It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe religion is souring this entire site, it should be banned

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Well people are cheering it on like it is a good thing but it is just a sign of what way things are headed. It just reminds me of this poem
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Atheism is not a religion.A religion requires doctrine,practices etc there is no book of atheism or teachings to follow... it is simply the lack of belief in a deities.Nothing more, nothing less.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator

Originally posted by The Mack
well wikipedia is on the way www.theregister.co.uk... to start banning by religion. kinda like those guys way back when in germany, you go after the small population first.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by The Mack]

Massive victory for the christian church, they will be celebrating for sure. They've done a phenomenal job of keeping scientology at bay with a brilliant disinformation campaign, etc

First, Wikipedia banned the Scientologists because they believed they were promoting their own religion, and they only banned the ones who were making edits to Scientology articles. They didn't just randomly decide to do it.

Second, why only the Christians? What about other religions? Do you have a problem with religion in general or is it just Christianity?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I never said to cut the Atheists, nor any believers. I'm questioning some replies to me. I thought this thread was about banning religion, yet a couple are offended at the word Atheist. Why?

My point was why worry about religion when the the majority may be atheists.

I base my conclusion on the amount of flags a thread gets. Threads that acknowledge God get few flags but those who oppose get many.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by Valhall

Atheism is not a religion.A religion requires doctrine,practices etc there is no book of atheism or teachings to follow... it is simply the lack of belief in a deities.Nothing more, nothing less.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Solomons]

Let's argue this right here and now. Apparently that's what this thread is all about (until one group gets banned that is). I - and I'm not alone - reject your argument and declare you are, in fact, a religion.

Live with it - it's not that it's a fact. It's that it's an opinion held staunchly by many.

Just like the opinion held by many on your side that christians are bonkers and believe in fairy-tales.

You have to accept it....can't change it.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
BTW...there are several of us (maybe that's another survey we should take) that believe atheism is a religion. So, based on the numbers presented here, we're talking about culling over 85% of the membership.

That'll leave the agnostics, who truly aren't a religion....but it most likely will lead to a pretty quiet forum....especially since they really don't have much of a knack for making up their minds.

'Prolly be a lot of question marks and talking to themselves.

[edit on 5-29-2009 by Valhall]

If atheism is a religion then NOT collecting stamps is a hobby! maybe Not playing football is a sport. The word you are looking for is Belief.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
BTW...there are several of us (maybe that's another survey we should take) that believe atheism is a religion. So, based on the numbers presented here, we're talking about culling over 85% of the membership.

That'll leave the agnostics, who truly aren't a religion....but it most likely will lead to a pretty quiet forum....especially since they really don't have much of a knack for making up their minds.

'Prolly be a lot of question marks and talking to themselves.

[edit on 5-29-2009 by Valhall]

You have gone from accusing me of wanting all religion banned from discussion to now banning religious people from the site in full. I don't know where you are getting this info from. That being said, here is a PERFECT example of how an ATS thread gets manipulated by the religious. Good work.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommon-sense

If atheism is a religion then NOT collecting stamps is a hobby! maybe Not playing football is a sport. The word you are looking for is Belief.

Actually, the word you're looking for is manipulation....and maybe throw in semantics.

You BELIEVE there is no higher power, no guiding force, that man is as he will choose and then ends.

That's a religion. It's a belief system. If you have chosen it, go for it. I'll support you in your decision. But don't play games. You have chosen. And many of your ilk are militant in their decision. Actually more militant than most spiritually-believing folks. At times I would like to just label a good lot of you fanatics.

You're a religion. You seem to be having a hard time accepting this...you need to go ahead and embrace it. "Our" opinion is, most likely, not going to change.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You have gone from accusing me of wanting all religion banned from discussion to now banning religious people from the site in full. I don't know where you are getting this info from. That being said, here is a PERFECT example of how an ATS thread gets manipulated by the religious. Good work.

Actually, I haven't gone from anything to anything. I thought you didn't think your OP through when you posted it...and I still feel that way.

