It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad says he wants public talks with Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said he wants to engage President Obama in "negotiations" before international media, a semi-official Iranian news outlet reported on Saturday.

Speaking at a meeting of medical school deans, Ahmadinejad said Iran "will soon pursue a new round of diplomatic activity" amid a new position of strength for the Iranian government, the Iranian Student News Agency quotes him as saying.

"I will go to the United Nations and will invite Obama to negotiations," Ahmadinejad said, adding that such talks would be "in front of the international media, not a sit-down behind closed doors in order to talk about matters."

The Obama administration has sought dialogue with Iran but also criticized the government for its handling of unrest after disputed presidential elections.

CNN News Source Link

I am not sure if this has been already posted. But please remove if there is evidence it has. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

im not exactly sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. only time will tell i suppose.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This will most certainly be a very interesting thing, it will show us how good Obama really is without his telepromter or how bad he is,

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Boy, I sure hope this turns out well.

I bet that our friends at the UK hate us right about now.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
for some reason i feel like Obama is walking into an ambush.
there just has to be a trick somewhere. why would someone refuse to speak, let things get absolutely worse, then all of a sudden become agreeable?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Ahmadinejad, has no intentions of negotiating with Obama, he just wants to do this in a public forum as a means to build a "good" reputation for the world. Also a stall tactic.

Our campaigner and chief will blindly go into this. Obama really is starting to remind me of Chamberlain(sp?).

I mean honestly there is enough historical evidence to demand pre-conditions before we even sit down at the table not to mention negotiations. There is nothing to negotiate. Iran wants nukes, Iran is going to do what it wants. It's as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This proposed negotiation sounds more like a public grandstanding on the part of the Iranian president. I see no purpose for this other than that He knows it will not happen as it would not be of any possible advantage to the US and can only raise the status of this little Iranian fellow to bolster his position on the world stage.

Not going to happen IMHO.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Since Ahmajackoff could talk circles around Obama when he's without a teleprompter, I'll bet he really, really would like public talks.

It would be a world-smart terrorist against a gullible, inexperienced facist-wannabe.

Besides, we don't really know for certain where Obama came from, how he came by his money, or who he's really working for.

Sure as hell isn't the US.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Considering everything that Obama does or says as President is controlled and pre determined i can't see his handlers allowing this. Amajinadad will not keep to the script, he has his own agenda. I think if Obama was to debate him in a non controlled enviroment we would see how little Obama can think on his feet or even how little he is aware of things around him.
I don't think the U.S. would look like cowards for walking away from this latest challenge.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Would be very interesting to watch, but im highly suspicious about it actually happening. If it does, Ahmadinejad would destroy Obama, would be even more interesting to see how Obama tries to hide the fact that he's a fascist and what Mr. A says to corner him.

Again, would be wonderful to watch, wont happen, Obama would get slammed.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
i think this is funny.
it has been said many times that obama has never shown his real birth certificate & is president by means of fraud,
then theres Ahmadinejad who it seems is also elected by dodgy fraud hence the riots in iran.
sooo we seem to have two dodgy leaders fraudulent leaders that want to meet.
what do they want to speak to each other about ? corruption

this is not politics this is bolotics

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is just a weak attempt by Ahmedinejad to try and gain some legitimacy. Obama won't go for it as he has already spoken out against the violence Ahmedinejad has perpetrated against the people of Iran. I would be surprised if the UN would be willing to go along with it as well. Obama is doing the right thing by staying out of the events in Iran, as if he were to get involved, it would give the oppressors a target and they would claim US imperialists were the cause of the social uprising.

The Top clerics in Iran have condemned Ahemedinejad for the violence and repression and have called his election invalid. Ahmedinejad is feeling increased isolation as even his pals in Russia have refused to hold meetings with him since the fraudulent election. The Kingdom of Jordan has banned Iranian state television from broadcasting in Jordan, and even the Sultan of Oman has cancelled all meetings with Ahmedinejad.

Ahmedinejad has lost all moral authority in Iran and will never be seen as a benevolent leader again. He is becoming desperate and grasping at straws in an attempt to remain relevant.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Obama really has no right to try and wriggle out of this, he has criticized Iranian regime, and now Dinnerjacket is basically saying "Oh yeah? Wanna say that to my face?"

