It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians Revolt - Latest News

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
there is so much info coming out of twitter at the moment you just dont know what to believe. im gonna give it a few hours and see what happens otherwise im gonna be on twitter all day when its sunny out side

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Got it live I think.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Edit: At least it was a moment ago, I ll keep an eye on it.

[edit on 15/6/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Let me make sure I understand you here. For years you have ridiculed and attacked my country for it's intervention in Iraq, yet now you attack my country for NOT intervening in Iran?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Let me make sure I understand you here. For years you have ridiculed and attacked my country for it's intervention in Iraq, yet now you attack my country for NOT intervening in Iran?

To some, it is always America's fault.

Anyway, I don't think it is is the US (or Israel's) best interest to get involved in any overt manner. Any action taken by outside forces against Iran will cause the Iranian people to pull together behind their government. The best thing for those hoping for a change in direction for Iran can do now is let this all unfold organically.

We have known for quite some time that there was a sizable group of Iranian citizens who favored a move toward democracy. We are now seeing tangible proof of that.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That sounds like when the Iraqi military joined the public protests and the Kurds in rising up against Hussein after the 1991 Gulf War. If the US did set this mess up they need to man up and finish the job this time. Screw it up like they did with leaving Hussein in office and it will be a thousand times worse, maybe a million. They are REALLY going to clamp down on the Iranian people now.
Glad to see someone else sees the fact that Arabs are being used in this mess to supress the Persians, a lot of people do not know the difference.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

They don't have open access. Iran strictly limits access of foreign reporters to the country and blocks transmission waves. Amanpour is considered a dual citizen, her father is Iranian, so she is an exception but detaining reporters during crises like this is nothing new. I would not be surprised if reporters from lower profile media outlets havde been detained right along with the blogging crowd.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The civil protests going on right now in Iran are a testament to the 2nd amendment. Americans better be thankful we still have the right to bear arms. It makes our government think twice if anything.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

Bitch and blog doesn't seem as effective as street fighting but no one gets shot for doing it. Live another day and you can continue the fight, getting killed only works if you can be turned into a martyr and that doesn't happen very often.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
I don't think it is is the US (or Israel's) best interest to get involved in any overt manner. Any action taken by outside forces against Iran will cause the Iranian people to pull together behind their government. The best thing for those hoping for a change in direction for Iran can do now is let this all unfold organically.

We have known for quite some time that there was a sizable group of Iranian citizens who favored a move toward democracy. We are now seeing tangible proof of that.

I don't disagree with your views. Unfortunately the major powers, generally for self-serving reasons, have seen fit to bolster populist movements in some places or assist the thugs in power maintaining their control in others.

When a country has a regime wanting to maintain it's position permanently, it makes sure it has full control of military. It does everything to destroy dissent including mass murder. We had this with Mousavi in the 80s.

There may be a movement in Iran but it lacks leadership, access to weapons, funding, communication. And critically it lacks the sympathy of the military. So still a long way to go before the mullahs are really threatened.

Will Khameini do a rethink in light of this week's activities. My bet is he will make some cosmetic changes. But every attempt will be made to ensure that dissent is squashed.

All we know for sure is that some Iranians have had a brief taste of Freedom and change is in the wind.

Mike

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

True the western media do not have a free reign over in Iran,but there are some reporters there,and maybe the media could give us a more detailed picture of events if they just phoned up friends and contacts.

Are flights still leaving Tehran?Theres another possible information source-to interview those Iranians flying to the west.

It just seems they are devoting very little time to the Iranian situation at a time when very big events are taking place.

Sky news seem to be devoting as much time to the story about a puppy getting flushed down the toilet(don't worry,it survived).
And of course to Madonna's latest African baby purchase...Sigh.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
uhh oh.....could Israel be thinking this is perfect, we can help bring freedom to those poor Iranians who got robbed of there vote.. they will greet us with open arms.....and at the same time remove this threat...
I say yea right! just like Iraq greeted the US and 6 years later.....yea .....just a thought

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

That can't do it. They risk getting shot at this point, repressive regimes are famous for doing that, especially if they are caught intercepting people at an airport which I'm guessing is more heavily guarded right now than any military base over there. Even if they could, it is very hard at this point to get transmissions out, they are jamming the airwaves. We will have to wait and see what the fallout is. Is anyone on here a shortwave radio operator? I'm sure there are a few there, members of a club I used to know talked pretty regularly with some Russians and that is close enough to where they may have access to info we don't.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Yeah,the short wave angle would be good to try somehow.
On the airports thing I was thinking more of interviewing those who managed to get out of Iran-in western airports...but I don't even know if flights are being allowed in and out of Iran at the moment.
Maybe only regime supporters are allowed to leave Iran at the moment?

