I did a radical thing...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just some summary comments from someone whose examined the TV vs no TV debate.

Parents who don't have TV in the home have told me their kids are better socialized, more active, get better grades, show leadership qualities, etc.

You can pick up media trivia but you can't learn how to be resourceful and self-sufficient by watching a PBS documentary.

Mike

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Right! Technology in all forms is such a GREAT tool for us if used right. Even if kids may not always use it as a parent would like, they are kids! Give them time to enjoy what kids are doing or they will resent you. It's like kids in countries where they are allowed to drink wine and are taugh how to responsibly. Here we tell kids it's the devil so when they get a hold of it they go nuts! Being a parent and making sure kids have a good balance to learn and enjoy life is my prefrence.

EDIT :: To the above poster - Of course those parent's told you their kids were better socialized etc., they are their kids.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Tmd111]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So... they cant have movies... or tv or video games....

but YOU can have your internet, youtube and all the movies games and TV you want? Seems quite unfair to me. Also, I hate when people make huge life decisions for other people. When I was young my mother dictated my life, as it seems you do and all I did was rebel after a while. The more you push, the more we push back. If you give them some leniency, they give it back to you. Its like living under our current government. They tell us what we can and cant do, they tell us what we have to pay them, or when we go to jail (time out for kids?) and we HATE it! Just take that analogy to heart before you do something like this. I'm not saying what you did is wrong or right, im just giving my opinion.

for being ballsy.

-Z-

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by seataka

Just a snip it from your post: The child doesn't learn to question his world any more; the screen offers him answers-ready-made.

Your saying this when we're all here asking questions on a technological

device, also the fact that this is a conspiracy site that favors looking

outside the box would be the 2nd reason your quote makes little sense

when presented in this venue.

That is unfortunate, as in your case my intent, to share the writings of a medical doctor who fought the nazi mind set, to entice folks to think, has evidently failed.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You can take away my television and video games, just don't take away my internet

I love reading books, something I got from my mother. I used to pick up the books she had lying around( Stephen King, Richard Matheson, mostly) and we would sit in a room or outside together, reading and cracking sunflower seeds. Then when we finished we would trade books.

I am currently reading 'Brave New World', can't put it down. I think I have two chapters left and I really don't want the book to end, but then I have 'Brave New World Revisited'.

I am a nanny, so I get my nature kick everyday with the kids. We take nature walks where we pick up sticks, leaves, stones, (etc.) and make art with them.

anyhow, good job and I'm very proud of the way your kids handled it.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That's a really great move! I stopped watching T.V about 2 years ago and it is amazing how much more free I feel. I came to the decision that I would no longer be spoonfed my "news" by corpoarate owned media networks and that I would reject social programming via meaningless T.V propaganda and would seek out my own truths. Ironically, I now know more about what is happening in the world than a lot of my friends who are glued to the box and my love of the outdoors, people, life and more has grown exponentially. I would definatly recommend throwing out the box and the games consoles and the radio just so people can see what it is like to have to seek out their own truths and experiences. Well Done! S and F for you!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Good for you, but to take it a step further and show that you aren't just talking the talk to them and that you yourself can become one with "real life" again now don't take this the wrong way but maybe stop your internet use eventually they are going to wonder why they aren't able to have all these things but you can still sit in front of your computer screen and have your good old modern entertainment.
If you're for real and really dislike the new world of entertainment then you should have no problem with ending the use of the internet, if you're a believer that modern entertainment takes away from the more important life events/ experiences then you are missing out on those things every second you are on your computer.

I personally think it's better to institute balance rather an all or nothing type of deal it teaches them at a young age how to manage and respect the "finer" things in life and will not make them have repressed needs and act out eventually to make up for all the things they feel left out of or were kept from experiencing often a child like that will later over compensate with things that can be much worse then video games and movies,I've worked with a lot of repressed youth and it isn't go even more so when they hit around 16.
Moderation and balance are some of the biggest keys to life, if you keep someone or yourself from enjoying certain things and never let them release that tension when they finally get to do it again they often become more submerged and obsessed with it before the restriction came into place, basic child psychology really.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If you need to shoot the mistress to get your husband back then does that mean he realised his mistake or did he settle?
I hope you get what I mean there.

I agree with TurkeyBurgers. You need to allow them their entertainment but limit the TV and computer times and encourage other activities.
Go camping, encourage exercise and more alternatives to the TV that they can enjoy, I usually find walks and little trips to places a winner at any age.
Encourage outdoor playing with friends.

I understand why you took such action but it may just mean they are doing things to get through the day and indeed may make them harder to be around as they cant partake in popular entertainment conversations.

Personally I would be more than happy to give up all this TV crap, computer games and go live like the Amish but I arent religious and arent in America.
I prefer peace and quiet and wouldnt mind living somewhere away from modern civilization to just enjoy nature and such.
Arent too many options for that though.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seataka

In this venue yes, it is null and void. Also I don't think this is the same type of propaganda someone scrutinizing the nazi regime might have been talking about.

