It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
reply to post by seataka

Like i said unless you are willing to throw away all your teach then your words mean nothing.

Its easy to say you want to do something but its total different to do it.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Alien Mind]

Lets see, the OP is about Watching too much television and playing games on the computer...

So your argument is fallacious, ie, using the Straw Man technique..

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[1] [2] Presenting and refuting a weakened form of an opponent's argument can be a part of a valid argument. For example, one can argue that the opposing position implies that at least one of two other statements - both being presumably easier to refute than the original position - must be true. If one refutes both of these weaker propositions, the refutation is valid and does not fit the above definition of a "straw man" argument.

that i choose to use the computer as an interactive communications device is quite different than using it for mind numbing, and thought stopping.

Perhaps the OP should be upbraided for using a computer and thus being per your fallacious argument, a hypocrite?

Flawed logic is contagious.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by seataka]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If I were a parent I´d also restrict video-games, TV and Internet, so that they dont become the uncreative morons this world is full of. But I would not get rid of it entirely and allow a movie, some online-time and a video-game each once a week. Otherwise the pendulum will swing in the opposite direction and they`ll do it secretly or overdose on what was forbidden after they leave home.

So, congratulations on your decision, its a good one...but a bit too much for my taste.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
So now when you see your children hanging out with their friends and the group of friends get around to talking about the latest episode of "Heroes" your kid can look like a weirdo outcast Amish family who do not own a T.V. Way to go Mom! Applause!

Come on Mom! Do not tell me you have no concept of the word "Clique"?

Social hierarchy is not something that kids mimic it is something they invent. Fitting in is so VERY important to children.

Clothing indicates your social status or your wealth status in the hierarchy.

Popularity is also VERY important to children. NO kids wants to be the smelly kid or the kid who does not fit in.

Do you really think there is a "Cut off from modern means of entertainment" lunch table your children will be sitting at? All you are going to do is contribute in your child being picked last for kickball and getting a crappy horrible nickname.

Give back the T.V. and PlayStation. Put LIMITS on it.

Do your Job as a parent.

No way. These things don't matter in life.
there is obviously still a computer....you can get enough of that in any age.

Do you think it's a possibility that maybe these "outcast" kids will start bringing up other interesting things in conversation? besides the latest episode of family guy?
you seem to think that giving in to kid's wants is what makes them happy.
Later in life, when these kids have already learned how to start conversations where others can't, they'll be extremely popular.

We all know how meaningless the "cliques" in highschool end up being after graduation.
You seem to think it's of the utmost importance.
weird.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

She got up and saw that the movies were gone, and replaced by novels or books which normally have cool illustrations on their covers. Her curiousity of whether or not a novel could be cooler than watching a movie drew her to open the book and find out. That strategy worked apparently.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

God bless you. I wish my husband were like you. He has the tv on all the time. I don't think we'll have kids because I can see now how it would be and I would have no power to take control of the situation.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
First of all I understand the motivation behind your decision AD. But i'd like to express some reservations, from my personal experience as a child and mother.

Perhaps we could start by doing an analysis of the 2 different media: books and TV.
They both have the same function: tell a story. One is written and the other visual and auditive. I think we need a bit of both. Reading inspires creativity while images gives a better immersion and understanding of its creator. I dont know if you have read and watched "Dances with Wolves", there is a part where the american flag flew into the face of Kevin Costner and it was funny. But try expressing this comic moment in writing, quite difficult you agree?
TV and books give 2 different visions and perception and personally, I wouldnt deprive my daughter from experiencing both

There is bad content in books and TV alike, probably more on TV but still you see my point. I know books used to turn me into a zombie too, i used to read an awful lot and it was hard to get me to stop! I even fell into the occult because of books and I today regret having read so much about it.

Also we dont live in the times of our elders anymore. This is a digital world. It is dangerous to completely to deprive children of the technology they will eventually have to understand and live with.
I will take my father as an example, he graduated as an accountant way back then but couldnt find a job because he is so bad with computers.

As for video games, as someone else pointed out, it really broadens one's logic, analysis and gets players to think outside the box, and also improve skills such as observation and reflexes.

In brief I believe to raise better children, we must simply control what they are watching and playing. When they are in age of understanding, they will know what is good and bad.

