It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimmers are told to wear burkinis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Ah. So you are willing to have your views on what is right and wrong be trampled on? Rare person are you.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Doesn’t matter what I think is right or wrong what is right for me may not be right for you I am willing to accept this fact and move on. What I am concerned about is why do you all have to bend so much to these people first Shea courts now this? Segregation breads hate and non tolerance.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I have never seen Catholics or Buddhists asking for seperate swimming times, so why should muslims get the special treatment?

Why is it such a horrible thing for a pool to accommodate a group of people for 1.5 hours Saturdays and Sundays (3 hours TOTAL) each week to respect their respect for modesty?

Honestly, I find some of the swimwear the general public wears to be quite offensive myself. G-strings & tassels or speedos do not cover enough considering some of the bodies I've seen wearing them. Kudos to them for being comfortable enough with their bodies to wear them, but I don't care to see a 5' 5" man weighing 300 lbs in thong you're not even certain he is wearing. And if they are skinny dipping in a public pool . . . I don't want to be there.

So, my opinion is, covering more is better.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

But i won't get offended just for getting offended sake.

I just think that in the UK, we should not be going back to dark ages of seperatism and cultural barriers. This isn't racism, it's concern.

Simply put: How would you feel if someone told you to change your clothes because it offends a guest in your home?

If your guest started re-painting your kitchen because he/she didn't like the shade that YOU chose?

That guests then asks for you to leave your own home at certain times of the day due to personal ritual....

Can you see what i'm saying here?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nivcharah

Honestly, I find some of the swimwear the general public wears to be quite offensive myself. G-strings & tassels or speedos do not cover enough considering some of the bodies I've seen wearing them. Kudos to them for being comfortable enough with their bodies to wear them, but I don't care to see a 5' 5" man weighing 300 lbs in thong you're not even certain he is wearing. And if they are skinny dipping in a public pool . . . I don't want to be there.

So because YOU have a problem with the human form, you wish people to sway to your view of discrimination against over-weight people?

This is exactly what i'm getting at. What ever happened to neutrality?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Kara is a b**ch ain't it? Britain will know what it feels like to be overtaken just like the Native Americans felt.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonte
NO one should get any special treatment based on religion NO ONE!

It is only fare, and just that everyone gets treated the same as a human being and if you can't deal with that than so be it go home.

Well, with that way of thinking . . . the Amish citizens in the US should be required to pay IRS taxes since everyone else does.

Or maybe . . . the US citizens should not be required to pay taxes because the Amish do not.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

Hmm i don't remember ever offending ANY native Americans, neither have any members of my family or any of my friends and neighbours.
What on earth are you talking about?

That is NOT how karma works.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So because YOU have a problem with the human form, you wish people to sway to your view of discrimination against over-weight people?

This is exactly what i'm getting at. What ever happened to neutrality?

I don't have a problem with human form. However, I can understand wanting to accommodate a group's special needs. If Muslims went swimming in a public pool with non-muslim locals, it leaves them open for taunting and ridicule.

My personal feeling is this: Those Muslims who only want to be around like-minded people should open their own private pool. Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

reply to post by cloakndagger

Hmm i don't remember ever offending ANY native Americans, neither have any members of my family or any of my friends and neighbours.
What on earth are you talking about?

That is NOT how karma works.

Karma does not have a time frame. Karma seems to have all the time in the world.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

But it is wrong to force something on someone. Let them have their time. It harms no one. Better than not having any public pools at all.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ah, so you have more right to be in country and live how you do than they do? Although they may be born there as well?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think the brilliant Pat Condell somes up my views perfectly!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

Actually, it sounds more like "self-segregation". How did the whole matter of special sesssions develop, I wonder. Would the non-muslim swimmers turn the muslims away if they showed up during the regular swimming sessions?

My thoughts are if they chose to, they could go swimming during the regular sessions and wear whatever they wish, just like everyone else does.

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
It's only during the MUSLIM sessions that Muslim attire must be worn and respected.

Yeah that's all fine and well but what if the only time I can get to my daily rehab session just happens to coincide with the 'special' muslim time? Am I forced out of my pool unless I comply to someone elses stict religious doctrine - or must I search for other swimming pools far off in another town... travel more than 10 minutes being a non option with my injuries.

This stinks! I think they should just make their own swimming pools and leave our culture the f*** alone! Don't come here if our ways displease you! Simple!

Terranaut

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Terranaut

And what makes you better than they?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Ok, was it wrong to force desegregation in America in the 50's? Was it wrong to force people to treat one another as human beings instead of there skin color? I mean lets tear down the walls and build something that is more than we are let’s merely stop toleration and evolve.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Regardless of what the rest of the article claims, I remember this thing back in America the saying went something like "separate but equal".

I don't see why they get their own special designated times to swim with "like minded people". Why don't they just go to Saudi Arabia or somewhere where it is law for everybody.

I'm not buying it. They should have to deal with a western society just like everybody else, their religion doesn't make them any more special than they next person.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I agree they should build and maintain their own pools if they choose segregation

However, I've noticed government here in Australia grants Muslims money to build their own churches and schools.

Government doesn't have any money -- apart from money which rightly belongs to the tax-payers and ex-tax-payers.

Therefore, if Muslims choose segregation, whether it be schools or swimming pools, they should save and pay for them themselves, imo.

(my previous post simply sought for the news report to be cited in context)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I guess this just goes to show that if you act crazy enough, bitch and complain to get your way non-stop, and threaten to spontaneously blow up if you dont get your way that any minority group can have whatever they want in a "democratic" society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join