It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man vs Wild or Survivorman

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Although I like both programs, and I most certainly appreciate what both men do in regards to wilderness safety and survival, I am nonetheless a true Bear Grylls fan. I enjoy his presentation, his high-paced character, and the numerous bits of advice that he offers during the showing of such. As a matter of fact, a kid who just recently survived being lost in the wilderness stated outright that he learned everything from "Man Vs. Wild":

TV Show Helps Utah Boy Survive Night Solo In Woods

That, in my opinion, is the ultimate gratification and justification for Mr. Grylls and his program.

Also, Bear Grylls' MIL background truly catches my attention as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Les all the way for me.

I'm not saying Bear doesn't have the background - but he takes too many risks the average person simply could not do and survive. Climb up/down cliffs on vines, run down loose rocks, etc. etc.

I've been out in the woods on and off a good bit of my life. I kind of know my limitations.

When I was Les I think things like, "I could do that. That's handy to know. I'll have to remember that."

When I watch Bear I think things like, "I'd be dead in 30mins tops if I tried doing that."

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
For all the Les haters may i point out to you "Snowshoes and Solitude" (also a song by Les) is a Documentary of him and his wife on their honeymoon. Before the perverts that be think too much in to this lol i should point out that they spent an ENTIRE year in the Canadian wilderness(Wabakimi National Park). IIRC they had 75 lbs of rice and a few other necessities (Les has a friend bring him a small stove in the late fall) thats including our winter which is no small feat.

I watch both series though but i have to say Les is the real deal whereas Bear no matter how good his resume is, is a showoff and does dangerous stunts in the name of entertainment.

Les also has a book out called "Survive" that i would highly recommend to anyone who is a fan.

Plus I'm a Canadian as well and that never hurt anything ;P

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
its funny how in england what you know as man vs wild is called born survivor, it seems that they feel americans must have conflict in the title or competition, anyways, havent seen survivor man, but i love these types of programs

but what about the master, Ray Mears

[edit on 10-7-2009 by THELONIO]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
OK in a survival situation, you wouldnt be carrying around hundreds of pounds of equipment. Not a burden you would carry with you, whereas les has to bear the burder.
so les is just as fake in the form of surviving if not faker than bear. at least bear has a cameraman recording him, therefore its a little more of an unbiased view of him doing stuff. plus bear shows you what to do in case of, extreme situations.
what if your plane crashes on top of a high mountain, you have no choice but to find a way down, no matter how dangerous it is. Bear shows you the extreme survival scenarios. He thinks about the worse case things, but getting stung in the ey trying to get honey was kind of dumb on his part. But very entertaining.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
IMO man vs wild is the best.. survivor man just sits out in the wild and starves for a few days. Both are good shows but when i saw survivor man use a magnesium starter for the first time??? I knew he was lame... hell Im no survivor but i always keep a mag starter with me.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Man vs Wild is like watching some kind of side show geek , he eats anything I mean anything . There's episodes that you only can find on utube.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpusMarkII
Man vs Wild is like watching some kind of side show geek , he eats anything I mean anything . There's episodes that you only can find on utube.
how do you know
very intrseting
survivor man definitly

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Zeplin100]

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Zeplin100]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Bear GRILLZ! He would Kill Survivor man with his Spec Ops SAS training and EAT HIM!

BEAR squeezed elephant dung to drink the water out of it.

BEAR is survivor man + survive at any cost to yourself.

BEAR is the type of guy who would chew through his arm if it was stuck and then show you how to preserve it and use as a food energy source.

PLUS Bear takes a Knife and a Canteen.

"Survivor" if we can call him that "Man" is all about backpacking in as many supplies as he can get his hands on.

BEAR GRILLLLLZ hands down fool.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
Bear GRILLZ! He would Kill Survivor man with his Spec Ops SAS training and EAT HIM!

BEAR squeezed elephant dung to drink the water out of it.

BEAR is survivor man + survive at any cost to yourself.

BEAR is the type of guy who would chew through his arm if it was stuck and then show you how to preserve it and use as a food energy source.

PLUS Bear takes a Knife and a Canteen.

"Survivor" if we can call him that "Man" is all about backpacking in as many supplies as he can get his hands on.

BEAR GRILLLLLZ hands down fool.

Whoz girlz is he the guy on man vs wild hes a joke just look at his show hes very uninformitive

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

MANVSWILd
i dont like him at all hes EEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL like Barack OSAMA peace out

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I agree with THELONIO. Neither can hold a candle to the true master, Ray Mears.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I watched Bear jump from the roof of a one story house about six to eight feet to jump onto a ladder hanging from the rescue helicopter. Of course the helicopter had flown fifty or sixty miles to get there and could have gotten that ladder another eight feet without much effort but Bear likes to make it seem dramatic.

You can't call it a survival show when stupid things are done for dramatic effect. It's merely entertainment.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

Having seen most episodes of both shows they are such a mixed bag of good and bad there can be no comparison. Survivorman really puts himself through some tough situations and quite often needlessly suffers: for example he froze during a night in the swamp in the southern US. He slept on a pile of Spanish Moss yet didnt get enough to cover up with. neither did he bother to make 2 fires and lay between them.
Man vs Wild cheats quite often and needlessly put himself at risk for macho appeal. He also pre-positions things he supposedly "finds" and uses: like a dead mountain chamois.
The real trick is to know what is useful and what is not. But the only way to know that difference is to already know the skills they are attemting to show.
My advice is go take some classes, read all you can and above all try it out at home where you can get to safety quickly should things go wrong.
In the end I would have to say that both shows are good entertainment but very poor sources of real survival information.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Alright let me lay this one to rest Bear Grylls is the man, enough said, or should we just let the videos speak for themself.

CX

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Lol Bear Grylls.

Do enough digging and you'll find out that he was 21 SAS, thats the TA.

Saying you're ex 22 reg sells books and tv shows better though.

Don't get me wrong, even the TA SAS is supposed to be a tough one to get through, and Bear has achieved a hell of a lot in his lifetime, but just don't take everything you read as gospel.

Ray Mears would get my vote every time. A lot less likely to get you killed than BG. I'm suprised they didn't ask Ray Mears to be the new scout chief actualy, but they asked BG instead.

CX.

[edit on 21/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Bear is just ridiculous. Jumping off cliffs and running down hills for dramatic effect, and he has his film crew with him the whole time.

Les seems like a real down to earth guy who really enjoys what he is doing. The special he made about his wife and children living 100 percent off the grid in the canadian outback was fascinating.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join