It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man vs Wild or Survivorman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

OR

Your opinion. Who is more informative toward the direction of actually learning something from?

Who takes home the gold?

[edit on 8-7-2009 by h1satsu]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

What is the point of this thread exactly?

Survivorman is a much better program if you are hoping to learn anything. Man VS Wild is good entertainment but he doesn't exactly give the best advice for staying alive. (constantly getting wet, taking way too many unnecessary risks...etc)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
That's the exact kind of answer I'm looking for.
Lol i miss both shows, I don't think they air here anymore.
California, USA.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by h1satsu

What is the point of this thread exactly?

Survivorman is a much better program if you are hoping to learn anything. Man VS Wild is good entertainment but he doesn't exactly give the best advice for staying alive. (constantly getting wet, taking way too many unnecessary risks...etc)

Ya survivor man is awesome, and hes canadian, so a tad bit of pride their on my part.

He really limits himself, and its not just watching him for an hour, he actually explains why he does or does not do something. Nothing is worse that educating people by saying "this is what you do, its the way it is". People need an explanation why we do certain things, to truly learn.

So, not sure what this thread is actually about, but I am going to go on the voting assumption.

King votes for Survivorman.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Not really voting, but your opinion on who is more informative and helpful in the direction of actually learning something from.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

Just a personal tidbit here, but you would probably get a better discussion going if you cleared up your original post and dropped the "lulz". The "lulz" made me think this was supposed to be some sort of joke thread.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
There we go, all cleaned up. How's that?

Not a one liner.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Oh hell that's easy. Survivorman is the shizzle. Les Stroud is 10 times the survivor that Bear Grylls thinks he is.

First, Les does everything HIMSELF! He doesn't have a camera crew, no help or support, and he puts him self out there on his own for a whole week.

Bear sets up a campsite and then heads back to the hotel, gets a hot meal and sleeps well.

Bear doesn't take his own shots, he lets his film crew do that for him. He talks to local folks and gets them to leave stuff out on the "trail" for him. If Les doesn't hunt, trap or fish his own meal, he doesn't eat.

I could go on and on, but I agree with Karl, Man vs. Wild is a damn entertainment show, and has NOTHING to do with true surviving.

But I guess you could pick up some pointers on either show, and they both put themselves in danger. One does it for education, the other for entertainment.

My vote though, Survivorman. Too bad he quit doing it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

Much better.

To be honest, both guys are pretty impressive but I stand by my original statement. Les Stroud is probably about as close as you can get to being "my hero" these days. To make a living the way that he does would be a dream come true.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Survivorman is easily superior. His advice is common sense with a bit of training mixed in well. You could do far worse...

...and with that segue...

Man vs Wild? If you want to die in a survival situation, please do follow his advice. Running downhill. Jumping into a fast flowing river. Yadda, yadda, and so on...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Man vs Wild seems to be more entertainment based, and I've always heard he had a camera crew with him (somebodys got to be taping him, right?).. While, Les on Survivorman is all by himself (he holds the camera himself), and tends to be more about pure survival; what to do if there are no other options. I agree with the above posters, Bear does tend to take unnecessary risks, like climbing icebergs and sliding down mountains. I prefer survivorman, if only because it just seems less prepared ahead of time.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't mind making a living out of what Les Stroud does; very fun.
lmao @ the comment about Bear Grylls running down fat hills and jumping into rivers.
Do they play anything like this on tv anymore? I miss these shows.

*EDIT*
Also, do any of you think any of these movies are worth watching.
www.survival-spot.com...

[edit on 8-7-2009 by h1satsu]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Here check this out, Bear Grylls.

Eat your own poo. (It's not real, it's funny)

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Considering they both cheat a little and have been caught I would say neither....its entertainment.
They both have good skills but I would go for Survivorman if I had to choose.
It still bugs me that they cheat a little.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yea Survivorman is more realistic but alot more Boring in my opinion. Man Vs Wild is more about entertainment..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I'd have come to agree with Survivor Man as well. haha

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Whoa man, tell me how Les Stroud has cheated? Give me some facts on that one.

I've looked in to his background A LOT and I've never come across that one...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

In the filming of the Georgia swamp.. his guide that took him into the swamp, Charlie was asked to supply a dead snake, which was later used in the show.

Now, as far as useful information, Survivorman is far more informative.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

WHOA! Missed that one...where did you get that info? My heart breaks a little at that...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

I am gonna make my buddy do the research on that one when he comes over later since he was the one that broke it to me.
Les Stroud supposedly admitted it as well.
Since I spoke out of my butt with no proof I will make sure to get to the bottom of if its true or not for you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join