Luckily for Obama, the UN wont allow this to happen, letting him save face and making it appear like he didn't back out of it.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well, unless Ahmendinjad (Or however you spell it!) provides an entirely scripted dialogue to Obama's handlers, this just won't happen. We've seen the debacle that ensues when Obama tries to speak without his teleprompter - "uh, ummmm, ah, uh, ummm, I think um... ah, um..." Heck, I've seen the debacle that ensues when he speaks WITH his teleprompter. There is no way that this would end well for the U.S.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Obama has been promoting talks with Iran over their nuclear ambitions. He has not changed this point.

In this case we have Ahmedinejad trying to grandstand in an attempt to appear relevant when his power is weakening at home. He is not trying to engage in diplomacy. He is simply trying to grab attention. There is a huge difference. If it was diplomacy he was after he would have called the White House and arranged a meeting. What he has done instead is to simply shout out his desire to rant in front of the UN.

From the same article:

Last week, Obama said Iran's government must justify itself not in the eyes of the United States, but in the opinion of its own people.

"A sizable percentage of the Iranian people themselves ... consider this election illegitimate," he said at a White House news conference. "It is not too late for the Iranian government to recognize that there is a peaceful path that will lead to stability and prosperity."

[edit on 5/7/09 by Terapin]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Ahmedinejad's insecurity on the world stage and utter lack of diplomacy has had a tremendous effect on world politics since he came in.

Representing a theocratic government formed by an Islamic Revolution is a tough act. It demands appearing reasonable and sympathetic.

The opposite has occurred. Ahmedinejad embarrasses the Sunni regimes particularly Saudi Arabia, by showing up to events uninvited. He antagonizes Israel in a manner that is uncalled for.

He often claims to represent the coming 12th Imam, a Shiite belief akin to the Second Coming of Christ. Even the Ayatollahs rebuke for this.

He's seen as an emotionally unstable fruitcake out of touch with the fragile balance of world politics.

Because Iran is a major oil producer, they are given some attention. That they throw their money around supporting rogue regimes, terrorist organizations, and nuclear projects causes both interest and concern.

An unstable spokesman implies an unstable agenda.

Iran has become a pariah state. It's few allies are there because they are on a buying spree.

A tragedy because Iranians are intelligent and peaceful by nature. Their country is being held captive by a small group of corrupted Mullahs who are incapable of getting with the program of how to run a country of 70 Million people. They are courting disaster, economically, politically, militarily.

Ahmedinejad only hastens the process.

Mike

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

I can't agree more.

If anyone ever needed the smack down it's Ahmadinejad. Why hasn't anyone taken out that mouth piece? Ahmadinejad is much closer to possessing WMD's than Saddam ever was.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Originally posted by Terapin

In this case we have Ahmedinejad trying to grandstand in an attempt to appear relevant when his power is weakening at home. He is not trying to engage in diplomacy. He is simply trying to grab attention. There is a huge difference. If it was diplomacy he was after he would have called the White House and arranged a meeting. What he has done instead is to simply shout out his desire to rant in front of the UN.

That's one way to interpret it.

Obama has been saying some stuff in public about Ahmedinejad, judging him for how he is running his country. Why should Obama criticize publicly, and Ahmedinejad be forced to defend himself privately?

People cry all the time for transparency from our politicians. Myself I'm always interested in seeing public debate between politicians. It is the one situation where they cannot be fully prepared, and you gain an insight into their true character. I can see why Obama would love to avoid this situation.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Has the revolution ended yet? bummer.

Well, some things Obama should demand is the freedom of the political prisoners taken during the opposition (that is only charged with taking part of protests...if they did other crimes, such as vandalism, etc...then thats their bad)as a sign of good faith and free speech before meeting.

pretty sure this isnt a spelling bee they are talking about, so there is not going to be someone who "wins" during this little chit chat. (wake up fruit loops).

Obama should meet him, yep, and there should be a low key meeting with a small handful of people and it be on record for the media to post once over.

I donno..I like Iran, but not the leadership (I spose thats how the iranians feel about the west also).

Why is this on ATS btw? is there a conspiracy here? perhaps they will talk about the 9/11 coverup...or akmydeenerjob (snickers) will reveal that he is a reptilian shape shifting alien whom requires the blood of isrealites to remain in power, and Obama, being a Lyran, will get into some sort of telekenetic death stare contest with each other...there can be only one.

incidently...about the Obama fumbling without teleprompters..tell that to Hillary or McCain where he wiped the floor with em consistantly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join