It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

If there is more to do that God has not done or if we can think of things that God would be incapable of doing then we need to accept the fact that God would indeed NOT be Omnipotent and God needs to be Reclassified as a Demi-God.

Edited because I was being rude.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by TurkeyBurgers]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the edit.

Like I said, virtue, is power restrained, and as far as love goes, there is no greater love than that of a man who lays down his life for his friends.

Some people I think just lack a sufficient degree of imagination and open mindedness to "grok" it, and that's ok.

To be a free gift, it surely must be free

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

In all honesty, I loved the stories, and could hold a pretty good arguement for the side of religion.

My mother always wanted me to become a pastor, which I was eh on, but found the idea of discussing a book for fairly good money, to be a great idea!

Then superstitions, and me having to seclude myself from a myriad of things, to strengthen my faith became almost unbearable.

Everything in the bible, I had to twist around and interpret, and bend slightly so it didn't break. I kept making personal excuses for everything.

Then the rest of my story, is the exact same/parellel with dawkins story.

When I was a kid, 12, i had a friend, jon, devout catholic, would go on and on about how we should pray to mary and not jesus. Lot of bs, I tried to convert him to mine.

Then I had an idea, his parents were devouter catholics, and I asked him to be honest with me, I said if your parents were muslims, would you still be a devout catholic, he thought for a few minutes and replied, no, i'd be a devout muslim, but my parents are catholic, which god purposely put them there for me, so I could see the truth.

Then the seed started to form in my mind.

Did you know Buddah...is Juddah?

I don't need tell you that religion does not matter to truth. Wither they practice it or do not only that we perform in truth.

The heart weights the truth before you, you make a choice, then the heart records that choice. As you practice those choices your heart is conditioned in the same manner. It is a muscle and a head of four rivers which flow in Eden, that is "time of pleasure" eden.

Excuse me my friend, as I just re-read your op. Not this post, but the op. I'm not sure if you edited or if I just didn't catch it.

Re reading it I saw it, that is, the truth which always knows it's own.

Do you realize that with your simple words "mate" you "nailed" the gospel?

Funny why none ask why it is Jesus sent them in two's. Funny no one asks why the anointing oil is called Shemen oil or what the "Glory" of the lord is. No one ever asks, "Why 10 virgins with lamps" or what actual baptism is.

They never ask why Jesus says to nicodemus..."If I tell you of EARTHLY THINGS and you do not believe"....after just telling him that one must be born of "water"....that stuff that "breaks" and blood what earthly thing he is speaking of.

Do you know you stepped closer to Jesus, then you ever did as a youth leader, not that he is far off from even those who don't know him, but that the mind at work in you is His?

God, if you believe him to be true, leaves only true things for you to see him...

What is the first "must do" or commandment in the bible, given before, and I mean long before, "You shall love the lord your god"....

Actually in all reality it is the same Law, but most will not see it....don't think about it. You already know it.....

Republican....You have truly performed a miracle in my life today. Matter of fact I have one ear to ear right now.

Isn't the truth rad. It isn't an arrogant knowledge, because all have it. It isn't a warring knowledge, because none can defeat it. NO ONE can deny it...every mouth confesses.....indeed every knee bows.

Do you know you are Elect to see past his image? Do you know you were chosen since the beginning of the world?...I do.

I give you witness that what you know is true, it being the way and the life....

So, what was the first order, command...what was the first truth?....ALL hang on this one...and it is similar in word, but exact in meaning to "love the lord your god with all your heart"....Yet it is not this one.....this one was first before God every put a finger to stone.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Um no you didn't, you twist meanings just like you did then *not to mention saying I "enlightened" you then went on repeating the same junk and I won't even touch how your over eagerness defeats your purpose*. Just because a being CAN do everything does not mean it has done everything. And to continue on that little point of contention we had in the past..... For the sake of argument, lets say you know how to mint a coin then flip a coin and know everything there is to know about coins, does that mean you should know upon which side it will land when you flip it?