If you would like a detailed record of when many devices we're discussing on this thread were invented I'll also get that for you, since many weren't around in nazi germany. Also as far as I know not every single family actually had a television set in the 1930's-40's, I actually believe very few did.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Why dont you just become Amish? You're kids are going to be so deprived of technology they WILL be considered the "weird kids".

Times have changed, and so has society. You are forcing your children into your views of what is right, but your views are completely out dated. Sorry to say that, but its true. This is the age of technology. All children should have access to it, and should be familiar with it. I think any child over ten should be able to use the internet because it provides much needed information. Information they would not learn from mommys home schooling, nor the books they read.

I would much rather have my children on the internet then outside smoking pot. If I were you I would be waiting to smell that smell within a few years at the rate your depriving your children.

If I would have been put in your childs situation, I would have never became a network engineer. I would have not been making 50,000$ a year by the time I was twenty one. Thanks for limiting your childs future in this technological age.

Times change. Society changes. This is no longer a paper book society. Actually, they are even trying to phase them out. Soon books will be read on electronic devices. What will you do then? But by the time they are old enough to actually use these devices they will have absolutely no knowlege of how to use them.

You are damning your children to a life of ignorance. They will be unable to engage in any conversation about electronic devices, computers, tv, movies, and so on. Might as well make them a leper.

Let them use it, just monitor their activity - but for gods sake dont totally remove them from the current times.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Exactly my point how can you talk about the banishing of the technology

in your house, when your still typing on the computer. Now that concept is

ABSOLUTELY RADICAL.

Unlike most television shows or Xbox games, the computer being used correctly is not just a source of entertainment. It's a research tool, a form of communication, and a way of educating ourselves. Not all of us play WOW for 18 hours a day, some of us attend online school and use the internet for productive purposes. We work at home on our computers, and have board meetings with employees in three different countries at one time. Teachers expect papers to be typed, MLA style, and we use our word processors for this. The computer has become a necessary device in work and school communication, which makes it a decent piece of technology, when used correctly. Most television and videos consoles prove to be useless sources of entertainment that provide nothing but a way to waste time.

How relevant is each piece of technology?

Here are your choices:
a. television
b. xbox, wii, playstation
c. computer with internet

Which one of these can you read an entire book on?

Have an intellectual conversation or debate?

Take an entire college course and recieve credit?

Find sheet music?

Have an international video conference call for work?

Write poetry and/or a book?

Find the best way to get rid of an annoying stain?

Learn about an illness and types of medicines?

Find 10,000 variations of your favorite recipe?

Keep in contact with old friends and family members all around the world?

Sell and advertise your homemade product, old clothes, etc. on?

Read a hundred different biographies on Robert E. Lee and a list of every battle of the Civil War with dates, locations, descriptions?

Ahem...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It's truly amazing how you make assumptions.
So many of you posted.."So how come Mom gets to keep the internet and movies and blah, blah blah?"
I'll say it ONE MORE TIME-
I DID NOT TAKE AWAY COMPUTER FROM ANYONE.
I sit with my kids and search up things on the net that interest them. It's something we do together.
I come here for information.
I don't watch movies on the computer..and I sure as hell don't play games on it.
All of you are entitled to your opinion..but I'm proud of my decision.
My kids are not arguing over who wants to watch what show, or who gets a turn on the Xbox. They are playing board games, or drawing, or reading, or going outside. And for gosh sakes where did I say I banned all modern electronic devices? My daughter has an IPOD..WTF?
This thread has turned into the old game of telephone..the more a story gets spread around the more distorted it becomes.
I strongly advise anyone else to please read my posts only before you reply.
There are far too many outlandish replies here and accusations that were assumed and posted by others that are unfounded.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

kept your computer though!!, poor kids, i am with you on what you have done, but i think that being able to mediate what they had may have been better, but still, kudos to you

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bronwyn82

I read the first few sentences of your post, answer this first they claimed computers were bad because information is easily accessible at the touch of a button, answers no longer have to be written out they can be told to you through "reasearch"(a.K.a. ask and you shall receive). That was what I was aiming at when being critical of computer technology you seemed to have missed my point, go back to my actuall posts not my replies, thanks.

P.S. numbers 2,4,5, and 10 could all be preformed on a gaming device, they all have internet and actually have better personal connectability toward communications between family and friends Xbox live chat for instance can accomodate more then enough people and more then likely more then you have in your entire family or friend directory. Music is a major part of all types of video game technology as well, if you think I'm joking try guitar hero's drums you wouldn't be able to play expert or hard for that matter on them if you couldn't play the real thing.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't think that was a good move. It's the parent's fault if the kids become "zombies" watching TV and playing video games. It's not good to abuse your parental rights like that but if the kids had nothing against it then it okay i guess..

