It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's up with my Facebook

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Its tracking your surfing through cookies.
Flash objects.

www.macromedia.com...

You can change things here to disallow certain things.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84

Originally posted by blujay
I singed up for Facebook to reunite with old high school friends.
Then I realized I didn't like it. So, I went to the delete profile thingy...
When you say you want to unsubscribe, or whatever term they have for it, a bunch of your friends pictures pop up and they have a remark like,
' If you leave, you will not be able to talk to ... ' and all this crap to make you re-think your decision.

I know my decision, and I don't need Facebook to let me know. I think it's far more devious that it's made out to be.

But you do know even when you delete your profile, Facebook still keeps all your info a pictures. It states it in the terms and conditions. Also, if you "re-join" months later, your profile will come back as you left it, with all your pictures and friends still there.

Mikey

Well damn ... I figured as much, but I was so creeped out by the site itself, I had to RUN!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by AccessDenied

Canada is already in the G20, Bilderbergs, etc. but I truly hope the best for Canada!

Oh yes, Iam aware of that- I was refering to the Article in the thread link, about the Feds.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Yep, I know that..I deactivated my account for awhile. Time to stop all this nonsense.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyeyes
I'm not a computer whiz but there are things called "Tacking Cookies" that are attached to all websites, and will attach to your computer when you visit the site. I think that this is for sale opportunities. You can download Ad-Aware for free from the interenet and it will remove the cookies after a scan, but a good antivirus program should do the same thing.

or you can go on your webbrowser and click on tools, internet options and delete your browsing history and that includes the cookies.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Why oh why couldnt this post have started a few weeks ago. I just let my girlfriend talk me into joining that crazy thing and i likewise saw some people popping up on my suggestion for friends as was like WOW how does it know to put these people on there. How does it know i know these people. I thought it odd and kinda kewl. Never occured to me to be worried about privacy issues.
Thanks for this thread. i will be very watchful now on facebook.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Well, there is an ATS facebook group, and Google analytics are so good that if you mention ATS at all anywhere in your profile, you are likely to see links/names etc cropping up on your page, whether you've searched for them or not.

Thats the nature of the net these days. The crawlers and web bots really are that good, and the engines are optimised to deliver results very very quickly indeed.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I use Facebook for my school friends, nothing else. Quite often I'll log in and suggestions for adding friends will show up, usually because we went to the same school, or friend of a friend..etc. Well, tonight when I logged in.. I was shocked..
people I know from here on ATS were suggested as friends. These are people never been on my facebook, and not on my email list at all. I have not searched these people on facebook either, yet there they were.
So facebook is spying on my other activities online or what?
I'm freaked out.
I already changed my email and account name once before..perhaps it's time to close up shop there. I hate losing contact with all my friends though. I guess that is the bait on the hook.

Hi A.D/

I thought I was seeing things!
I guess the internet is ...............Into The NET!
wasn;t technology made for the better of mankind?
Dont get 'too freaked' if it isn't 'facebook' it HAS to be something else...
In the End,
Someone is always watching..
helen

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Well, there is an ATS facebook group, and Google analytics are so good that if you mention ATS at all anywhere in your profile, you are likely to see links/names etc cropping up on your page, whether you've searched for them or not.

Yes, if you are part of the ATS group on Facebook and only have a limited amount of friends, the "suggested friends" will start picking names from the ATS group.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Thats the nature of the net these days. The crawlers and web bots really are that good, and the engines are optimised to deliver results very very quickly indeed.

I was a member of the group, BUT left it..I decided it was best to keep my Facebook life (school friends) and ATS separate. I guess it matters not.
I actually just logged in and the suggested friend was someone whom I have no clue who they are..a foreign name, with foreign friends..like from Israel or a similar place.
I dunno...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I use Facebook for my school friends, nothing else. Quite often I'll log in and suggestions for adding friends will show up, usually because we went to the same school, or friend of a friend..etc. Well, tonight when I logged in.. I was shocked..
people I know from here on ATS were suggested as friends. These are people never been on my facebook, and not on my email list at all. I have not searched these people on facebook either, yet there they were.
So facebook is spying on my other activities online or what?
I'm freaked out.
I already changed my email and account name once before..perhaps it's time to close up shop there. I hate losing contact with all my friends though. I guess that is the bait on the hook.

Hi A.D/

I thought I was seeing things!
I guess the internet is ...............Into The NET!
wasn;t technology made for the better of mankind?
Dont get 'too freaked' if it isn't 'facebook' it HAS to be something else...
In the End,
Someone is always watching..
helen

Helen you are so correct. Too often we/and I forget that very fact. I suppose it is the conspiracy theorist side of me coming out. To others it would be like ..oh yeah hey cool..I'll add that person so I can brag how many friends I have on facebook. I'm so careful about not giving out certain types of information, and other ways..it just eludes me. I never do online banking, and never give out my Social insurance number unless it is the bank or the government who ask. In these times one must be wary of identity theft. When it came to Facebook though..so happy to find old friends, you get caught up in that and forget who's watching.
I need a good slap for that. * SMACKS

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is a tad off-topic but I feel I need to say this (not aimed at anyone specific):

Please be careful with your personal information! You should be very selective with whom you want to add as your Facebook friends.

Here on ATS you have some degree of anonymity, but on Facebook you are pretty much exposed. And - I know this is hard to believe - there are people everywhere (including ATS) that want to hurt you, even if it's just for kicks. Identity terrorism on the Internet is a growing problem and you need to protect yourself from it. A person that has it in for you need only one picture of you and a telephone directory and he/she can make your life a living hell...

Random Example

PLEASE be paranoid when it comes to strangers on the Internet - especially when you don’t have your anonymity.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Not to mention there are things like Pipl

Which basicly finds almost anyone.

You can search first and last name
You can search email address
You can do reveres phone number

and anothee one, Usernames.... , yep just search for peoples usernames, that's why it's not the best idea to use the same username on all the sites you are on etc etc because they can eventually link up and from a little detail get a lot.

Search for yourself on the site I just gave, even just search your ATS username... you'd be surprised what comes up.

Any netwrok profiles you should just keep private and only add people that you actually know in real life.

Mikey

[edit on 11/6/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Reply to post by Mikey84

i searched on pipl for my ATS name, nothing came up

2nd line

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

Lol sorry to tell you that but you are definitely there :
www.Pipl.com

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

yep, you are correct.
and iam aware of the other search site.
my username is quite common, so there are many, not all me either..my real name, brought up nothing.
Woot!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by cueone1

damnit, it sure is, but its nothing big just posts and replies.

nothing really identifiable.
but when i put in my real name all sortsa stuff popped. My myspace page, all my previous addresses, relatives. man this is kinda scary.
My current address didnt show up though, thank god. But I have taken certain measures to make sure no one is aware of my present location.
unless they track my phone, but my GPS is off. Only thing traceable is my PO boxes...but thats a whole nother story

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think people here are forgetting that the information can come from more than 1 party. Just because you do not have someone in your contact list doesn't mean other people don't have you in theirs.

That would be the most likely source in what is going on here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join