It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Being a youth leader is the meaning of life. Why did you leave your first love?
I'm not asking why you left going to church or believing in an Idol pinned to the wall of that church, but rather why you left leading youth?

Are youth not impressionable, as impressionable as you were when you first became a leader? When you, without questioning, served those minds seeking to give them the truth which came through you, and not the building you were practicing in, was that not a calling to you. Have you not been equipped through tribulation to see what is true from what is false?

You did right to reject the image of Christ leading everyone to death, only remember his name is a meaning that only the truth is doing...His name is "self existent salvation"...an action, not a man. "He had no need to witness concerning man, for he knew what was in him"

Wither Vishnu, or Yahweh or Jesus, or Mitras, or Horus....on and on...the names have meanings, that if you don't know about, you will not know the name, just it's characters....they all mean primarily the same thing...Life is salvation...."the kingdom is at hand"....no image, no untruth....just now and your choice in it....his name is not spoken, it is "Done".

Be a leader of youth...you were great at it, and his children need truth not deception. You have seen the deception...it is dark, now be a light...because you know the one in your heart is real and always have. His name only you know...

Peace

[edit on 16-7-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hey man just wanted to say that i think you truley broke down the idea behind how a person should approach such an question perfectly, but at the same time didnt really answer the question your self. Just wondering if you didnt mind elaborating upon your own personal point of view unless this is just a topic in which you dont wish to tread.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
In my opinion, the meaning of life is learning. Learning how everything works, experience, love, and even questioning life. If anyone knows someone very elderly ask them questions, because theres a good reason why people bring up wisdom with age.

Here are some quotes from respected individuals.

A.Powell Davies: "Life is just a chance to grow a soul"

Abraham Lincoln: "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

HH The Dalai Lama: "What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful"

This thread is great, if you want to get some insight on what others think, what our purpose is.

Oh, and how could I forget, Rocky's speach...
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 009America/Chicagof2009Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:13:50 -0500America/Chicago 3106America/Chicago by Trams]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
what is the meaning of life?

to keep the universe and the reality you enjoy going

kinda simple really... if there was no meaning you would not be asking why would you?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by Blaine91555

It's very possible, but not very probable.

By that standard it's intellectually dishonest to full fledgedly say that pixies, and unicorns do not exist. It's a possibility but highly improbably.

I thought this was a serious discussion?

There is only one standard to truth and only three answers; yes, no and I don't know.

It would seem what you really want is to share your view and not ask people for their answers or you would not resort to silliness when an person's belief does not match yours.

Bringing Pixies and Unicorns into this discussion is not a debate but meant to be debasing and insulting to the other person in the conversation. A classic Straw Man.

Since we can only discuss this philosophically as neither side can prove their position, all we have to go on is whether or not a belief can be supported in theory. Does the person expressing the opinion even have the necessary information to make the statement or claim.

I can only say I believe what I believe and you can only respond that you believe what you can believe. I have reasons for my beliefs and you have reasons for yours.

What you are asking requires an answer that is unique to you. That is why the "meaning of life" is a question without a single answer. For me it is to serve my God, Love my Fellow Man and try to be a positive part of this world I live in. For you it would be something entirely different altogether.

Thanks for the post and the conversation.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
On the one hand the topic is cliche, but on the other hand it's so compelling that it never seems to get old thinking about it.

Simply as I can put it, the meaning of life is to learn the meaning of life.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The meaning of my life is to make other peoples lives better, by whatever means possible.

of course i have my own desires and ambitions that drive my life, but in the end they are really just another means of fullfilling the aforementioned purpose.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good question. If God is real, why did he make us? The only answer i can come up with is because he could. I mean well, he is God and obviously nothing is closed to him. Maybe life is the greatest achievement that one can create. Just something to think about.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think the meaning of life is to return to the creator and be a companion. I think were here to learn and were all god in training.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
the meaning of life is the development of the counsciousness

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by Sendran
Legacy. What you leave behind after you die; memories; stories; offspring and their actions; physical imprints on Earth, where ever you have been and lived, all these things and many more are what will make your life to those who remain.

It doesn't have to be good or bad, morality is subjective to it's observer, the meaning of life must apply to all.

Just my tuppence.

