It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man vs Wild or Survivorman

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Wasn't exactly bread crumbs.

I think it was his rain jacket that he tore pieces off and tied strips to branches.

It may have been a rain poncho.

If you want I could find the news article and post it. It was fairly recent (2 or 3 weeks ago) it shouldn't be that hard to find.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Please.

Tearing up his coat/jacket is almost as stupid.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Here you go. Apparently he tore his rain slicker apart during a downpour.

SALT LAKE CITY – When he realized he'd been separated from his family on a weekend hike in a northern Utah forest, 9-year-old Grayson Wynne's thoughts turned to television. Grayson watches "Man vs. Wild" on the Discovery Channel every week with his brothers and his dad. On the show, host and adventurer Bear Grylls strands himself in the wilderness and then shows viewers how to survive the sticky situations.

That's where Grayson says he learned to leave clues behind to help searchers find him.

On Saturday, when he was scared and alone in the Ashley National Forest, Grayson started tearing up his yellow rain slicker, despite the intermittent downpours, and tying pieces to trees.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by ImaNutter

He's also something of a fraud where his television show is concerned.

My point was that TELEVISION IS A FRAUD. It's television... for entertainment... to make money... TEEE VEEEE.

All their shows tell you is that Les Stroud is a better TV Producer than whoever runs Bear's show. 'Tis it. And for Discovery it would have been an awful decision to have the two shows mirror each other. Obviously one's gimmick (Les') is to survive for a week. One (Bear's) is about rare extreme individual situations instead of just "making it alive" for a week. So to a TV hypnotized fool if you compare the two you will say "Well Bear stages # I'd like to see him out there for a week surviving!!" Um, in real life, he's done far harder than that.

If anyone wants to know about their real life accolades and credentials, you can find it in REAL LIFE... not on TV. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by jd140

Please.

Tearing up his coat/jacket is almost as stupid.

Lmao.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
WTH are you guys talking about? Bear grylls is awesome, Ex- British Air Force. Air Forces all around the world make you study how to survive in the wild, we did 2 week survival trips in US Air Force.
yes he is geared a little more entertainment, but I'm certain that is the TV Producers fault. And the fact he has a crew follow him makes it easier for him to concentrate on giving you info. and make sure it is best for entertainment also.
How to boil water for safe drinking in plastic bottle, how to filter stream water through the ground, how to use nothing but a stick and snow to supposrt your weight to climb down a mountain side. How can you say that is pure entertainment, that might just save your life someday.
And Grylls is smarter, he carries a multi tool with a fire steel for fire starting. Les just tells you to try starting a fire without one. Everyone knows the old methods of starting a fire but most wouldnt think to have a fire steel.
He also showed what to do if you start losing feeling in your hands in icy climate to prevent frost bite. Simple as waving your arms in a circle, very rigorously til feeling returns.

Bear Grylls wins, hands down.
And this comes from an ex US Air Force who studied and trained to survive as part of basic training.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Does anyone have anything good to say about ray mears?
...not part of the topic but a good teacher for survival in the wilderness i think.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well, usually they are on back to back so I watch em both! Both are awesome.

I have seen Les tap out several times, he has had to get help multiple times, and probably has died many more times. More hardcore. That and hes from Canada so..

Whereas Bear always help, multiple people. Totally awesome to see him bite the heads off stuff and eat it. Worse thing ever seen on either shows: the part where he pissed in to a dead hollowed out (roughly hollowed out anyways..) snake carcass, then drank it. Piss + blood + snake insides. Awesome.

man vs wild still my fave i'd have to say

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Ray Mears is extremely good!!
I have seen him make everything from a birchbark canoe to a paddle that used to be a log.
I agree Ray Mears knows his stuff.
There you go Solomon

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone honestly likes Man vs Wild more than Survivor Man, for the love of god people, Man vs Wild admits at the beginning of each show that it's pretty much staged! He has the damn camera man there with him constantly, and trained professionals always off-camera!

The dude in Survivor Man is on his own all the time! Not even a camera man is with him, let alone the fact that he has to carry around hundreds of pounds of equipment.

Survivor Man>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Man vs Wild

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Man Vs Wild lost me when i saw him go after some honey from a bee hive and got stung in the eye. He was lucky that these weren't Africanized bees or he would be dead now. I saw that and thought to myself, this guy is an idiot.

Survivorman has his bad moments too. Like when in the arctic episode, he is trying to light a fire using a rifle and a cartridge with the bullet pulled out.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Like i've said if anyone knows other good survivalist that do video/episodes toss 'em out here, i'll be glad to check them out.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Solomons

Ray Mears is extremely good!!
I have seen him make everything from a birchbark canoe to a paddle that used to be a log.
I agree Ray Mears knows his stuff.
There you go Solomon

Yay!
i'll take the one liner spanking....

