It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 10-year-old girl has been arrested and charged with assault after she got into a fight with her ol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Amen caveman...yet there will still be folks who say this is the cops' faults

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
And I state again :
But, what I really think must've happened is an unwitting stranger had no clue about the two being sisters and thought it was playground bully stuff and called the police because he/she didn't know the girls parents or any vital information and called in because they feared the child being killed by a bully(which, in case you haven't noticed is a growing problem).
This is something that could have been serious if one was not siblings. Not that siblings don't kill one another, it has happened also.
I would like someone to notify the police if they saw my child, esp. my daughters being pummeled, siblings or not. You have no idea how young people think, they don't have a concience in the sense we adults have.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Hey, I get what you are saying! I definately wouldn't want my daughter being bullied by anyone. And I think your assumption on the way it went down is correct as well. Whoever called the police on the girls probably didn't know they were siblings and just saw a fight happening.

What teed me off about this is the way it was handled. If I saw a couple of youngsters fighting I would simply break them up, especially someone as young as these girls. Then what really boiled my blood is when the police arrive at the girls home, why was there an arrest made? Couldn't the police have figured out what happened and given them a good talking to? And don't give me that "if the police are called, they have to make an arrest" crap! That's simply not true. I'm sure there are cities that have this crap non-tolerance policy, but we don't know if this one does or not.

This article is talking about a 10 year old, not some out of control teenagers. Our authoritative figures need to use more common since in these situations, be it adults, police, judges, lawmakers, etc.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Mudman21]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Yes, sibling rivalry is as old as time itself.

I too had been subject to sibling violence as a child (even though I was the eldest). I've had my front-teeth chiseled out with a screw-driver, a Rutger .357 shot at me, a splitting axe taken to my bedroom door and shoulder, my skull fractured and partially caved in with a baseball bat, an arm broken from being twisted behind my back, and a long line of other injuries at the hands of my younger sister. (And usually for silly reasons like I wouldn't lend an album to her, or I got a better Report Card than she, or so forth.)

Do you know what happened every time one of these extreme incidents would happen?

I, the victim, would be the one arrested by the Police and taken to Juvenile Detention!!!

Besides being resentful that the Police would arrest the wrong sibling, I was always grateful, in retrospect, that a concerned neighbor would call the Police and that they would intervene (Darwinism can only be on your side for so long before your luck runs out, after all!).

I lived through it all and turned out okay. Even though I haven't (understandably) seen or spoken to my sister for 23 years, I hear she turned out okay after I moved out of my parent's house at age 15.

Some sibling violence is far more extreme than others. Some siblings are fine with pulling hair and spitting, or giving wedgies, and using a myriad of other techniques to humiliate rather than physically injure. However, there are some siblings that take the violence up a couple of notches to the point that the Police *SHOULD* intervene.

It is a very thin line where mild violence escalates to life-threatening when siblings fight, to where the whole matter becomes shades of grey rather than a simple black and white scenario.

IMHO neither the concerned witnesses in the park who reported the incident, nor the Police did the wrong thing. I also don't blame the parents either as most parents aren't aware of these kinds of hostilities going on behind their backs when they aren't looking. However, I would be genuinely disappointed and incensed if the Judge ordered a sentence other than Family Counseling for *BOTH* siblings.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

Some states have a law that states if the cops are called due to family violence then action has to be taken. If they just gave the kids a talking to, left the house and later that night the the 10 year old shot her sister then the PD could be held responsible.

State law is state law. Don't get mad at the cops for following the law. If you don't like it then write the governer of that state and do what you can to get it changed.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal
She shouldn't have been formally arrested. Calling her Mom should be enough...
Why give a 10 year old little girl a police record? I am becoming increasingly disgusted with some of the things that now go on in this country.

I would assume they need parental consent to arrest a child. If not assuming it was in the US I was always told it is illegal without the parental consent.

Now in the past some of my family's kids did have the cops called on them to make a point to the child and worked really well. Of course they weren't arrested but made enough of an impression to stop the behaviors. So I'm guessing maybe this was an ongoing thing (the fighting) and the parents approved of the arrest to make a point.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
For crying out loud STOP

We can't allow children to fight...

If they do fight they will be far, far less traumatized and mentally anguished and damaged for life when they turn 18 and we draft them, strap them to parachutes with automatic weapons and drop them out of airplanes into hostile territory where the kids have been training with guns since age 8 to try and murder them...

Then what happens the survivors come back from these wars... able to hold jobs? Capable of functioning again?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

You have given great insight on this situation. I hate to hear when kids grow up under abuse and violence. My mother raised three of my nephews due to abuse and have seen firsthand the trauma this causes later in life. Fortunately, like you, they turned out to be O.K.

The problem with this situation, as listed in this article, we are all making assumptions as to the circumstances. There is not enough in the article to make a conclusive decision as to if this was an ongoing problem with the sisters, whether there is a law in this state that makes an arrest mandatory, etc. We have to go by what the article tells us which is a ten year old and a thirteen year old got into a fight at a park (anyone with a sibling is going to get into a fight some time or another), police where called, there where injuries to both girls, and the ten year old was arrested. Based on the info provided, it seems asinine that the girl was taken into custody!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A few things come to mind...if anyone were to be charged (notice I did not say arrested) it would be be the mother, father, guardian, etc. who has the responsibility for the children.

I agree that certain things regarding violence among children should be investigated to make sure that there are not other issues involved, such as a history of violent outbursts at school, child abuse at home, etc., to determine if the child might need counseling or some other course of intervention to break what can sometimes lead to a lifetime of increasingly dangerous behavior. It has been proven that many serial killers had a history of something as simple as abusing animals when they were young for example.

I admit that that last statement was pretty over the top but it does kind of explain why certain authorities take the stance that they do when dealing with reports such as this. We hear about kids falling through the cracks all the time so you never know when something as simple as sibling rivalry may signal that other factors are involved. But actually arresting the child seems a bit heavy handed.

As far as who filed the complaint, I feel there are a few "well meaning" individuals out there who feel it is their place to intervene in a situation that they have no business getting involved in. There are many, many cases of a family being falsely accused of child abuse because some good samaritan turned them in because the mom gave their child a simple, single spank on the rear because they were throwing a fit at the grocery store. Once accused you can never take it back and it can blemish what is a normal, happy family for life while the accuser gets away scot free.

Sorry, starting to ramble.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join