Oh, and more dictionary terms:

Main Entry: om·nip·o·tence
Pronunciation: \äm-ˈni-pə-tən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 : the quality or state of being omnipotent
2 : an agency or force of unlimited power

SOURCE:www.merriam-webster.com...

Main Entry: om·ni·science
Pronunciation: \äm-ˈni-shən(t)s\
Etymology: Medieval Latin omniscientia, from Latin omni- + scientia knowledge — more at science
Date: circa 1610
: the quality or state of being omniscient

Main Entry: om·ni·scient
Pronunciation: \-shənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin omniscient-, omnisciens, back-formation from Medieval Latin omniscientia
Date: circa 1604
1 : having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight
2 : possessed of universal or complete knowledge
— om·ni·scient·ly adverb

Main Entry: om·ni·pres·ence
Pronunciation: \ˌäm-ni-ˈpre-zən(t)s\
Date: 1601
: the quality or state of being omnipresent : ubiquity

Main Entry: om·ni·pres·ent
Pronunciation: \-zənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 1609
: present in all places at all times

But then again I see presumption on both sides. Ah well.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The meaning of life:

To advance one's soul spiritually to a point greater than where it was when you were born.

When I say 'spiritually' I don't mean sitting in a stuffy old building every Sunday listening to poorly translated and mostly out-dated scriptures being read out loud by a so-called representative of God. If you read the Bible and the books of the other great religions with astral projection as your perspective, you'll see what the writings were really meant to convey.

The "physical" realm we dwell in is nothing more than an energy level of such density that allows us to perceive time. With that perception, our souls can begin to learn control over our thoughts and intentions; an absolute necessity to move on to higher energy levels.

Think of the Earth as pre-school for souls. Learning the basics before you can move on to childhood, and eventually, adulthood. So, if you're going through life with no regard to your spiritual development or exploration, your life is being wasted. If you're one of the millions who scoff at "spirituality" or who correlate spirituality with church, may I suggest A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle as a good place to start.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am game friend. Let us begin.

"For the sake of argument, lets say you know how to mint a coin then flip a coin and know everything there is to know about coins, does that mean you should know upon which side it will land when you flip it?"

Now let us look at this from the perspective of a god whom is omniscient.

Not only do you know everything there is to know about coins but you know everything there is to know about EVERYTHING!

You know the location and position that every atom and molecule will be at all times.

You know the exact amount of energy and location of the energy that was placed upon the coin when it was flipped and how many rotations it will make before it lands.

You know the precise weight of the coin.

You know the amount of air resistance that the coin will encounter during its flight through the air.

You will know how much heat is generated from friction of the coin through the air.

You understand Turbulence flawlessly because you know the exact position of every Atom and Molecule of Air or gas in that air.

You have the exact measurement of energy of heat in that Air and you flawlessly can predict how it would affect the turbulence of the air molecules that the coin is moving inside of while it is flipped.

You know the exact position of every molecule that comprises the surface of where that coin will land.

PLUS anything else there is to possibly know.

There exists no Chaos. There exists no Chance. There exists only a lack of variables at the present time.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You miss the point, omniscience and omnipotence aren't the same thing *though I think I messed up with my analogy, so it's my fault*. Just as action and knowledge *thought* are not the same thing.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Yeah and I definitely DID MOST CERTAINLY make a point of saying on the previous page there are differences between the definitons AS WELL as explaining the differences of the definitions MORE in depth than you did.

I think that I should not have used the word "Enlightened" and should have used the word "Explained".

Either way I am thankful that you pointed out to me that there is a difference between the two.

(But I still think that you cannot have one without the other
)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

What is "knowledge" but thought? And thought is most definantly not action. If you use your logic that means that thinking about how to kill someone is the same as killing something. In which case I think we would all be in jail at some point. Thought *omniscience* and action *omnipotence* are not the same thing no matter how you cut it.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

And what is a UNLIMITED GOD if not a God that has Done everything that can be done and Thought everything that can be thought?