Too many children end up hating their parents for denying them something then spent the rest of their lives doing exactly just that.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
S&F my friend, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! If more parents including myself would do this things might get better for our kids. As a matter of fact my daughter was up all night last night watching TV and I am mad. She waits till we are asleep then she stays up and she is only 12! I have had enough too.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Whilst this is not something I would do or ever recommend - I actually believe in moderation over complete denial - and that is practiced in my home with my daughter. I was raised in a home similar to your choices. It was not the best decision made for us (too many stories to tell).

I still think that only YOU know what is best for YOUR kids. And at the end of the day, everyone has different ways of parenting and I (nor can anyone else) tell you what is best for your kids. We can offer advice/suggestions, tell you stories of how we were raised or how we raise our kids, tell you to ask professionals, etc. But again, you know your kids and the way your family works - we do not.

So I commend you for being a parent who is genuinely concerned with the well being of her kids and who takes an active role in finding what is best for them!

[edit on 6/13/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
nice move, but don't blame your kids after school if they are put aside by their fellow little nazis ( all kids are nazis, and education gets them rid of it ) because they don't know who Oprah is.
Your intention is cool, but the repercussions for your kids are still to come. Soon they'll revolt against you and as soon as they will be able to do so they will go to their friends' homes to watch tv.
Remember that.

link   
Radical?
I think you did something WONDERFUL!

But yet, mom still has her computer...is this fair?

link   
Also to make my second point; since I already made my first on page

three, doesn't it seem a little ironic that you discussing the banishing of

technlogical devices in your house on your computer????? This seems

to be an extrememly backwards way of thinking, like the old phrase goes

whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If you'd like to truely

instate your new form of totalitarian household get rid of your technological

vices as well. Just a 2nd thought.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
S&F&BRAVO BRAVO!!!!! this has got to be one of if not THE most relevant thread i have seen here in my year on this site. if you throw out the tv you shrink your world down to the immediate surroundings. no more fear mongering. no more brain washing. good for you and blessed be your children!

you will love this video it is so insiteful!!

here is the url

www.youtube.com...

more should learn from you. i have met people that grew up without tv and they read and read their whole lives. brilliant minds

[edit on 13-6-2009 by just_another_yourself]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Exactly my point how can you talk about the banishing of the technology

in your house, when your still typing on the computer. Now that concept is

ABSOLUTELY RADICAL.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_another_yourself
good for you and blessed be your children!

you will love this video it is so insiteful!!

here is the url

www.youtube.com...

more should learn from you. i have met people that grew up without tv and they read and read their whole lives. brilliant minds

[edit on 13-6-2009 by just_another_yourself]

Yes bravo you did such a great job, but here watch this video

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Emphasis mine, original text HERE

The child that is confronted from early youth with all modern devices and gadgets of technology-the radio, the motor, the television set, the film--- is unwittingly conditioned to millions of associations, sounds, pictures, movements, in which he takes no part He has no need to think about them. They are too directly connected with his senses.

Modern technology teaches man to take for granted the world he is looking at; he takes no time to retreat and reflect. Technology lures him on, dropping him into its wheels and movements. No rest, no meditation, no reflection, no conversation-the senses are continually overloaded with stimuli. The child doesn't learn to question his world any more; the screen offers him answers-ready-made. Even his books offer him no human encounter-nobody reads to him; the screen people tell him their story in their way. Technical knowledge forced upon him in this way makes no demand that he think about what he sees and hears.

Conversation is becoming a lost art.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by seataka]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tmd111

Dang right, the problem with this entire thread apparently... how can one complain about technology on a technological device?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Popularity is also VERY important to children. NO kids wants to be the smelly kid or the kid who does not fit in.

Do you really think there is a "Cut off from modern means of entertainment" lunch table your children will be sitting at? All you are going to do is contribute in your child being picked last for kickball and getting a crappy horrible nickname.

Okay, so you've completely conformed to the new way of how our children should be molded into Disney/Xbox braindead creatures. Not surprising.

Forget all about children being productive, creative, and having a little bit of INDIVIDUALITY and IMAGINATION. We just want them to sit at the popular kids table where the boys have their pants hanging down to their knees and girls have "JUICY" tattooed on the back of their pants.

I guess I just forgot what was really important, hmmm.

Just because you don't watch television and play the latest violent game, that makes you the smelly stinky kid that no one wants to sit with huh? Well, I guess if you're bathing them properly and dressing them in clean clothes that isn't going to matter, since it's all about popularity right? Tell me, were you the Prom Queen at your high school? Sounds like it .....

