It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA Prohibits Student from Saying 'Jesus' in Graduation Speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

UCLA Prohibits Student from Saying 'Jesus' in Graduation Speech

www.earnedmedia.org

A professor at the government-funded University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) has prohibited a graduating student from saying "I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ," in her own graduation speech.

Christina Popa just posted the proof emails on her facebook page, showing how other students are permitted to have their speeches read aloud at a pre-graduation ceremony, and Christina would also be allowed, but only if she didn't mention Jesus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well if this doesnt get your attention to how bad things have gotten I dont know what will. At the UCLA today and in the New America you can no longer say the name Jesus at this university at your graduation. Everything else is permitted but this women is prohibited from saying thank you to jesus in the america.

Falcon

www.earnedmedia.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
And colleges are about higher education?

I think the question to ask about this is it worth suing UCLA over, probably not seeing how its in Cali, chances are they would rule in favor of UCLA.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Good!

Her personal religion doesn't belong at a graduation of multi-cultural students of various beliefs.

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Good!

Her personal religion doesn't belong at a graduation of multi-cultural students of various beliefs.

So multi-cultural is ok. Just as long as it isn't a christian culture?

Jesus Christ!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You seriously have to be joking right?

That is pretty fascist thought. If the student wants to thank Satan then it is her choice. If the students can't ignore it then the school isn't properly preparing them for the real world.

She is apart of the multi-culture make up in that school.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by Annee

You seriously have to be joking right?

That is pretty fascist thought. If the student wants to thank Satan then it is her choice. If the students can't ignore it then the school isn't properly preparing them for the real world.

She is apart of the multi-culture make up in that school.

NO - I am NOT Joking.

Religion belongs at home or in your church. It does not belong in Government or any public School.

UCLA is a public school.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't know if this is an urban legend or not but a similar story came up a few years ago at a high school that banned any reference to God. The valedictorian finished her speech, did a fake sneeze, and the entire class responded "God Bless You!"

It seems like a few people are so bent on keeping religion out of the public to appease the mythical "seperation of church and state" fanatics, but they forget about the part about government not restricting the free expression of religion.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Good!

So multi-cultural is ok. Just as long as it isn't a christian culture?

Jesus Christ!

Where did I mention Christian?

Her personal religion could be anything.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

...."I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,"....

Sounds Christian to me. That is from the article by the way. Christianity is a culture so, by your logic, Muslims shouldn't where Burka's, Jew's shouldn't where I forget what thee name of it is but the little hats they where.

You can't go banning everything that you don't like. Because it is a public school then its all the more reason why should she be able to say what she wants to say.

What are you going to do when your at work and somebody says the same thing? Are you going to get offended? Well tuff is what I say.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Not that I'm a big Jesus fan but she should be able to say it if she wants to. She should just say she won't, then read it anyways. What are they going to do? Rush up and tackle her secret service style? They can't prevent free speech.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What do you mean by multi-cultural? I think (I could be wrong) that the definition is people with a variety of faiths.
What I meant is that all other faiths are ok but christianity isn't? And faith isn't just in the homes or churches, it's how we define ourselves.
Or are you a christian bigot?
Just asking. . .

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
It seems like a few people are so bent on keeping religion out of the public to appease the mythical "seperation of church and state" fanatics, but they forget about the part about government not restricting the free expression of religion.

I'm not religious and I don't support UCLA's prohibition at all. As much as it irritates me when people thank religious figures for their own achievements - people should have the right to say such things.

However, I have no idea where you got the idea that the separation of church and state is mythical.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I guess first ammenment rights don't apply if you're a christain. Especially in a state like California.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm confused.

They are letting her speak so how can they stop her from saying, "I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ".

Why didn't she just acknowledge what they said to her without agreeing to it and then said it anyway?

Pretty simple right?

If she actually believed in freedom of speech then that is more or less what she would have done. Clearly she doesn't really care that much.

Our rights can't be taken from us. They are inalienable. We can be tricked into giving them up. But they can never be taken.

Resist.

Vas

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I guess first ammenment rights don't apply if you're a christain. Especially in a state like California.

And if it was a Luciferian?

You would support her giving her speech and praising Lucifer?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If she wants to make herself look like a mentally ill lunatic on her day, god bless her. It's not for anyone to get involved or take that away from her.

How did this make it all the way to the newz?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

What do you mean by multi-cultural? I think (I could be wrong) that the definition is people with a variety of faiths.

What I meant is that all other faiths are ok but christianity isn't? And faith isn't just in the homes or churches, it's how we define ourselves.
Or are you a christian bigot?
Just asking. . .

I was raised - actually assimilated Christian as most Christians are. I know what it is to be Christian. By choice I am no longer because I do not believe the "story". That does not mean I don't accept their could be a spiritual entity referred to as Jesus Christ.

I like the sound of multi-cultural - - if you prefer multi-faith - - that's OK too.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Annee]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

And if it was a Luciferian?

You would support her giving her speech and praising Lucifer?

Yes.

She should be allowed to thank whoever she wants, its her damn graduation speech.

Separation of church and state is not there to persecute individual beliefs. If a professor was trying to preach Christianity, or force people to pray, that would be one thing. But to prevent people from practicing their own religious beliefs is fascism.

Political correctness is really getting out of hand.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by falcon

It's surprising they are trying to bring the separation of church and state argument into this when it doesn't remotely apply. Is she trying to get religion taught in schools? Is she trying to create a law involving religion?

No. She is invoking her right to free speech and the right to religious expression. This is a rights issue at it's core.

A few years back a valedictorian was threatened to not receive her diploma if she refused to take her reference to Jesus out of her speech. Not sure what ever came of it.

Anyways, presidents, including Obama, bring up religion in their speeches all the time. And that is the president. So if a student wants to thank Jesus in her speech, she has every right as a citizen. There's really no argument past that point.

[edit on 6/5/2009 by AshleyD]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join