I think your viewpoint sir, is the most logical answer to the question, kudos, and thanks for posting. Legacy is the greatest one. IMO

I dont agree with legacy being a meaning to life. If that was the case then if life ended on earth or rather human life as i guess thats what we are talking about then no more legacy so what meaning did any of it have if not to continue on in some way. What meaning did the first life have. Why was it created or sprang into existence. I do not think there is any meaning to life. Life is just life. It is what it is. People search for some greater meaning as to why we are. People of faith search for the reason why the creator was created. Where did it come from and why was it called into being. Who created it. and who created that creator etc etc. I like what someone wrote about what does it mean to you. I think thats all that matters. If there was one single reason we existed then the cretor decided we didnt need to know and if there was no intelligent design to life and the universe, if it just sprang into existence then guess what, no meaning to life there, it just happened. Keep asking why and eventually once you realize like millions of other sentient humans throughout existence have figured realized that we dont know why, then you will accept it and just wait for death and pray there are nswers then becuase there are none here.
I agree with the ideas about our souls being here to grow and learn but to me that still doesnt explain WHY my soul was created in the first place. It may explain my purpose on earth but not the very reason i was created by my god. Only he knows why he decided to make ME and all of the rest of mankind. Was it because he was lonely, was it because it completed "it" to create something, who knows. To know all this would also let us know where we are going to understand why we came into being in the first place. Because after all if there is an after life past this one is that one forever or just yet another step to another step to many more that will be revealed along the journey. And does the journey have an end. If it does then WHY make the journey inthe first place?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the O.P. we are animals, instinctively we procreate.
And I think the question was posed quite well also, otherwise this thread would have broken down into a complete mess.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I have thought about this for several years. The more I learn the more I think I am right, at least in my right mind

The answer to the Meaning of Life is very, very simple. The answer is: To Live.

Its just that we have forgotten how to live.

Because of our governments, religions and the media we are born into and kept in a constant state of fear. This fear keeps us ALL in a survival mode. Our understanding of living is grossly changed into just mere existance. This existance is NOT LIVING!!!

So now instead of asking "what is the meaning of life" we need to begin to understand the answer by asking "what does it mean to live"?

So far all that I can come up with is: To Live starts with being GOOD to one another. After reading the HeartMath book, this statement makes even more sense to me.

Just my 2 cents...........................

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I actually enjoy badmedia's posts on here,always seem's well thought out on his/her views.

anyway good thread and something i think about a hell of alot and imo i can only believe we are here for the experience,the love,the pain,im only young and the emotional ride i have experienced so far has been crazy things i never thought i could deal with,to m this just seems the most logical view from my point anyway.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

In all honesty, I loved the stories, and could hold a pretty good arguement for the side of religion.

My mother always wanted me to become a pastor, which I was eh on, but found the idea of discussing a book for fairly good money, to be a great idea!

Then superstitions, and me having to seclude myself from a myriad of things, to strengthen my faith became almost unbearable.

Everything in the bible, I had to twist around and interpret, and bend slightly so it didn't break. I kept making personal excuses for everything.

Then the rest of my story, is the exact same/parellel with dawkins story.

When I was a kid, 12, i had a friend, jon, devout catholic, would go on and on about how we should pray to mary and not jesus. Lot of bs, I tried to convert him to mine.

Then I had an idea, his parents were devouter catholics, and I asked him to be honest with me, I said if your parents were muslims, would you still be a devout catholic, he thought for a few minutes and replied, no, i'd be a devout muslim, but my parents are catholic, which god purposely put them there for me, so I could see the truth.

Then the seed started to form in my mind.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by valiant

I actually enjoy badmedia's posts on here,always seem's well thought out on his/her views.

I was attacking badmedia, quite the opposite really

Great poster badmedia is!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

oh yeah sorry i know you wasn't attacking i was just adding my thought's

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The meaning of life? Hmm. At first I thought that the world revolves around me (teenage years if you know what I mean), things like why aren't I getting this MY way. Than as you finish school (governments way to breed drones), and you go to the working world (not a pretty sight) with politics and ass-kissing of the higher ups. Than you get into a relationship, "fall in love" and revolve your life around this one person and when everything screws up, you will think why are they not making you happy after all i have done for them. Yep. I wasted my youth doing all of above. And as I am at my half-way mark to death door (that make me 40s if I can live up to 80. haha.) I realise that I have been living MY life all wrong and been expecting everyone to make ME happy and that the only person who can do that is myself. So, I suppose the meaning of life really is very INDIVIDUAL. Nobody can give you a definite answer and say look here is the answer. Nope won't happen. Cos I think the answer is always changing at different stages in our lifes and we will only know what the meaning of life means to us only on our death beds.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by rozrokz

And therefore, it is best to die now, while we're still alive!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The meaning of life?

Trample the weak and get all we can.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join