learn more

Why the European Union is so quiet about this ? Warning: GRAPHIC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+41 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why the European Union is so quiet about this ?

Look at what i received in my email last week, tittled as above...

Its specially upsetting and can be extremely painful if you combine it with some documentaries on our planet like HOME and plenty more...

dear ATS forgive me for posting this but i felt it as being a duty of mine to to so...

Here it goes as i received it:

START OF EMAIL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the European Union
is so quiet about this ?
Where is Green Peace,
who make so much noise in other countries....
This happens only in uncivilized Denmark
files.abovetopsecret.com...

DENMARK: WHAT A SHAME, A SAD SCENE.
THIS MAIL HAS TO BE CIRCULATED.
THERE IS NO WORSE BEAST THAN MAN!!!!

While it may seem incredible, even today this custom continues, in Dantesque, - in the Faroe Islands, ( Denmark ) . A country supposedly 'civilized' and an EU country at that. For many people this attack to life is unknown - a custom to 'show' entering adulthood.
It is absolutely atrocious.
No one does anything to prevent this barbarism being committed against
the Calderon, an intelligent dolphin that is placid and approaches humans out of friendliness.

Make this atrocity known
and hopefully stopped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
END OF EMAIL

I don't have the emotional strength to comment, neither words to express my pain and disappointment.

All i have is tears and sorrow.

Save the PLANET.

PLEASE...

I am doing as best i can...

THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IS GRAPHIC WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK & DISCRETION...

Can ATS make a difference? Lets Hope So.

[edit on 24/6/2009 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't know the originator of the message.
I do not have ANYTHING against Denmark...
Other than the above... atrocity...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Are these dolphins stranded and the people instead of helping them are killing them

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by scoopyjon
Are these dolphins stranded and the people instead of helping them are killing them

They are purposely rounded up and killed.
Barbaric, indeed...very saddening..

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
OMG that is horrible! Those poor Dolphins
Where is PETA now huh? Oh wait they are too worried about a damn fly in the White House mean time these poor things are being slaughtered for no apparent reason!

Save the dolphins! I am saddened by these pictures. Why would they being doing this??? I cant think of any valid reason for killing all these animals. Look at the water! It's horrible!

S&F

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The coastline scarlet with blood, Faroe Island locals take part in a brutal annual whaling event. A tradition that dates as far back as the 10th century, locals in the autonomous province of Denmark slaughter and eat indigenous pilot whales every year. More than 180 of the animals were slaughtered in the town of Hvalvik's annual event this year, called 'grindadráp', which translates literally as 'grind', locally as 'pilot whale kill'.

The meat from the mass slaughter is not sold, rather divided among the community where it has been part of their diet for over 1,000 years. The tradition, which also exists in Iceland, has long been criticised by animal rights campaigners, who have called it cruel and unnecessary. But local whalers claim that outsiders are ignorant of the catch methods and economic significance of the tradition.

Daily Mail

Here's the News Article on it.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by GreenGlassDoor]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Considering this is a country where it is still not only legal to harvest (meaning "club) baby seals for their fur, but an acceptable career option, this doesn't surprise me.

However, for the fact that it is a "Coming of Age" Ritual puts it into a different perspective.

Is it any more unethical for the Danes than say Santarians or Voudons who use animal sacrifice for their rituals? Animal Sacrifice used to be part of all the large mainstream religions too.

Even though this is a ritualized Social practice, and not an actual Religious practice, doesn't negate that in some cultures this is part of their heritage and a noble deed in their culture's eyes.

And at a point in time, during the history of Denmark, I could see how this would be a useful "Coming of Age" ritual when a young man would show his worth as a whaler by making his first kill. In the U.S. we have similar practices with a young man's first deer kill.

The EU has no more right telling the Danes that they can't do this than they do dictating what religions its members should accept.

However, that isn't to say that this "Coming of Age" practice isn't outdated and now delves deep into the realm of being unethical because of the size of Denmark's population. It would be different if it were a community with a small handful of young men performing this ceremony, compared to larger ones with hundreds or thousands performing this ceremony.

Ultimately, the best way to change Denmark's annual practice would be through purely Social change. As one young man after another in Denmark denounces the "Coming of Age" rite as barbaric and refuses to participate, it will eventually be replaced by another "Coming of Age" rite that is less barbaric to the Danes. However, that is something that can't be forced on them, but one they must come to on their own.

