It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Map is wrong too.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think this could be attributed to the fact that antarctica wasn't "officially" and "completely" discovered till later on, particularly in 1773 when Cook allegedly sailed within 75 miles of the mass.

I know that there has been discussion of previous civilizations havin accurate maps of the actual land mass beneath the ice, which weren't confirmed till modern technology of the 20th century was available. But in this topic, that is irrelevant.

At the time the map in question was created, it was known that there was another land mass to the south, but it's exact size and proportion were unknown.

I have no idea about the author of the video, and can't speculate on the validity of some of his claims. But I think you're attacking a moot point here. Even if one were to believe that Antarctica had been specifically withheld, it doesn't negate the fact that the rest of the land masses have been disproportionately depicted.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Good one, makes me wonder why the new Earth picture that was in a thread here a couple of days ago is a perfect sphere..

Is it possibly because the water "fills in the voids" and gives the appearance that all the low spots are actually at sea level.

Just my 2-cents

You say so, look up left corner, looks like the ocean floor sticks up, so if the water makes the earth round,the water should be above the land, if you know what i mean. As if you take the highest point of the geoid and fill it with water from there, as you see eastern Africa seems to be under the water...In a way ..

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by ChemBreather

SO WHAT?

Lloyd Pye is a scam artist, based on this ridiculous presentation.

He conveniently excluded Antarctica, from the bottom of his Mercatur Projection video. A more thorough investigation into the ACTUAL history of maps would be useful.

I didn't know that Mr. Pye was so ignorant. Well, based on some of the other claims he's made, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

If THAT was the only map he ever saw, and wished to claim it had some sort of underhanded purpose, then I say the man is either very poorly educated, or delusional. (I stick with "delusional").

Because, there are MANY, MANY other ways that maps are projected to represent, in two dimensions, the curved Earth surface.

A little bit of research and learning will show Mr. Pye to be a BS artist extraordinaire.

How you know he is a scam artist ? Ohh, yea, the StarChild skull, hmm..
He is bold, of course he is delusional..

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I learned about the different map projections and their inaccuracies in 3rd grade. The Mercator projection is used in class because it shows the most accurate projection of LOCATION, and in history / social studies class, you want to know where France and Germany and China and Peru are, not how large they look.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I rember last year, it took me 6 hours to get from here to Vancouver, just a SMALL corner of BC on the map.......like a pin prick away, and then it only took 8 hours to get through 3 states down to California....I was shocked indeed.....I thought it would take 3 days!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The world map is wrong, not in size/proportion or spin but in the way it is viewed.
The cold war centred Europe between America and Russia. A true view of the world should be seen as North America and The Former Soviet Union being seen as neighbours.
The New War, terrorism, is using the pollitical map, ingrained in every western students mind against them. The majority of conflicts border China, re: Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, India, etc:
Europe is a small target but gets dragged into conflicts because of the wrongly informed geography.
On resourse, all attempts at giving graphical evidence have proved fruitless, with servers inexplicably going down and Internet Explorer / Mozilla Firefox crashing....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by ChemBreather

SO WHAT?

Lloyd Pye is a scam artist, based on this ridiculous presentation.

He conveniently excluded Antarctica, from the bottom of his Mercatur Projection video. A more thorough investigation into the ACTUAL history of maps would be useful.

I didn't know that Mr. Pye was so ignorant. Well, based on some of the other claims he's made, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

If THAT was the only map he ever saw, and wished to claim it had some sort of underhanded purpose, then I say the man is either very poorly educated, or delusional. (I stick with "delusional").

Because, there are MANY, MANY other ways that maps are projected to represent, in two dimensions, the curved Earth surface.

A little bit of research and learning will show Mr. Pye to be a BS artist extraordinaire.
Ok. So, if he purposely left it out, why if you look up "world map" on google images, the majority don't have Antarctica in it?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This the most stupidest thing i've seen you all discuss. Maybe you should have said that the land mass is not a sphere. Earth is, except for a few massive mountains sticking out of it, round. Shaped like a sphere. Not a perfect sphere, but spherical. Too not include the water in the shape of the world is ridiculous as well as it makes up alot of the planet.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
How many people think the earth is a perfect sphere?
Guess what? It's not.

The GEOID

The geoid, is often described as the true physical figure of the Earth, in contrast to the idealized geometrical figure of a reference ellipsoid.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/832e4f812d1e.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fecd39c2686b.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abb0dc5376d8.jpg[/atsimg]

This geoid is what is highly exaggerated...the Earth is as smoothly round as a precision ball bearing....

Relief The Earth's surface has many different elevations. The changing elevations of the land (mountains, canyons, etc.) are called relief. Even though these features may seem quite impressive to us, they are insignificant when compared with the size of the Earth. Even the tallest mountain, Mount Everest, has a height that is only about .07% the diameter of the Earth! The bottom line is that the Earth is really very smooth.

regentsprep.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join