It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA Prohibits Student from Saying 'Jesus' in Graduation Speech

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murky

The ACLU picks and chooses which parts of the Constitution it will defend. It is a HIGHLY partisan group with no real commitment to the Constitution for all Americans - just the ones whose rights it chooses to defend for political reasons of its own.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't support the ACLU, because it has done an outstanding job of ignoring MY constitutional rights. I speak as a pissed-off consumer.

Thank you for answering my question.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You seem to fail to see the biggest point.. and no one seems to have pointed it out.. so perhaps I will..

IT'S NOT UCLA ENDORSING, SAYING, SUPPORTING, OR OTHERWISE PUSHING ANY DOGMA ONTO ANYONE ELSE...... THIS IS A STUDENT EXPRESSING HER, I REPEAT, HER OWN BELIEFS. SHE DOES NOT REPRESENT UCLA, THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, OR ANY SPECIFIC RELIGIOUS BODY.... SHE ONLY REPRESENTS HER SELF, AND YOUR VIEWS, AND UCLA'S VIEWS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONALLY SUPPRESSING HER RIGHTS AS A US CITIZEN TO FREE SPEECH, BELIEF AND EXPRESSION.

I have absolutely no respect for anyone who suppresses anyone god given rights to say ANYTHING at all, so long as it does not threaten their lives... and last I checked saying Jesus wasn't going to kill anyone. If only you saw your self and your beliefs for what they really are.. the very basics which you claim to support, you are the suppressor, the tyrant, the taker of rights, you, those like you, those that support the institutions that work against our freedoms, you are the demise of this once great Country..

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Again - - - I see it as Separation of Church and State - - above all else.

---------------------------------------

Here is the first paragraph - Notice - GOVERNMENT FUNDED: A professor at the government-funded University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) has prohibited a graduating student from saying "I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ," in her own graduation speech.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Annee]

Almost all schools receive some sort of government funding. That does not make them public schools and it doesn't qualify them as a government function. Nor is SHE a government official or a school official that is required to keep any of her views or beliefs silenced. She is a private citizen and is allowed to say what she wants.

Obviously it is related to Religion. Therefore it is about Religion. The problem is Religion.

No just because it is related to a subject does not make it about that issue.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Hmm I think you did a bit of a one two punch with that one, will we be hearing more of Annee ?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Government funded college OK's speech - rejects religious reference

Crystal clear.

No reason for long involved posts.

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Amen. If Jesus were around he would approve of this post!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No, the only thing that is Crystal Clear is your fascist mindset. Allow them to suppress what we say at certain venues, at certain times, in front of certain people.. where will you draw the line? In an era where the Government creeps into our lives more and more year after year, where do we draw the line on this political (and it is political) correct BS?

I certainly hope you don't own a GM .. after all, the US Government now owns 60% of this corporation.. if we follow the ignorance you vomit on these pages we might as well assume, sitting in your Chevrolet to utter the Lords name is an extreme offense? Perhaps we should put little sensors in OnStar so as Big Brother can monitor our speech....

After all..

GM is now Government funded.

I for one pray to any God, known or unknown, that my children won't have to see the country people like you are building.. hopefully we can undo the damage..

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It sounds like a rule Bench Mason would have to endure when barely entering the lodge lmfao.

Hey sure you can mention Jah-Bulon or Osiris or Buddah or whoever the heck ya want! Just not JESUS!

What BS this poor student has to go through?!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Originally posted by Sundancer
I don't get it... Christians are the war party, you'd think the government would force the schools to bend over backwards for them. I'm not Christian but I wouldn't care if someone said Jesus in a speech. It's not like they were trying to beat me with the bible.

Hey well being 62 - - I can tell you in our country there was major Christian dominance in many areas.

Laws have been enacted not to stop Christians - - but to allow space for all other beliefs.

Its that simple. We are NOT a Christian nation.

Since when? Last time I looked, our country was founded on judeo-christian beliefs. In the preamble (please correct me if I'm wrong) it says we are endowed by our creator. . .
Not by allah, budda, zen, lucifer, whatever. . .

not in the preamble...

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
reply to post by Annee

I'm not following you on your justification of religion being left in the home or place of worship. Colleges are supposed to be places where people can exchange ideas in a free and open environment, because last time I checked this is not Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia.

Citizens here can and should be able to say what they wish and of all places at the university. If the person wants to thank Christ at their commencement that shouldn't be hindered by university bureaucrats at anytime. So now universities are in the censorship business?