Funny thing is, if more mothers did what she has done by giving away all of the tv and video games, that would become the popular thing to do. Then you would be agreeing with that, throwing away the TV, games, etc. Ms. Popular. Kids reading books, writing poetry, and even opening their textbooks and doing homework would become the thing to do.

15 Years after you graduate from school: Being able to communicate is important, reading books and filling your head with useful knowledge is important, being your own person is important, being the popular kid in class who worried about fitting into cliques all through school is NOT important.

You think that these kids will develop some mental issue with being the one who didn't do what was popular, because they knew they were doing what was right. Doubtful, your way of seeing things is why kids end up with anorexia, bulimia, and dumping a bottle of pills down their throat at 15, because they've been taught to worry about popularity instead of what really matters. Every little girl wants to be a Disney princess, then Hannah Montana, then she wants to be Angelina Jolie? These people are not the kind of idols our children need.

Doing what is popular is not always right and it amazes me to see the number of people who are incapable of understanding that.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seataka

Just a snip it from your post: The child doesn't learn to question his world any more; the screen offers him answers-ready-made.

Your saying this when we're all here asking questions on a technological

device, also the fact that this is a conspiracy site that favors looking

outside the box would be the 2nd reason your quote makes little sense

when presented in this venue.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I used to be in Real Estate. I worked hard, all the time. My Wife has a degree in Micro-Biology. She managed a lab not far from where we live. When she got pregnant with our first, the plan was to have the baby, take some time off, then use day care, and get back to work. After two months of staying home with the baby, the time had come to go back to work. Both of us drove to the day care center. I remember feeling very sad that day. For at least 8 hours at a time, someone else was going to take care of my child. We got to the Day care center. I didn't like it. I was visibly upset at the prospect of strangers watching my baby. I was late for work, and had to go.

When I got there, I started contemplating how we'd make it if I left and picked her up, never to return to work again. In fact I had almost summoned the courage to do just that when My wife called crying her eyes out. She said "I couldn't do it! I just grabbed her and ran!". That day she called her boss, quit her job and stayed home to raise her daughter, our precious little poo.

I could have supported them on my income, but I had no benefits. I left Real Estate, and returned to work at a Clinical Labratory in a local hospital. The pay is half of what I used to make. But the entire family has medical, dental, and vision insurance for free. It was enough.

Two years later, we have had our second child, my son. My wife still stays home to raise and teach them. She has taken up photography, first as a hobby, and is now working to make it a paying job. It's hard to make ends meet sometimes. But not usually. Once in a while things come up, that make it hard to enjoy life luxuries, but we are happy.

We don't have Cable TV. We've never had a gaming system probably never will. We of course have a computer for my wife's photo editing, and my hobby of making informative videos.

In the morning it's breakfast, books, and sometimes, a family walk. My daughter loves books, likes to color, likes to read us stories in her "baby language", enjoys counting things, loves birds, and thinks fish are the most funny thing on earth. She plays in the dirt while her little 4 month old brother watches every move she makes.

It's funny to me. I used to be so busy. I was more busy that anyone I ever knew. Even other Type-A business folks. I had money to make, advertising budgets, clients, legal jargon, bills at home, debts to pay, food to cook, clothes to wash, a dog to feed, a child to cloth. Everything in my life was a bill. For some reason I did not want to let go of that. I am glad I did.

The absence of Television got me thinking about kids in general. There is always a big problem with ADD or ADHD. I used to watch sesame street with my daughter. It hit me one day. Every character on that show has ADD. Fuzzy little puppets flailing around like they just snorted a line. No wonder our kids freak out. And it's not just that show either, a lot of childrens programming is incredibly overstimulating. Notice the use of Vibrant color in everything designed for a child. All designed to grab attention, just watch any commercial for a new toy. Go figure.

I guess the point is, all that crap my wife and I were "so busy" with, was just that, crap. We lived in a world of self induced stress, and personally manifested business. It didn't have to be that way and now, it won't.

We lost a little income, lost a lot of expensive distractions, and gained a comfortable loving home.

Good for you.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by aravoth]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
LOL I find this hilarious! Why did you ever allow this stuff to take over your life in the first place?

I know you just did what was in your mind the best thing for your kids, but you know, you just posted to an internet board.

Your kids are going to think that you're one of those, "Do as I say, not as I do" parents.

I am saying that even if you personally, didn't watch TV and play video games you obviously are online, right? What's the difference?

Your kids are watching you , honey. Don't think for one minute that they're not thinking too.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join