It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where's the points

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
No longer flagging,
no star can we see.
Despite posts unnumbered,
disappointed are we.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

No longer flagging,
no star can we see.
disappointed are we.

This could set a trend.
the end,

lol

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

No longer flagging,
no star can we see.
disappointed are we.

Last time I am going to point out this fact.

Look at members profile and all the information is there.

You can still flag and star, just not star in this forum as has always been the case, this is Board Business and Questions.

Many should read the entire thread before getting upset.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Well, I liked the original system. It was unique and not something other boards had. I liked the positive/negative feed back that the star system gave to your opinions. If more disagreed with you or agreed with you you had a type of compass. Just my opinion but still, I liked it!

Zindo

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

It is understandable that a person with the highest standing would be proud of the public display of their "position" on the board, but is it really necessary?

Why do you care?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about all of this, but what I do know is I don't like the constant changing from one day to the next.

The posting of a members points to me shows the amount of work that person has put into this site.

I did like the 250/250/250 club idea more than the gold, silver and blah blah blah!!!

So I like to see the points and the 250 club. The 250 club idea gave a member something to strive for, compared to the gold/silver thing that put us into categories. The gold/silver thing to me showed favoritism towards members that just haven't been around that long, and IMHO drove away some members that have been here for years.

Basically the way I see it everyone could get into the 250 club, but only a select few could ever be in the gold or above "club"

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Well, I liked the original system. It was unique and not something other boards had. I liked the positive/negative feed back that the star system gave to your opinions. If more disagreed with you or agreed with you you had a type of compass. Just my opinion but still, I liked it!

Zindo

We still have the star system, Zindo!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Perhaps without the distraction of status,

Seriously?

It distracts you?

how odd.

I remember when I first came to the forum I wasn't jealous or distracted by the people with mega points or post.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

The whole point with flagging threads is so the back-end database knows which topics are hot or not, and displays them on the main board, so casual visitors can see important topics being discussed without joining.

What about having a thumb up/thumb down count for each post. Could then have some kind of ratio, from how your posts are perceived by others. The higher the index, the more respected the member becomes...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I read the entire thread and I know what exactly is going on.

You are the one with the issue.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I still see the ability to Star and Flag post.

Just the display of the points is gone.

As a new poster to ATS, but a long time lurker, I applaud this move!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I wouldn't want to give people a thumbs down, ever, I think people would really misuse that you know political and religious biases and all that jazz.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The point system seems to be somewhat arbitrary at any rate. Without a sticky of exactly how many points are awarded in each instance there isn't really much of a reason to keep it up. I've been over the points threads and haven't been able to nail down the points to posts system at all. The ratio can go from 10-1 or higher down to 1-1. A check of some profiles reveals no specific reason for the extra points--no threads started, no flags, etc.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I liked the idea of the points. You could see your membership grow.

The contributor badges weren't a bad thing either, in my opinion. If you don't look at them as a status symbol you can see which members do a lot to keep the forums interesting and you can watch the growth of other members.

The stars were also awesome. If you are a new member you can look at the stars on particular post and get a general consensus of what the other members think about the information in the post. This helped me a lot when I first came to this site. I didn't know what was hogwash and what had been accepted, by the general forum population, as solid information.

Without these functions the site seem a bit hollow, like some of the features that made this site so in-depth are gone(Because they are). It seems more Plain Jane, like many other forums that don't have a whole lot of interaction with it's members.

The features that are gone made the individual, me anyway, feel like they were a bigger part of the site. Like the individual contributions made were of importance. Those features made it seem like the site appreciated, more than other sites, it's members contributions.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know what you mean Stormdancer777, but perhaps with a visual indicator, you can associate with other peoples ideology.

What if the blue stars were left as they were, but below that row of stars, there were red stars showing negative clicks.

So in a political thread, you'd know instantly, which way that post is perceived and you can identify with that poster.

I don't see a problem with flagging negativity. Some posts just boil your blood and a lovely red star would vent my anger

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be just as eay to tell the members thoughts on the post by the lack of stars?

I have been to a few threads and seen a conversation. One post would have 15 stars and the adressing post would have 5 stars. You could tell by this which one the general pop. considered more solid.

Either way I hope the site management brings back some sort of interaction with members and their memberships. An interaction that shows the growth of the membership and their contributions would be nice.

To me these features were like air-conditioning, power brakes, locks and windows, sunroof, satellite radio, or leather seats on a car. All great accessories to have, but not everyone wants them.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by esteay812]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I think a system like this would be used in the wrong way for many posts esp in certain forums I believe. I have read things I dont agree with but I would never give someone a thumbs down for their opinion. I have starred peoples posts I absolutely disagreed with but I liked how they presented it and I felt it deserved credit IMO.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think the status is crutial. It give more incentive to post better threads. I think we are all a bit competitive, in a good way.

It is also a reward for posting quality here on ATS. I think most were only concerned with the "godlike wisdom"

How will we be rewarded for our excellent content threads. Starring also shows a person has Knowledge and participates wisely to a discussion.

No more rewards?

[edit on 31-5-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I don't see a problem with flagging negativity. Some posts just boil your blood and a lovely red star would vent my anger

Cause I am a positive kinda gal.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have starred peoples posts I absolutely disagreed with but I liked how they presented it and I felt it deserved credit IMO.

Yes good point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join