It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humdinger of a noise keeps neighbours up at night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

mysterious noise has a handful of residents in a Calgary neighbourhood losing sleep and patience, yet no one can find the source of the aggravating sound.

Dana Negrey, who lives in the northwest community of Ranchlands, said he has been bothered by the sound for almost a year.

'It doesn't go away. It's here all the time. You can't relax. You can't sleep.'
—Dana Negrey"It doesn't go away. It's here all the time. You can't relax. You can't sleep," he said. "It's also just the concept of driving home after work, and actually tensing up physically because you know when you walk through that door you can't relax."

Noise engineer Richard Patching detected the steady, faint tone during an interview in the neighbourhood with CBC News. He describes it as a kind of "hmmmmm."

"My machine picked it up. It's quite low, but it's definitely there," he said.

A CBC reporter heard the sound, but couldn't record it.

www.cbc.ca...

I heard this on CBC Radio, Canada's national government run radio news, and I took interest in the story as the sound engineer could not record the sound.

I was surprised although later I thought that the frequency could be VLF ELF harmonic.

I wonder what is causing this?

Is it an earthquake predictor? A volcano predictor?

Calgary, the city near the hum, is right beside the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

EDIT

More info:Many, many things have been attempted to locate & identify this sound, without success. Follow along at www.unidentifiednoiseincalgary.blogspot.com

the EMF levels are considerably higher than normal. This was, in fact, confirmed for them by Enmax. Unfortunately, Enmax has taken no definitive steps to address the problem.
www.unidentifiednoiseincalgary.blogspot.com...

Ok.

newsguy66 - At least the hum will drown out the voices in my head.........
-----------------------------------------

The guy who killed his family in Dalhousie lived close, just across Sarcee Trail NW. Maybe the hum can have an opposite effect - the 'voices' start chattering, then yelling. The guy had been complaining about being unable to sleep for a few weeks, which can make even an average person pyschotic. hmmm...
www.cbc.ca...

This is a weird observation by a Calgary Resident.
It sort of reminds me of the REM "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" is a song by the American alternative rock group R.E.M. from their 1994 album Monster. It was the first single taken from the album, released three weeks later. It peaked at number 21 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at number 9 on the UK Singles Chart. By its success and the band's like for the song, it was placed on R.E.M.'s Warner Bros. Records 'best of' compilation album In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988–2003 in 2003 and was the only track from Monster to feature on the compilation.

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?' is notable for being the first song in history to debut at number one on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

The title of the song is not original to the band, which guitarist Peter Buck explains in the liner notes to In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988–2003. It refers to an incident in New York City in 1986, where news anchor Dan Rather was spontaneously attacked by one or two assailants who, between beatings, would ask, "what's the frequency, Kenneth?"[3] (although the phrase Dan Rather says he actually heard was, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"). One of the assailants has been since identified as William Tager, who attacked Rather because he thought the media had taken control of him. Furthermore, in a 2001 Harper's article ("The frequency: Solving the riddle of the Dan Rather beating") this incident was tenuously linked by Paul Limbert Allman back to the late Postmodern literary giant Donald Barthelme's writings, which contained recurrences of a character named Kenneth and in the text “Kierkegaard Unfair to Schlegel” asks, "What is the frequency?" [4] The phrase "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" is also used in Daniel Clowes' surreal comic Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron; it is supposedly used as a formal greeting and a way to contact a mystical figure.
en.wikipedia.org...'s_the_Frequency,_Kenneth%3F

CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.
One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.
Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.
ask.yahoo.com...

So the Calgary resident is suggesting the noise drove this guy nuts and he lost it killing his family.

Weird strange news evolving with the REM story as cited above.
What's the frequency Kenneth? lol

I wonder if this lines up with the WEB BOT Alta thingy?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
s & f for creative use of the word "humdinger" in a post title

more noise...it's odd that people in different areas are hearing these things

could it be secret projects underground, or using airwaves?
what about invisible ufo's?

or space noise from energy waves ?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb
"could it be secret projects underground, or using airwaves?
what about invisible ufo's?"

My money is on something going on underground. These noises have been heard all over the place and eventually it just goes away. As soon as thier done digging that tunnel underneath that area the noise will stop.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Could this be the cause of the Earth's vibration frequency Rising?

There are similar cases in Mexico and I believe somewhere in Texas.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I am thinking two things concerning the noise.

1. Underground tranformers all resonating at the same frequency creating some ulf and having the sewer pipes pick it up and replicate the noise in much the same way a bass tube works.

2. Vocanic activity

I mentioned the Volcanoe idea to a geologist and she said unlikely.

Anyhow those are my two ideas.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Is it possible air traveling through the mountains are causing the hum?

Maybe a piece of rock or something eroded to such a point that it causes this hum as the wind blows over that particular point or area?

Edit: and to add maybe the mountains are set up just right that the sound waves travel to this particular area reflecting off other surfaces making it all that much more difficult to track down and the reason it's only heard in this area?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

That may be very true.

I read a post in the blog concerning the echo of trains in the Bow River Valley and how it creates a "electronic sounding" hum.

I wonder if they can identify the frequency and simply create a out of phase frequency to cancel the noise?

Unless of course the frequency is being caused by the earth and the montains in leu of some geological stress then I do not think you could create a out of phase frequency unless the frequency being emitted is constant.

I am trying to find any info on any updates.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by whiteraven]

new topics

top topics

join