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i'll have to throw a vote for survivorman.
he did an interview i read where he was just basically tired of being hungry all the time.
you can see it on his face. plus he's a pretty rational train of thought when it comes down to survival.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

Survivorman

Second Line.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Survivorman, I feel, is more entertaining and more informative. Although he doesn't stumble upon a placed animal carcas as much as in Man Vs Wild, Les really makes it seem like he is really attempting to survive. Man Vs. Wild on the other hand has situations that are presented to Bear and I'm sure we've all seen the videos on Youtube of him (whether or not you believe them is up to you.)

Overall though

Survivorman hands down

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Survivorman. IMO, Man vs. Wild is more about shock factor than anything else. I wont even watch it because it's so gross. Granted, in a survival situation, you do what you have to do, but come on...

I think Survivorman is more of the real deal because he goes out ALONE and does his own camera work and the whole nine yards. BG has a crew. Les Stroud is the man!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm far from an expert, but I did take a year of training and participated in multiple survival trips in the late 60's. I was raised in a farming ranching family and have hunted my whole life.

Survivorman is far more authentic from what I saw. The other fellow did a lot of dumb stuff and dangerous stuff as was mentioned.

Reality?

Never go to a remote location without telling multiple people where you are going and when you are expected to return. Tell them to call for help if you don't contact them or return on time.

Carry a locator with you and if you can't afford one you should not be taking such trips.

Always carry basic survival supplies in your vehicle or on you when you go where you could end up in trouble.

Never go out alone. Two can do the work of three individuals working alone and survival chances go way up.

If lost stay put unless you are sure where to go, that you can get there and have maps and a compass or GPS device with you.

Keep signal fires burning and wait.

Don't get your training from a TV program. Get professional training.

Don't assume you can survive in area's you are unfamiliar with. True survival includes knowing the local plants and wildlife. You will be surviving mostly on plants and that knowledge is critical.

Know which plants are dangerous or you may kill yourself with a common poisonous plant that looks like a wild onion for instance.

The trips I went on were with experts who ran a program at a University. My whole Boy Scout Troop took it for a year as our last year in Scouts. We spent a week in the winter in the mountains and two weeks in the desert in the summer. The desert was easier to survive in believe it or not. Rattlesnake is great by the way
Porcupine sucks but feeds the whole camp and they are easy to get. Field Mice taste fine but the idea is a bit off putting.

Learning Survival and the practice trips are great recreation and a valuable skill to have. Survival is mainly keeping a clear head and making logical choices.

Find water, then shelter and only then worry about food. With water and shelter you can exist a long time.

Make sure you know how to start fires like the back of your hand. Literally. Those signal fires is what will get you saved. Even if nobody knows you are lost, somebody will react to smoke. Fire is rescue, warmth, protection and one of the most important bits of survival knowledge you can have. Many other things you can figure out on your own.

A survival kit can be simple yet effective.

Fire starting items like waterproof matches, flint and steel and steel wool.
Know how to build a bow drill and use it to start a fire.
Fishing line and hooks.
Parachute cord as it is strong and takes up little space.
Water purification tablets and the common sense to not drink water you are unsure of.
A real survival blanket.
A small plastic tarp.
A knife made of steel that will strike a spark from flint or chert (ironically a genuine Boy Scout Knife is the right kind of steel) .
Salt tablets.
A small metal container for boiling and cooking.

If you have room; an Axe, a wool blanket, rope and a wood saw are indispensable.

All of the above can fit in a small container in your trunk or backpack. I keep a kit in my vehicles at all times. Don't buy that crap off the racks at KMart. Get good stuff.

OK, I'm rambling on here and I've gone way off topic. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Survivor Man is the real deal, he is alone in the woods. But he explains everything that he's doing.

Man vs. Wild is with a camera and rescue crew so it is mostly informative and he can show you what to do in case you get in a sticky situation (fall through ice, etc).

I

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm just a dude (not a survival guy unless it's survival in the inner city) but I'll go for Bear grylls over Les Stroud any day. What you guys say might be true. For your average Joe, Les gives you better advice (I had to bite my tongue and not write Les gives you more). However, Bear is ex-SAS and broke the worlds record for paragliding - that dude paraglided over MT EVEREST!!!! Maybe, he does crazier # because he's more capable of it. Plus, I think he'd be better company if I was trapped somewhere. Seems to have a better sense of humor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join