The more I read about Mousavi,the more I think his supporters may have a fantasy view of him as the saviour of the country,when according to some posters here like Manouche hes been responsible for the deaths of many dissidents when he was PM.
I know he was running as a supposed moderate,claiming to be in favour of womens rights and less heavy handed moral policing,but on the big issues like Israel and the nuclear question the guys pretty much on the same page as Amadinerjhad.
He could be working with the Ayotollahs in order to draw out and indentify the protesters.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Arab speaking cops? Oh come on, the Iranians despise the Arabs.

They get fired up and have protests every once in a while, then things calm down.

If there is TRULY a complete communication block (not just a couple of webpages) I would like to see the sources. I think it probably isn't nearly the big deal that it is being made out to be. Sure some will get arrested but this isn't going to turn into a real revolution, the people are not suffering that bad just because they can't get their MTV.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Apparently the shots are starting to be fired according to Twitter that is, but BBC may have backed this up.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Apparently the shots are starting to be fired according to Twitter that is, but BBC may have backed this up.

This is a spontaneous protest, and one that was actually anticipated by TPTB. More a letting off steam than an organized populist revolt. Inevitably the scale will be magnified by the media. Video of people getting clubbed is more immediate and melodramatic than an organized meeting or demonstration.

But the message and memory will not fully dissipate even after the crowds dispers.

The youth of Iran are not happy about how their county is being run. It looks now as if an election was rigged. The regime has taken a self-defensive position.

Whether this ends up as just a mass public disturbance or the genesis of an alternative political movement remains to be seen. We'll find out how committed the new generation in Iran really is.

It's out of our hands and should remain that way. Hopefully we've at least learned that.

Mike

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
A couple new videos posted on Liveleak. I didn't see them posted anywhere else on ATS.

Congrats to these people! The people of Iran are great people. I hope they can reign in their government.

www.liveleak.com...

www.liveleak.com...

I just stopped back to get an update on how things were going and had missed watching the second video of the protesters helping the police officer. If the major news organizations want to follow a story it should be this one. Showing the altruistic side of a people would go a lot further in the eyes of the world and garner more sympathy to their aims than showing burning tires and smashed windows. There is a lot of misunderstanding in the world about just who the Iranian people are...all we hear about is the vitriol spewed by their various leaders. We are all human after all, regardless of where we live.

An interesting side-note (maybe a bad choice of words here) that caught my attention was the reporting about the number of people in Iran that were under the age of 30. Too often we forget history but there was an extremely violent 8 year war between Iraq and Iran in the 1980's with estimates of 1 million casualties in Iran. To me that would just about wipe out an entire generation and explain the youth of the nation. These people have been through a lot and deserve much better.

The Iran–Iraq War was extremely costly in lives and material, one of the deadliest wars since World War II. Both countries were devastated by the war's effect. It cost Iran an estimated 1 million casualties, killed or wounded, and Iranians continue to suffer and die as a consequence of Iraq's use of chemical weapons. Iraqi casualties are estimated at 250,000-500,000 killed or wounded. Thousands of civilians died on both sides from air raids and missiles.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 15-6-2009 by zlots331]

[edit on 15-6-2009 by zlots331]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This in a way should show us things like how the governments can shut down the cell towers and probably just about anything they want on us so we can't communicate, and this is something we all need to consider.

I give the people credit for standing up and trying to fight for the better in there neck of the woods.

We can only hope the truth comes out.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Shootings have now been heard in at least three districts of northern Tehran, residents tell Reuters. BNO on twitter

update 7 minutes ago.

hope it stops before it gets real bad.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
funny how iranians hit the streets like 5 minutes after the election results

and americans sat by and just took it in the ass when it happened here in 2004. americans are so soft there will never be a revolution here cause everyone is too scared to do anything

i guess americans like taking it in the ass for 8 years

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join