It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the European Union is so quiet about this ? Warning: GRAPHIC

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

you are right I am meat eater, but still our cows arn't being killed by beings stabed multiple times or hammered dead. Our meat is killed instantly.

I maybe hypocriticle but my compasion tells me NO and my food habit tells me STFU.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
So because I eat meat I should condone this? How any intelligent person can rationalize or condone something this barbaric is completely beyond me. Sickening. It amazes me how uncompassionate and ignorant people can be in their justifications to eat something.

If you want to be even more horrified, search on YouTube for China's dog and cat cruelty. It is way worse than this video. Many of them believe the meat is sweetest when the animal has suffered to the extreme before being killed. Many of the dogs and cats that are killed are former pets that were abandoned.

There is no hope for mankind.

"Man is the cruelest animal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I like to eat animals but I am not a Mammal eater. I eat fish and poultry mostly. I think Mammals are just too smart to eat. As for Dolphins the behavior they display here makes me think that they are conscious beings.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by GoodFella
IMO if you eat meat of any kind you have no right to protest agains this.
Why is it ok to slaughter cows, chickens, pigs etc., but not whales?

By eating meat you are supportive of animal slaughter (and i say this as a meat eater).

Do you think the Native Americans hated the Buffalo?

You can eat meat and respect nature, by keeping things in balance.
You can respect the animal kingdom and still hunt in it.
Most of the indigenous peoples of the world have done so for quite some time.
"Civilized" man was the wasteful and cruel one.

- Lee

The Native Americans hunted the buffalo, and other species, since their arrival in the new world to near extinction. Archaeologists even made jokes saying they had "stone weapons of mass destruction".

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

But almost all the murdered people are foreign & live in far away countries. I couldn't care less about them. They had their choice and their choice was to reject benevolent colonialism and revert to barbarism.

And who misses them ? No-one really.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

Am I an idiot for speaking the truth?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Actually, the way that animals are raised in factory farms is probably more cruel than this slaughter. Those huge fishing nets that that are wiping out the world's ocean fish probably kill more dolphins than are killed in this hunt.

Still, in this modern era, it is recognized that dolphins and whales are very intelligent species, and it seems very wrong to kill such an intelligent creature.

I can see the reasons they continue on with this event, the connection of life to the cruelty of the world, of survival and natural selection. People live in such cocoons, away from the cruel realities of life that they think they can so easily pass judgment. Growing crops means less habitat for animals, so ever vegetarians wind up killing.

Just one hundred years ago, children raised the animals that they then killed to serve on the dinner table and eat. Today, we are all completely disconnected from this very important process to our survival. This separation from the reality of how we survive, as animals, because we are still animals at a certain level, leaves much to be desired in our understanding of the realities of this world.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

Is it any more unethical for the Danes than say Santarians or Voudons who use animal sacrifice for their rituals? Animal Sacrifice used to be part of all the large mainstream religions too.

Even though this is a ritualized Social practice, and not an actual Religious practice, doesn't negate that in some cultures this is part of their heritage and a noble deed in their culture's eyes.

I am an initiated priest of Santeria, and as well, I have a Voudoun ceremony refered to as lave' tete.

Animal sacrifice in both Africa and the Diaspora is not the random brutalization of animals, nor is it a rite of passage. Sacrifice is a term that means TO MAKE sacred. The animals are sacrificed humanely much the same as the Kosher or Halal way. We offer the blood to the spirits and we eat the meat ourselves. I have never heard of any Africans ever whaling.

We also do not sacrifice or kill slaughter animals that are said to be intelligent: Primates, Elephants, and oddly enough parrots. Now, you might say where are these animals in the Carribean, but remember the religions come from Africa

I suppose many of the atheists in here will just hem and haw about religion, but I understand. Not many people can disassociate religion from the Abrahamaic religions. But it's Ok. There will probably be people that say it's hypocritical. That's OK too.

Whales and Dolphins are indeed intelligent, but the important thing here is that Whales and Dolphins do not reproduce easily or often. They only have calves every 2 or three years.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
thank you for making us aware of this. but that only gets us so far. not many things make me nauseous but this does. i feel so sick right now.

we need to figure out how to get something done. or just inform peta and other activist groups

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts

I'd eat my neighbor's new kitten in front of her if it would get her to shut up about how cute it is.

HAHAHAAHAHAH.

You have just gave me my days worth of insane laughter.

A little A1 on that kitty and its good as steak.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Originally posted by lee anoma

Do you think the Native Americans hated the Buffalo?

You can eat meat and respect nature, by keeping things in balance.
You can respect the animal kingdom and still hunt in it.
Most of the indigenous peoples of the world have done so for quite some time.
"Civilized" man was the wasteful and cruel one.

- Lee

The Native Americans hunted the buffalo, and other species, since their arrival in the new world to near extinction. Archaeologists even made jokes saying they had "stone weapons of mass destruction".

I'm afraid in terms of the buffalo it is not that simple and disingenuous to blame the Natives when there were a myriad of factors involved.

It was the onset of the arrival of the settlers, which brought with them the gun and eventually the market for Buffalo, plus the need for cattle ranching that pushed them to extinction. There is no evidence that the Natives solely hunted them to near extinction since the numbers severely decreased after the settlements began. Before this, many early settlers documented how numerous the Buffalo were.

Guns made it easier for the Natives to hunt the Buffalo, which also added to the decline, but it was the growing industrialization that decimated their numbers. Many companies employed people to exterminate buffalo or various reasons (like for blocking railroads) and also tanneries started up that massed produced leathers from Buffalo hides and inspired hunters to flood the areas to make a quick profit. Thousands of hides were easily shipped.

In just seven years the numbers decreased dramatically and by the millions during the late 1800's after the market emerged earlier.

