likely to try and kill the President, where an unknown citizen might.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Because the police aren't likely to try and kill the President, where an unknown citizen might.

Try telling that to Kennedy.

Second Line: I actually think that they weren't planted in the audience but were inspired by a recent event and decided to do the same. The Police, Secret Service both did a fine job by not making a scene out of it...although you are right that in the previous 4 decades, they would have arrested them both.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow and I thought the guy with the sign and drop leg rig had brass ones this dude should count himself lucky that some over-zealous Secret Service agent didn't put a bullet in his head just because. I do wonder if the next appearance would involve a belt fed machine gun on the back of a truck or a shoulder fired rocket, because it sure seems like people are trying to one-up each other in showing how big their cojones are. All joking aside its good to see people making no bones about exercising their rights.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

It would be a very bad thing if Obama's SS started shooting American Citizens exercising their Constitutional Rights to bear arms.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by ppskylight]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Good. I hope these recent exhibitions are a sign of things to come. Virtually all of the current violence and "tough guy" ghetto trash attitudes towards firearms is a result of the consistent denomisation of them pushing them into the shadows and away from normalcy. If it isn't normal it's abnormal and frightening to the masses.

The normalcy of firearms in daily life will do wonders to correct the idiotic and ignorant perspective so many have.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Heres the video of the guy carrying the assault rifle. Another poster posted this video on another thread.

We should thank God he's an African American. Can you imagine a white man in a tie carrying an AR15, it would have sparked a civil war. Even this guy was wearing a basketball jersey, a bandanna, and has tattoos all over him with a band aid on his cheek, he is considered harmless.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Notice the language they use. They claim these guys had "Assault Rifles". How do they know it was an assault rifle? CNN and other left wing media regularly interchange the term Assault Rifle and Assault Weapon. There is a big difference, but both invoke the image of a fully automatic machine gun. An Assault Weapon can be just about any semi automatic gun. Assault Rifles are fully automatic rifles. Just because these guys had rifles, doesn't mean they were fully automatic.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Notice the language they use. They claim these guys had "Assault Rifles". How do they know it was an assault rifle? CNN and other left wing media regularly interchange the term Assault Rifle and Assault Weapon. There is a big difference, but both invoke the image of a fully automatic machine gun. An Assault Weapon can be just about any semi automatic gun. Assault Rifles are fully automatic rifles. Just because these guys had rifles, doesn't mean they were fully automatic.

This was my thought exactly. Too many people have no idea the difference between a machine gun, and a semi automatic rifle that cosmetically looks like a machine gun.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What are the Arizona gun laws in dealing with assault rifles? Having a hard time finding exactly on the topic.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!!!

The way people seem to be reacting to open carry these days is ridiculous, making a spectacle of it. Back when i used to go out in public i'd always open carry here in AZ. The only time i ever got even so much as a comment about it was when i had my '45 peacemaker in my hand because i had no pockets, belt, or holster on me, and i needed to bring it across town. I rode through town and got to where i was going okay, but upon coming back through town i got casually asked "who needed shootin"? by the other people who carry.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hmmm. Funny this wasn't posted in the OP.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

So, why was this thread started? Because the police did do their job correctly?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Contradiction in the clip "He's carrying an assault rifle" "That's an AR-15 on his back".

Unless it's converted, that is not an assault rifle, that's just a semi-auto look alike.

Either way, it's not something I'd personally do.. but I live in a more liberal area.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Because a Citizen stood up for his rights. Because the police in Arizona respected his Constitutional rights to bear arms. I wanted to show that you too can stand up and be counted, without fear of reprisal. These men attended the rally unmolested. I would encourage more of you to attend rallies as well. Stand up for your rights.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Those people are weird, aren't they? They always make the weirdest comparison. And if they think the right to bear arms is about taking an assault weapon everywhere especially to a high profile political gathering, there's definitely a lot of screws loose up in their heads.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Probly wasting my time here; however I'm thinking that, "some" if not the majority of these cases are a direct result of the govt. hiring people to do things like that because later it will be a good excuse to disarm people.

Sort of the way 911 was used to take away many of out freedoms. Our govt. does something then says, "look what the bad guys did!". So while these things might look harmless, I believe people might choose wisely and be prepared for when they decide the time is right to make the well motivated people look bad..

I believe in bearing arms appropriately; though I am becoming suspicious as to the core of these peoples reasoning for their actions here. I'm thinking there could be a very disturbing agenda behind some of these incidents. I guess that comes from close contact with govt.

Thank you.

No consequencE.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join