I grew up playing video games. Video games are not just video games. Many video games stimulate the brain a lot too. They make you think like "How am I gonna get through that door... hmm.. I see a switch.. How will I activate it? I'll try pushing that pillar and maybe it'll fall over and onto that switch?" etc. I don't see how reading a book is different from playing an interesting game based on that same book.. The pre-rendered scenery doesn't stop my fantasy from working.. My hand and eye coordination gets a good workout.. The video games haven't affected my intelligence negatively. I've learned many interesting facts about the world from video games too. Video games are fun and good stress relievers after school. I finished the primary school with encomium* (* Dunno if it's the right word for this.
).

If your kid lacks interest in those parts of video games that I just named then it's again your fault. Video games or no video games, if your kid has no chances of becoming a rocket scientist who plays video games then taking them away isn't gonna change anything.
All you should do is maybe just limit their play time if they play too much..

[edit on 13/6/2009 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Blah Blah Blah to you too. You insisted that and I quote, "I gave it all away." you then said again, "ALL OF IT". Now not to be a stickler to typos or anything but that might make everyone whos reading the thread actually think that you got RID OF ALL OF IT. Before you go on bashing all the accusations on the thread maybe you should go back to page 1 and edit your original post because well everything... kind of means... well... everything.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
There is a good *BOOK* out there written in the '70's - "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" by Jerry Mander, an ex-ad executive...he spells it out pretty clearly how powerful a tool for control the idiot box is. I'd like to address one of the fairly common beliefs that good shows on TV are worth having one for: the TV is an advertising tool, PERIOD...the crap shows, the good shows and everything in between is nothing but bait to get you in position to be manipulated into buying a product. PBS endorses whatever corporation shells out to be associated with "high quality" PROGRAMMING...fancy that, Exxon Mobil sponsoring a program about global warming...it's absurd.

The comparison to the internet is weak, here's why: Internet is self-directed, if you play games and facebook and troll message boards or whatever, you are making your choices and what you put in you get out...TV is passive, and as someone else mentioned commerce and practical matters are dealt with online. I think I spend too much time on certain websites, (ATS) but not having TV is really quite wonderful if you can get past the idea that you simply cannot live without it, you can, and much better I think.

To the degree that you insist it is unthinkable to live without that form of control, is how deeply you are, indeed, controlled. Think about it.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Pilot]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Congratulations! Your decision to get rid of that stuff may be one of the best decisions you have ever made for your children and yourself.

I stopped watching TV a few years back. I still have some withdrawals, believe it or not, however, what I found is I live in a totally different reality than those who are TV watchers. I was and am still amazed at their "fantasy" world TV watchers live in. Its absolutely astounding.

Have fun and enjoy your freedom from TV!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What you deprive your kid of early, they dive themselves in late.

The Amish tried this very same thing you suggested, and now they are some of the most socially unprepared people in this country, the youth have not benefited from it, and as a people, they have not wrought any economic or social gains from practicing it.

It's all about moderation, kids need to learn to read, encouraged to read.
Yet they also need to understand technology and the evolution of Social interaction.

They can then mix in when it is socially beneficial and decouple when it is personally beneficial.

How do they know when to do either? Ahhhhaaaa!! That's where parenting comes in. wink wink

Moderation!! This is your chance to expose your child to everything they will come across in adult life and teach them how to manage it.

If you shut them off to these things, they will do it secretly and relish it when they are on their own, having no "training" in how to deal with it. That's when you create social misfits.

Again, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

reply to post by bronwyn82

P.S. numbers 2,4,5, and 10 could all be preformed on a gaming device, they all have internet and actually have better personal connectability toward communications between family and friends Xbox live chat for instance can accomodate more then enough people and more then likely more then you have in your entire family or friend directory. Music is a major part of all types of video game technology as well, if you think I'm joking try guitar hero's drums you wouldn't be able to play expert or hard for that matter on them if you couldn't play the real thing.

LoL, you make me giggle.

Have an intellectual conversation or debate? - About what? If Luigi or Mario is better?

Find sheet music? - So you're saying that you can actually get onto a gaming console, find the piano sheet music for Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, all 3 movements and print them out so you can go and practice? Wow. That amazes me.

Have an international video conference call for work? - People have gaming consoles in business conference rooms? They must be getting a lot of work done!

Keep in contact with old friends and family members all around the world? - Oh, stupid me, I forgot how into video games all of my family members over 40 are. They have a hard enough downloading the photo attachments in their email accounts, let alone going out and trying to figure out how to even conect a gaming console to the internet.

Guitar Hero, I've played that before, and I was really good at it. Amazing what years of practice on a REAL instrument can do for your rythym and coordination. I suggest that anyone who has a kid that plays Guitar Hero or Rock Band, to get them REAL music lessons on a REAL instrument. For as much time that you waste on that game, you could be playing in a real rock band and learning a useful skill. What's more romantic, being able to play the piano/guitar/sing for your lover or whippin' out the ole' Guitar Hero and showin' your mad skillz as a pretend rock star who has practiced his 5button routine over and over and over and over again.
---

[edit on 13-6-2009 by bronwyn82]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join