Some scholars believe that the extermination of the Buffalo was also a direct result of the plan by the U.S. government to destroy the Natives/resistance.

Although the army was plagued by strategic failures, the near extermination of the American bison during the 1870s helped to mask the military's poor performance. By stripping many Indians of their available resources, the slaughter of the buffalo severely reduced the Indians' capacity to continue an armed struggle against the United States.

The military's role in this matter is difficult to asses. Sheridan and Sherman recognized that eliminating the buffalo severely reduced the Indians' capacity to continue an armed struggle against the United States. The editors of the Army and Navy Journal supported the proposition, comparing such an effort with Civil War campaigns against Confederate supplies and food sources.

- The Military and United States Indian Policy, 1865-1903, by Robert Wooster

Regardless the point I was making was that most indigenous peoples respected and revered the animals they hunted as opposed to what people are claiming these particular individuals are doing.

There is a difference, and not all omnivores are blood thirsty, inconsiderate savages.
You can respect and animal you hunt for survival. You must.

In terms of the Natives, they utilized every part of the buffalo, sometimes down to the marrow. Losing such a valuable and respected resource was not an option and would mean their inevitable doom.

Stone weapons weren't the problem.

- Lee

Edit-grammar

[edit on 24-6-2009 by lee anoma]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well first, let me say that it was very interesting to see the types of replies in this thread. The thought processes of some people amaze me.

It seems from what I've read that these people use every part, or just about every part, of the animals. No waste no problem? As already stated, they feed the WHOLE community with the meat gathered from these. That is pretty significant.

I didn't get to see the video, but from the pictures... doesn't at all look like they are torturing the animals. They look like they are doing what they have to do to put it down. The throats on every whale lined up in a few pictures were cut. Most likely they know how to hit major arteries of the animal, which would make death for it pretty quick.

Regardless of the coming of age/tradition thing, this is probably something that has been developed for survival. Which, I'm sure, in years past was the main reason for the cultivation of this tradition.

I also have one question for people hating on this practice because they themselves are vegetarians and would never kill anything "conscious" or "intelligent":

Are we naive enough to think that plants do not have intelligence and consciousness too?

I point you here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here: video.google.com...

EVERYTHING we eat is a life taken in one way or another. Along with any other carnivore, omnivore, and HERBivore on this planet.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by free2live]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by New Lanark Boy
reply to post by metaldemon2000

But almost all the murdered people are foreign & live in far away countries. I couldn't care less about them. They had their choice and their choice was to reject benevolent colonialism and revert to barbarism.

And who misses them ? No-one really.

You got to be trolling...
Beside that, these are not dolphin but pilot whale.

Another Faroese specialty is Grind og spik, pilot whale meat and blubber. (A parallel meat/fat dish made with offal is garnatálg). Well into the last century meat and blubber from the pilot whale meant food for a long time.

If they eat it, why should I care.
Also look at wikipedia article on the subject

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is really sick ,as you say many dolphins approach humans as though recognising a fellow intelligent mammalian,who could do such a thing to these incredible creatures?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by free2live

I agree. People may think it barbaric, but they are killing those pilot whales for food for their communities, not commercial fishing. In fact in 1985 they banned the use of spears and harpoons as an cruel way to kill them. There are numerous regulations that they follow, they try and kill the whale as fast as possible, if you will, killing them in the most humane way possible.

They as a society have been doing this for close to 1,000 years, it's part of their culture, as shocking as many here may find it. The pilot whales are numerous and the actual amount of the kills (around 1,000), don't make a real dent in the population.

Different societies have different cultures. As others here have said, it's hypocrisy at it's worst that people are all up in arms about this but not the way we raise our meat and poultry in general. At lease the Faroese are trying to kill their food in the most humane way they can, can you say the same about your chicken breast or steak?

[edit on 24-6-2009 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
maybe the dolphins should quit going near Denmark then...
but seriously, that's *SNIP* up.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is NOTHING comparable to the slaughter of chockens, cows, pigs, and other animals DOMESTICATED for this purpose. Whales and dolphins are wild critters, and are important to the overall biology/balance of life in the oceans. Many species are endangered.

Domestic livestock breed in numbers that sustain their kind despite being food animals for humans. Dolphins and whales, however, do not, and cannot keep their populations stable when humans are slaughtering them on this sort of scale.

I could care less about the arguements of "culture" and "tradition". Those arguments are part of the reason a alot of barbaric/inhuman BS still occurrs in the world. Here's a list of "cultural traditions" in the world's history that, at least in CIVILIZED countries, are no longer practiced, even outlawed.

Slavery
Infantcide
Child Sacrifice
Mass Murder of all Foreign Persons
Public Torture and Execution for Speaking One's Mind or Holding Odd beliefs
Human Sacrifice
Legally sanctioned spousal abuse
Incest and marriage to very close relatives
Legally sanctioned rape
Execution or abuse of adulterers, fornicators, and blasphemers
Cannibalism
Pedophilia

Just for starters.

So spare me the crap of "it's cultural".

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just because an animal is killed humanely, it doesn't mean that we have any right to kill the animal.

Any of you have a pet and eat meat? Someone explain that?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella

Killing an animal is killing an animal. It doesnt matter if it's a bullet to the head or a knife to the throat.

Given the choice Mr. Goodfella, how would you prefer to die?

A Bullet in the head, or a nice slow beheading? Or blunt force trauma?

I thought so.

Now, I could care less about the entire argument I just found this one sentence completely out of whack.

Because there is a difference between killing an animal with a bullet or knife to the throat. One is quick and relatively (for all we know painless, or very little pain). The other is much more painful, cause it takes longer. So theres the difference..., even for an animal.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You people are so unbelievably stupid you shouldn't be on this forum.
THEY ARE NOT DOLPHINS

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join