No this is not nazi germany or stalinist russia, but it is the combination of the two. if you are on this website then you should know that this country is not different than either one of those two, just improved. This should take no on as a surprise. And if you think that an almighty creator of the universe cares if you get a degree or not, you maybe need to reevaluate your beliefs. what ever happened to just thanking mom?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by antimatter21]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Government funded college OK's speech - rejects religious reference

Crystal clear.

No reason for long involved posts.

Carry on.

Well, then i guess every school, college, and university in this country just lost it's right to free speech under your ignorant policies.

There's not a school that exists today that doesn't receive govt aide in some form.

But i see now, you're just trolling. We can finally get back to the thread at hand.

The UCLA is wrong for what they did. And the people who were wronged in this event should stand up for their beliefs and finally allow white christians to take a stand for themselves instead of being the scapegoat for certain angry bitter minorities.

Just because someone is black doesn't mean they're going to mug me.
Just because someone is Muslim doesn't mean they're going to blow me up.

But just because i'm a white Christian doesn't mean i'm racist with an agenda either. Tolerance goes both ways. Hypocrite.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by falcon

Yeah it would seem as long as your not Christian you can mention
your deity with no fears you might not graduate. This teacher is just another prime example of freedom of speech as long as you go with their flow. This girl has every right to mention Jesus God the angels and whatever else she wants to say and if they don't like it too bad. Others can mention Buddha and Mohammed so why not Jesus these people need to grow up and use what little academic brains they actually have.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's sad to see people from the western world hating themselves and our culture so much. Why is it that people fight for what they think other groups of people find insulting?

Unfortunatly this is only the beginning of the islamization of the western world.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

It simply is not all about her.

Plus - - it is actually mandated by the state for public schools.

It is about her, her beliefs and her rights. and when in the hell has state law MANDATED that the rights to free speech were to be denied?

Your attitude offends me, therefore you should be silenced, right?
I mean, if I'm to agree with you, then anyone who offends me can shut the hell up, right?

I totally agree- it is actually those who try to silence those on their own beliefs, those who actually try to not offend anyone, accept all type who actually are forcing their own beliefs on others...

it is actually quite impossible in nature to elimate one belief from another, but it is quite possible to wholly force a my way or the highway way on life on a whole society, etc...

Those people who Believe that everything should be equal, accept all type no matter what are actually the most hypocritical/evil people in the world, but alas these people who think they can fool nature actually were created by nature itself with this illusion, and thus will be destroyed by nature itself in the end as nature itself has created the greatest illusion in these people...

So far - no-one can beat the universe, its laws, physics, etc, but the universe itself can install that illusion into any creature it creates, etc... Hence the universe creates our world, then destroyes it.. Even the Being God Himself can not change these laws of the universe for He or they were created by it in the first place hence God did not create the universe, it created Him, but He or they created the rest....

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
People, people !!!!

Relax!!!!

This is the natural progression of thr American, and global for that matter, society.

The Bible itself prophesizes that Xtiany will be banned and become an underground movement.

So relax, its all part of the process.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

The Bible itself prophesizes that Xtiany will be banned and become an underground movement.

i've never understood why certain people think just because they say something it automatically becomes truth.

The bible says absolutely nothing like this.

Please just stop.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

The bible says absolutely nothing like this. Please just stop.

looks like little fremdy forgot to do is sunday school homework.

Oh well, believe want you want, as I watch what I read about years ago come true before my very eyes. In fact I'm surprised that you believe otherwise when all of ATS is teeming with NWO, WWIII, death of Xtainity talk. Oh well

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
People, people !!!!

Relax!!!!

This is the natural progression of thr American, and global for that matter, society.

So relax, its all part of the process.

Could you please provide a reference.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It doesn't matter one little bit what it says in the Bible about the end of days!

I can give you the passages that you're looking for (via u) but if any of you post it I'll be forced to alert a Mod!

This is not the place to discuss that sort of thing and certain people ar trying to turn this into a psissing contest between Christians and atheist or "anti-Christians" and others are all too willing to take the bait.

If you want to talk about the end of days in the Bible start a thread and discuss it there. This thread is about free speech. Do not derail it. If the subject matter has grown cold than let it sputter and die.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by lazy1981]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
looks like little fremdy forgot to do is sunday school homework.

Well that's a good thing, Sunday school is no different than a Madrassa - teaching a ridiculous belief in a non existent deity, In short brainwashing the masses. It's going to be big surprise(or probaly not) that when you die there is nothing after

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join