We have a definition for that being in my handy dandy Merriam-Websters Dictionary....

Demi - god
\ˈde-mē-ˌgäd\
Function:
noun
Date:

1 : a mythological being with more power than a mortal but less than a god 2 : a person so outstanding as to seem to approach the divine

If you HAVE NOT done it all and you HAVE NOT thought it all you are NOT A GOD. If you HAVE done it all and thought it all there exists nothing to do.

I win.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It's funny that you bring it into you win I lose terms. All the while showing an uneven picture because once again you confine the definition to only what you think will support your claim.

Main Entry: 1god
Pronunciation: \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
Date: before 12th century
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe bChristian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship ; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Take a moment to consider that you pre-planned this life (and many others) and agreed to amnesia regarding existence before birth and your chosen experiences for this lifetime. Your spiritual/dream self guides your emotions as you live and choose experiences. Emotions that bring joyful, positive feelings indicate you are on your personal preferred path to desired outcomes and bad feelings indicate you have left the path.

If harm causes you to feel good, then that must be your current chosen path. If harm causes to feel bad, then the same logic applies. A reliable G.P.S. through life itself.

I believe the meaning of life is to follow your guide; your intuition. Your instinct, spiritual self, dream self, angel, interpreter, liaison, or gut feeling. Emotions are our reason for existence.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

You are absolutely right and I was totally wrong.

I think it is important for people to define what a God is. You are right because I am expecting not A God but THE God to be something that another person is not expecting THE God to be.

One person might believe God to not be able to be everywhere at once.

For someone else God has limits and cannot do everything possible.

Your definition of God is to be able to do anything but just to have chosen NOT to have done everything.

I see your logic. You are correct.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I do have more to add to this discussion though! (LoL)

If a being is capable of knowing EVERYTHING, would there be any need to do ANYTHING?

Since you already know the outcome of everything you could or would ever do what would ever be the point of doing ANYTHING?

That is if we were talking about the God who Knows everything but chooses not to do everything.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Another thought to add is the question of should it do anything. Then you'd have to look into the realm of motivation.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

LOL that is a good point. But the Should can only be applied to action not information. Or can it ? Well I guess not. I guess I should say that A God could have the ability to know everything there is to know but simply chooses not to know everything?

Too many classifications for a God!

Maybe We can design a God Power Structure Table. Like on ability of powers or choice to act on those powers.

Although I am sure some D&D nerd has already beat me to it somewhere.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I think knowledge simply is, whether or not you chose to or can act on it is another. On the subject of should. It's rather like situations presented in comic books really. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.
Case in point, a "God" could step in interviene *if one does indeed exist, I think it does but I don't even begin to pretend that is fact* and stop us from doing what we are doing that is harmful to ourselves and others. But if it wanted us to have free will, should it do so? Since we are after all doing this crap to ourselves it seems to me like the only way to stop us from doing what we are doing is to remove free will. Ever watched Futurama? Check out an episode called "Godfellas".

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I am watching that episode right now. Wow it is insanely funny. Best quote so far is...

"You can't give up hope just because it is hopeless! You've got to hope even more and cover your ears and go "Blah Blah Blah Blah BLAH BLAH BLAH!" -Fry

And as God said "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all". Pretty Crafty!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I get a kick out of when Bender has to remind "God" where Earth is.
Nice jab at human ego.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What is the meaning of life or maybe…what is the meaning of life to me? Great question either way to be answered and discussed, not argued!

I chose not read all of the post due to the arguing and bull sh…

The answer is easy for me to answer! Life is a journey, not a destination…Once you full accepted and believed… the easier life will be to understand and appreciate.

We all have our own independent journey in life to live, love, learn, and experience. This understanding does not have demographics, cultures, bias, political, religious, or the lack there of to overcome.

This frame of mind and outlook on life has given me a brilliant paradigm and I no longer have the ignorant, bias, or fundamentalist views of the past.

This is my educated paradigm!

S&F Op!!!

Ciao!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join