It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where's the points

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If points are to be awarded then they should be displayed as should the number of posts a member has made.

So, either stop awarding points all together or decide upon one system of displaying the total number of points and stick with it.

Pretty simple really.

[edit on 31/5/09 by Freeborn]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
All these points and stars and such leave it up to the readers interpretation. Please refer to the "up-to-the-minute-market thread" for insight on this subject.

The more negative you are on the economy, the more points you accumulate.. interesting? I think its more laughable than anything (relating to the market thread).

Perhaps points and stars and such should just be awarded by MODS, and maybe put into a separate thread where users cannot post replies to. In this thread, you could praise what you thought needed to be praised, and then link to the post.

Just a suggestion.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I like seeing the points, as well as the star and flag. It's a good guideline as how well the members are doing with posts, and way to give kudos to the ones I really like.
And I, for one, really like ostentatious displays of wealth! Ain't that why we work so hard? So we can show off our toys (or our points?)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Yes, but all of this is a very subjective matter.

If you get a lot of people with misinformation agreeing on one matter, it makes it very hard to get over that hurdle.

And if you don't think this site is full of that, well lets just say I would disagree.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Judging by comments in the ATS Issues thread, it had seemed as if many had thought the public display of status was a bad thing.

I liked the display of another posters status. If I had questions I would usually go to ones who seemed to be here longest and had the most positive feedback. I am still new on here and sometimes I have questions and I liked that I could go to older more established members and get answers. If someone thinks displaying status is bad then IMO that's their own problem. Oh well....guess you cant please everyone.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
As part of the massive Auto bailout, ATS has been hit hard and it seems that we have collectively had to forfeit our point totals to help out with the restructuring plan.

end sarcasm.

[edit on 5/31/2009 by JacKatMtn]

Haaaa that cracked me up!!

second line cause I have to

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Glad i dont see the point's.

To measure a person's contribution in point's is egostistical.

If they come back or stay away make's little difference. But i for one wont miss them.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

I agree I found the new bronze, silver gold thing a little too egotistical. However I would like some way of recognizing a reliable poster from a not so reliable one, if a way could be done to show this then that would be good. I do tend to look at points and time spent on ATS as an indicator the poster may be speaking with a greater quality. An experience indicator maybe?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

recognizing a reliable poster

OH, and who is going to make that decision?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Glad i dont see the point's.

To measure a person's contribution in point's is egostistical.

If they come back or stay away make's little difference. But i for one wont miss them.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

Since we are communicating in virtual reality, its nice to see how i fit in the crowd's mental image of me. Besides my egotistical self liked seeing acceptance rise with the points. Whether that is the intention is beside the point(s).

Get it? Points? Nevermind.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Judging by comments in the ATS Issues thread, it had seemed as if many had thought the public display of status was a bad thing.

OH NO!

I just finished integrating my "godlike wisdom" into my self concept. And I really, really liked it. I also told all my friends and got people to join just to prove it.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Mr Green

recognizing a reliable poster

OH, and who is going to make that decision?

You know a new thread is started and you look to the OP and their history. A member of several years is likely to be more reliable than say one of several months. I know the reliability of an OP soon becomes apparant within the first page but its nice to have some on screen indicator of a member.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Darn it.. I aint given it up.. I'm a solid and three flags from a bronze! I'm keeping my solid mentality. I hope I do get to see less ad after three more flags.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

i agree with you...i never quite understood how the "points" helped or hindered me. but i'll take a t-shirt and a coffee mug for compensation

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Members moods don't show in the threads anymore either some were kinda funny

I can see mine on my profile.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
OK, so how do we upgrade our signatures or back grounds without buying them with our points? And since there is no way to star any posts, it looks like all we can do is spend what we have till we're broke!!!LOL
Sounds like our present economy is here at ATS! We're all broke now and we are all even,LOL

Zindo

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Points, flags, stars, and posts are still available by clicking the member's profile and looking at them there.

If that is how one chooses to measure other members then just look at the profile it only takes a second.

It seems the only thing different are the "badges" are not displayed on the avatar on the threads.

It is understandable that a person with the highest standing would be proud of the public display of their "position" on the board, but is it really necessary?

I also believe that I read on the ATS Issues thread that the ads will still not be seen by those who have met the criteria, this was the whole idea in the first place, to reward contributors by eliminating the ads, therefore the original idea is still intact.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
OK, so how do we upgrade our signatures or back grounds without buying them with our points? And since there is no way to star any posts, it looks like all we can do is spend what we have till we're broke!!!LOL
Sounds like our present economy is here at ATS! We're all broke now and we are all even,LOL

Zindo

Points have never been accumulated through this new system. Points are still available by your post counts and applause. This hasn't changed.

Stars I don't believe were ever related to points, nor were flags.

Another answer to questions here about starrring.

Starring was never available on board and business threads.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why can't we star?? I'm confused.

If you think you are hardly done by with the badges gone...
I became an apprentice during my thread.
I logged out to do some work, logged back in to check on my thread and my apprentice status was gone!!!!! I was an apprentice for I kid you not, 15 minutes!! Now thats got to be a record!!

So can we still flag?? Hmmm I have no idea what is going on around here right now. Can someone please fill me in??

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Interesting concept by removing all status symbology; we all post on a level playing field!

It does sway opinion when you see a post from someone talking tripe, but they have 50 trillion points, been a member since Babbage invented the computer and have gold status, so you get a herd mentality.

In fact, i don't even think mods should post in threads, as they can sway the debate and people just automatically throw stars at them for doing their mod job. They should have alias accounts to interject their opinions.

Perhaps without the distraction of status, we can discuss topics with equality and mutual integrity. Also, people may start using the ignore button more, for members who continually trash threads.

As Al Pacino said in Devil's Advocate:

“Vanity is my favourite sin.”

p.s. email me any points you feel i deserve for this post; i have an ego to feed.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
For those that missed the edit on my post earlier.

We have never been able to star in this forum, Board and Business questions.

Starring is still available in other forums.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join