It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did a radical thing...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar1102

I also agree that allowing kids to become video game / internet junkies is a horrible way to raise your kids. As you mentioned it is very difficult to find that balance, especially the way parenting is heading in downward spiral these days.

I believe the real problem stems from the encouragement of the parents. How many times have you heard of a parent saying "It's raining, go play some video games or watch a movie" or "We're leaving in an hour, go check you're email"??

It almost seems like it's a parent's way of getting their kids out of their hair or a way to pacify them for some reason. THAT is what needs to change. Kids have a natural tendency to explore and learn and if that is being shunned to technology by the parents, then they are to blame.

Glad we agree on so much. There's no turning back the clock on technology. It's transformed our lives and liberated us from so much driudgery an lack of access to information.

That said, I think we also have seen a half century where technology provided entertainment has become more than just down time activity. It's become something that fills the free time of millions, in the process replacing necessary other needs.

Childhood and adolescence are the critical period when one's approach to life is shaped. Much of this understanding of oneself and the world has to come from direct experience. When we allow ourselves and our children to rely on simulated experience and viewpoints, rather than discovering them through the more painful and longer route, it can cause serious problems.

I think we've touche on what those problems can be. And there have been solutions offered.

Mike

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Home schooled?

That does explain A LOT, especially how they were able to adapt so easily to these "radical" changes and also why there was no uprising.

Personally I have a 52" Samsung 1080P HDTV with a PS3, and a Multimedia machine hooked up to the internet and the TV. I am able to watch lectures online, download audiobooks, read eBooks, and communicate with nearly the ENTIRE WORLD. I have found new ideas that has spurred new directions of thought and even learned a lot about myself, all because of technology.

Technology is a gift, it is a resource that is essential in today's society. Depriving anyone of it is not something to be proud of, nor is it something that should be encouraged as it creates a severe disadvantage to those who do not have access to it. I have worked in Education for many years and I have seen the effect of being deprived of such things and it's direct impact on real-world performance, social interactions, and learning.

I would suggest you re-acquire a TV and allow your children access to a Computer AT THE VERY LEAST. And instead of taking the easy way out and shunning "evil" technology, you might want to educate yourself and your children on the responsible usage of these tools and how to apply it successfully in their everyday life.

It is the mentality you, and others have expressed in regards to technology that will ultimately create conflict and hold back humanity from advancing. It is that mentality that will cost lives as progress is held back and it is the same mentality that fueled the dark ages of our world.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Much as I enjoy reading, and my collections of not so dusty books, I'll still keep my movies and videogames as well thank you.

I grew up on the NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Playstation, on up to the 360 , enjoyed movies like Ghostbusters as a kid, and still do as an adult.
the videogames never prvented me from getting outside, nor did the internet take over from boks for me, they still don't, vidiogames and movies are still an enjoyable pastime, much like hiking and swimming in, and some days, I just feel like reading a book. the internet is still though, a good source of news and exposure to other ideas and cultures, I seriously will admit I stopped reading newspapers now that I can get a more fuller, less biased picture online.

for the most part, it's great your kids read books, really, ut yeah, personally, I'll stick to my videogames and movies, and if I ever do have kids, long as it doesn't become the focus of their whole lives (unless one of them makes it big designing games), then i'll be playing videogames alongside them.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Gren]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Rockstar1102

why is it bad to detach kids from social groups that will not lead to success

there's more to being a kid than being prepped for someone elses' idea of 'success'

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I applaud you. That is the best thing you could do for your children.

There are many activities kids can do otu in nature such as nature walks, fruit & veggie farms, herbs picking around neighbourhoods, tree planting etc etc

I find given the right books children can learn alot more then they tell people out in the real world.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
You can't live life when you are being distracted away from it.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ok I see it this way they are her kids, is her choice and so one else has the right to say she is wrong.Same as when u make rules for your kids is your business and no one eles's.As for social comments who cares what some kid at school thinks of u just because u don't watch tv etc,means they not worth knowing if they judge u on what u watch etc and not on how u treat people in life.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

All I can say is. You did a very good thing.

A bit drastic but.. you did something very good for your kids.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Your kids will thank you when there all grown up and not zombified by MTV or the media.

Sadly when I was young I missed out on a LOT of my childhood by staying inside playing on the N64, watching too much TV and listening to corporate brainwashing music. Luckily when I was 18 I discovered Metal and developed my own opinions but I still cant help wondering what my life would be like had I discovered places like ATS when I was 15 (although ive ALWAYS been fascinated by the paranormal, watching fortean TV and Strange But True as a young lad.)

I just wish I had been given the push for freedom that you've given your children and shown there is a world outside the home, aside from the odd couple of hours playing in the fields my parents were quite protective and didnt really give me much headway in learning to adapt to life in the town. Luckily now Im not really a sociable person anyway so all I have in my room is a computer and bed (literally) and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
hey OP how is your experiment going?

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join