(Of course, if this mammal becomes an endangered species, especially because of this practice, then it does become an issue that the EU and the rest of the world would have every right interfering in.)

However, thank you for posting this. I never knew that this went on. It is indeed shocking and quite sad.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Yes this is very awful to see
it's an insane brutal slaughter!

Must be their Viking genes!

+75 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
IMO if you eat meat of any kind you have no right to protest agains this.
Why is it ok to slaughter cows, chickens, pigs etc., but not whales?

By eating meat you are supportive of animal slaughter (and i say this as a meat eater).

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Insane slaughter! This is the 21st Century, not the 11th!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I guess the question is, do they eat what they kill or do they kill just for the "sport" of it?

Think of all the sheep, cows, chickens and what all killed for food. To me it seems a very long time custom to the area. Albeit an unusual one to an outsider. No one seems to morn the loss of new trees that never had a chance to grow at our annual black walnut festival.

While a traditional kill/feast may seem barbaric, it is still food. I am more aghast that bullfighting is still ongoing. While a traditional sport and show of manhood, torturing an animal to death in a spectacle extravaganza is not the same thing as an annual kill/feast.

--my 2 cents anyways.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Dolphins have saved humans from being killed (eg. www.msnbc.msn.com... ).

Aren't they also one of the more intelligent mammals?

Seems kind of pointless to kill so many of them for no reason. Especially if they approach out of friendliness and curiosity..... Is that like a sport for them, killing helpless things? That definitely doesn't earn my respect.

Maybe they can hang out with some of those American kids we throw in jail for torturing and mutilating cats for fun. They apparently have a lot in common.

Edit: Oh, they're whales? Who cares about whales

Still barbaric though

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You know whats sad, I live in norway and I saw a flyer for an ice cream truck that comes around here.. they dont serve soft serve ice cream...no but what they do sell is whale meat! I have the ad I scanned it. You know it sickens me, that whales are on the verge of extinction and IGNORANT EUROPEANS are still doing this poo for a buck. We, americans do more to save the world than any other nation, I'm sure. We get backlash from every country about being stupid and fat, but when Denmark depletes the ocean of whales and causes mass extinction, its another day.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by awdbawl]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Aren't they also one of the more intelligent mammals?

they approach out of friendliness

i think you answered your own question there!!
clearly not all that intelligent if they think they can approach man out of friendliness.

people eat just about every other type of life that they can....that's what we do, that's why there are so many of us.

i really don't see the horror in this.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodFella

Absolutely true. The only difference between this practice and the rest of the world's animal slaughter is that this is out in the open for all to see. But this is not different at all from other types of animals at much larger amounts used for meat. Out of sight out of mind.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by awdbawl
We, americans do more to save the world than any other nation

except the gluttonous use of fossil fuels, the horrible carbon emissions, the clearances of rain forests for the sake of a cheap burger and the ridiculously low level of recycling......other than that, savin' the world dude.

what exactly do americans do, as a nation?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That is awful!!! I'm shocked. You'd think I'd have learned by now what the word graphic means, I so din't need to see that. So very sad...

Flag you for spreading the word

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella
IMO if you eat meat of any kind you have no right to protest agains this.
Why is it ok to slaughter cows, chickens, pigs etc., but not whales?

By eating meat you are supportive of animal slaughter (and i say this as a meat eater).

OH give it a rest will you? There are perfectly humane ways of killing cows, chickens and pigs. Killing animals in the way most mainstream corporate food companies do is evil. I agree. But there is a proper way to kill an animal and use it for food.

This dolphin slaughter is cruel and evil. A coming of age? Gimme a *SNIP( break. This is the 21st century. Time to move on. A bunch of young idiots hitting dolphins in the head with metal spikes does not make me think of manhood. They are evil cowards. Why don't they hang themselves by spikes in their skin or go on some journey in the woods to prove themselves men. Anyone who condones this crap is evil.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Do you really think they are going to eat those hundreds of whales they kill? I mean come on people. That's pure gluttony and evil of the highest order. If you can kill a defenseless dolphin with blunt trauma to the head who's to say you wouldn't be able to do the same thing to a human being. Pathetic. I'd like to take one of those metal hooks to some of those so called "men". Poo pisses me off like nothing else!

And you wonder why intelligent life doesn't want to make its presence known to us "humans".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join