I'm pretty steadfast in how I feel about the whole thread.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Why are you so upset. Do you want me and Solomons to leave this thread? Why would you threaten to ban me?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think it rather entertaining at times to see the holy roller attitude because it just points out peoples flawed mindsets and lack of critical thinking. I usually can ignore it but sometimes, I admit it sets me off as I believe all religion is a disease.

But that is the beauty of it, to debate. If you cannot stand it then your best approach would be to ignore it. If you cannot do that then maybe you should avoid ATS. Get some control of how you let others affect you.

link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by Valhall

Why are you so upset. Do you want me and Solomons to leave this thread? Why would you threaten to ban me?

I'm not upset. Are you taking my opposition to your stance as upset? Do you need to leave? The thread is based on the proposition that discussion of religious matter be banned. Do you think I place your thinking of "leaving" above the proposition of banning a discussion that would ultimately affect hundreds of members?

I think not.

Buck up.

You brought yourself to this discussion...stick with it.

link   
I'm not entirely sure how I feel, having been given Catholic guilt from the start.

IMO, a persons spiritualty and/or religion, is their business.

Contrary to popular belief, the west is (or more so) no more to blame than any other culture.

At least we don't eat our own wounded.

except as far as MP's go...

[edit on 29/5/2009 by budski]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Oh common, leave the mp's alone, all they wanted was some pocket change..sheez.

As for believers or non believers well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and what they feel comfortable with. I am unable to see were this whole thread is heading.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Yes Mam, I'll take your advice.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yeah, lets just ban all posts pertaining to religion. Lets regulate and censor everything else, until everyone is happy. Oh wait, that's half past never.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
IMO, a persons spiritualty and/or religion, is their business.
[edit on 29/5/2009 by budski]

That is the problem, they do not just keep it to themselves. I once had a christian tell me it was their duty at all times in every facet of life to relentlessly spread the lord's word. That is the problem, religious are here in the general forums with that mindset. It is their duty to inject the lord into everything they say or do, because if they don't they are failing to be a good christian. It may not be a direct reference that is easy to detect but it is always there and it's trashes the content and mission of ATS. God before ATS so to speak. Of course some christians of the 'pick and choose what I want to believe that suits me' variety will deny this and continue to lash out at me until they kill the thread and maintain their control.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Oh common, leave the mp's alone, all they wanted was some pocket change..sheez.

Not to get off topic, but I have to ask or it'll bug me forever lol. For what does "mp" stand lol?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

That is the problem, they do not just keep it to themselves. I once had a christian tell me it was their duty at all times in every facet of life to relentlessly spread the lord's word. That is the problem, religious are here in the general forums with that mindset. It is their duty to inject the lord into everything they say or do, because if they don't they are failing to be a good christian. It may not be a direct reference that is easy to detect but it is always there and it's trashes the content and mission of ATS. God before ATS so to speak. Of course some christians of the 'pick and choose what I want to believe that suits me' variety will deny this and continue to lash out at me until they kill the thread and maintain their control.

You just keep digging yourself deeper into the "I want to show I'm not thinking" hole.

So now "religious" only means christians. lol

Why didn't you title this thread "I think christianity is souring this entire site, it should be banned"???

Then at least the population of the board would be maintained so that a decent discussion could continue because you'd still have the following religions: Atheists, Buddhists, Confusionists, Brahmans, Hindus, Muslims.. etc.

And, of course, the non-religious group...agnostics.

You really don't have any clue what you're talking about, do you?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Religion has nothing to offer ATS whatsoever. I stated in another thread I think there is a general conspiracy here by christians (there are even evangelical moderators) that have infiltrated the site to an extreme level. They are here to stifle free thinking.

But is not the point? the biggest conspiracy is why you are even on this planet. I was in fact shocked to find it was not number one...

I mean in order to be here is what? how would you get every other lie without the biggest lie of all "or the lack of understanding"

LIFE

So i will ask you to not leave ATS as you just like me have many questions small and big

If someone "godlike" is being that way just ignore it, that is your choice and it is also their choice to be "godlike"

if they so please

as you so please ask others not to pray for you

Respect is very much in order on this site

forgot to put in quotes

[edit on 29-5-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join