It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Yeah I think that I have seen it in a movie before. Where at the end in the Afterlife a Husband and Wife decide they want to live life over again and hit the Reset Button on their memory.

Unfortunately if we imagine that they have done that possibly in a previous life they lose all of the experiences from the previous life each time they hit the reset button.

It would be cool if after every life in the Afterlife (or staging area between lives) all of those memories came back to you.

I guess like a never ending virtual reality life simulator. After all what would a being who lived forever do for fun. Play Sims 584 Ultra Deluxe Version. Now with the downloadable TurkeyBurgers expansion pack!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

That sounds like "What Dreams May Come" at the end.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Yeah I didn't want to say the movie title to spoil it for someone who has not seen it. Spoiler-In-The-Shadows!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

May never watch it otherwise.
But if you remember they only go back back because she wanted to take another pass so to speak because of what she did in the last one. To quote the movie: "Eternity is a long time to feel wrong." or something to that effect.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Oh I see. So it was like a second chance? Oh yeah she offed herself. I see like redemption for suicide. Yeah that makes sense.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Now who is the spoiler? Spoilerburger?
And it wasn't so much redemption so much as she had no one to redeem herself to. If you remember they were unsure where "God" was in all of that.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

If you've never read the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series, you should. The 3rd :Life, The Universe and, everything is terribly enlightening as well as funny and an easy read. Best source for meaning so far.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

lolololol. Yeah you called me on that one. Well ain't we a pair raggedy man.

I think that if we do indeed ever prove Scientifically that Alternate Dimensions exist or Parallel Dimensions or if we prove that Alternate Universes exist or we can create alternate Time lines with time travel we might be a little bit closer to finding God.

All things being equal maybe God leaves a footprint behind that is detectable whenever God interacts with this Universe or a hidden pattern or a message that we could decode.

It seems reasonable to think that if there was a God and if that God was responsible for creating everything (the Universe) and was capable of watching us grow from Amoeba into Intelligent Beings it would WANT to communicate with us?

Maybe God does not interfere so that we truly have free will. Maybe once we are advanced enough God will Project Blue Beam us and say "Whatup Mortals?"

Then it might be a good time to ask "What is the meaning of life bragh?"

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The map is not the territory, but that there is a territory is, in and of itself evidence of a creator and a first/last cause, and the tracts left, well they are in you at the deepest level, in simple awareness of being, where to be is to be percieved.

God is highly solipsistic, not some OTHER someWHERE, and yet at the same time, infinitely greater than, the self, as a phenomenon that is BOTH innerent AND transcendant.

It's a fundamental I-thou relationship, and the the philosophically minded seeker can understand it and why it's there.

To set out to prove the non-existence of God is like setting out to prove your own non-existence.

The problem begins when Atheists PRESUME to know what all believers believe, but they are plain wrong and the evidence is all stacking up in favour of those who intuit a deep fundemental oneness at the center and source of all existence, which is a beingness, and one which, at it's apex is self aware and omniscient.

It's an ultra-rational ascent, but it's not without logic or reason.

So please Atheists, stop insulting believers, and call yourselves Agnostic, not Atheist, which is an aburd and logically inconsistent and impossible position to take.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SchefSalad

I was not aware there was more than one book? A series you say? I will have to try and check it out from my local library the next time that I go.
(I have only seen the movie)

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
My views on the meaning of life have certainly changed over the years. I used to think procreation was at the root of it, but I don't believe that anymore. A person with no children can leave more of a legacy than one who does have children, it simply depends on what they do in and with their lives. Most people with kids live life working to pay their kids way, then they die. Their kids will miss them, remember them, continue to love them, but will most likely do the exact same thing, work their life away and die. I remeber my father well, he was the epitomy of military life, he loved his country, and served it for 33 years in the air force. He retired 100 percent disabled, and lived the few short years of the rest of his life tryint to spend time with his family. He died young, 52, I remember standing their looking at him and thinking what was it all for? Why try so hard at life when this is the end result for all of us? I decided then to try to be good to others, to live my life the way I want to, have fun when I want, I don't worry about what other people say or think, when I die I will have those around me saying 'well, she lived a happy life and was good to others' because there isn't anything called a happy death. I want my friends and family to remember that I loved to have fun. I love to sing, I love to be on stage, and I love my fans. That makes me happy, having a few good drinks makes me happy. Making others happy, makes me happy.

I do hope there is a heaven, and I hope I get in, but I will not waste another moment sitting in a building allowing theives to tell me to give them my money or go to hell. I give money directly to those in need, if I have it, not to a church or organization. Church is a hoax anymore. IMO goodness is inside us, and if you believe in God then you know if you are his or not, no church can make that decision for you.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Eh, I would be content to just watch. And occasionally convertly participate.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You two probably could've chatted via u2u rather than derailing the entire thread... where's a moderator when you need one.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueBoy9

And here you are derailing it more in complaint.
Practice what you preach there skippy.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah Blueboy. What better place to discuss the parameters of God than in a thread discussing the meaning of life?

For probably 73.9% of people in the world the quest for meaning in life would be synonymous with God.

Stick that in your garden and grow it!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I tried to keep it on topic in the midst of your lovers' quarrel but you guys just kept on goin'. So I suppose I do in fact preach what I practice.. eh Skippy?

What better place to discuss the parameters of God than in a thread discussing the meaning of life?

Oh I don't know... how about a seperate thread entiled "The Parameters of God"?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

LoL!
I love the paradox! Derailing by complaining about derailing.
Thank you for the laugh. See the stars? Seems like your the only one bugged about the tangent.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.. you derail a thread, get called out on it, then laugh about someone further derailing it from calling you out? Thats like getting caught speeding, then demanding the cop give himself a speeding ticket for having to catch up to you. Just take the medicine and post on topic from now on. No need to get your superiority complex in a bunch.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Oh so now you're like cop huh?
See that little red ignore button? Know how to use it?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just let it go. You got called out and can't stand being wrong about something. Post some more "LoL you're still doing it!!!11!! LoL
the paradox!!1! LoL you think you're a cop!! LoL
" and I won't even reply.. just to let you have the last word.

As for the ignore button, what for? If I did that I'd miss out on your stunning intellect in the future!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join