It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe religion is souring this entire site, it should be banned

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

That is the problem, they do not just keep it to themselves. I once had a christian tell me it was their duty at all times in every facet of life to relentlessly spread the lord's word. That is the problem, religious are here in the general forums with that mindset. It is their duty to inject the lord into everything they say or do, because if they don't they are failing to be a good christian. It may not be a direct reference that is easy to detect but it is always there and it's trashes the content and mission of ATS. God before ATS so to speak. Of course some christians of the 'pick and choose what I want to believe that suits me' variety will deny this and continue to lash out at me until they kill the thread and maintain their control.

People do the exact same thing with atheism. Actually, I would wager they do it more. I see way more atheistic posts than theistic posts. I've even seen signatures with atheistic statements in them, and it's offensive.

It is their duty to inject the lord into everything they say or do

Are you not injecting atheism into everything you say? So all kinds of religious beliefs should be banned EXCEPT yours?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I am a strong atheist but I would not want to see any restriction on theists expressing their beliefs. In the same way the anyone who believed in the presence of ghosts or the visitation of aliens.

This site is about openness and discussion. Freedom of speech (within the T&Cs) is paramount. Religion, just like any other subject will be open to question just like any other.

The veracity of theistic belief is subject to the scrutiny of the community, as is any subject. Have some confidence in your fellow ATS'ers, if religion is a fraud then the truth will out.

if we stop religious discussion, what next?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Well i don't any subject should be banned but how people talk about it should be moderated. People can have different points of view and be civil they do not have to call eachother stupid for believing or a heathen for not

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

i found this interesting as a response, only in that in YOU are all bonkers!

you do not even know what put you here

All based on faith correct? faith in what? tell me what it is?

You see the problem? let me show you

(Gods) / Creator

NO God but was created ?

what is god? the very reason why you are here is what god is and its not and never will be something you will possibly find

Only IT knows that little trick

and the list of names posted just above "all" come from LIFE not the other way round

LIFE should be your question not the ego of the human disposition of thinking YOU are the only thing on this planet that is alive

epic fail

link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Let's please not get heated up over this single new member's suggestion. It's not as if this idea is actually going to be implemented or that we're going to be receiving 'Extreme T&C Violation Tags' and 500 point fines for all religious posts in the future.

It's very easy to see a thread topic such as this an immediately get riled or offended. But looking at this realistically, religious discussion is not going to be banned from ATS. It's as simple as that.

Also, this thread exploded in a couple of hours, as is the case with most threads dealing religious topics. That shows the membership has an immense interest in the subject. The site will not be taking that away.

So think about it that way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
You do have a choice..... Read or not to read the thread. Just like I choose not to read 911 threads.
I think everyone is entitled to just as much of choice as you or I, and I absolutely do not need anyone filltering ATS!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Mack

correct !

That is why we have mods.. i will be honest here I do not think anyone bothers "not many" to understand what civility means..

Respect other views as that is the right but also put your own case forward in a manner that does not insult but informs the other person of you views..

BOTH have the choice to disagree... so if you can not then just ignore it ?

Everyone has a right to a voice even ones you do not like..

Emotions are funny things... control them do not let them control you

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

To add to my previous post. A friend of mine invited me to an Alpha Christian meeting. Admittedly I did drink their wine and got quite drunk. While I did not confront their beliefs at any point, they were very tolerant of the drunk atheist!

What did impress me, was their sense of community. They were very much together and atheists can't necessarily replicate that. At the end of the evening, a very nice Canadian couple gave me a lift home.

What I am saying is that, all too often we judge theists by their belief, not as thinking/feeling individuals. However misguided we might consider them, many of the real theists I have met, are wonderful people and deserve to have their views heard,

Ultimately, who am I to judge?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by uncommon-sense

If atheism is a religion then NOT collecting stamps is a hobby! maybe Not playing football is a sport. The word you are looking for is Belief.

Actually, the word you're looking for is manipulation....and maybe throw in semantics.

You BELIEVE there is no higher power, no guiding force, that man is as he will choose and then ends.

That's a religion. It's a belief system. If you have chosen it, go for it. I'll support you in your decision. But don't play games. You have chosen. And many of your ilk are militant in their decision. Actually more militant than most spiritually-believing folks. At times I would like to just label a good lot of you fanatics.

You're a religion. You seem to be having a hard time accepting this...you need to go ahead and embrace it. "Our" opinion is, most likely, not going to change.

Wow, read much? I am actually a Christian, I don't know how you twisted what I said into thinking I am an athiest.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Im glad about that ashley..

And thank you for keeping the voice of others going

Look at this website and how it works

Look at the planet.. now you can understand the magnitude of the problem WE all face...

Now i wonder who is doing the moderating lol
i feel a thread coming on!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I do not wish to derail this debate but i will add to it to give others another prospective on it as it has to do with creation

www.abovetopsecret.com...

enjoy

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Mack

Mack's right. Let's move on.

No need for a second line.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Please set me on ignore. I am not one who frequents religious threads, nor am I one to judge them or anyone else's beliefs.

You are apparently an athiest. Fine. That is your belief -- that of nothingness beyond ourselves. No problem as far as I am concerned. Would you think it absolutely absurd if someone wanted to ban athiests from making threads concerning their beliefs or lack of them? Oh HELL, no, that would be infringing on your freedom of speach. Right?

Do you see it now?

Put me on your ignore list. I myself have no ignore list, nor will I start. If you think that removing from your hallowed view those that are willing to talk about religious concepts will make your world more perfect, then, and only then, do I encourage you to put me on celestial zap.

Of course, that pretty much includes most of the site too, as most of us are at least willing to debate, to talk about, to discuss.

I wish you well. Truly.

[edit on 29/5/09 by argentus]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
reply to post by Valhall

i found this interesting as a response, only in that in YOU are all bonkers!

you do not even know what put you here

All based on faith correct? faith in what? tell me what it is?

You see the problem? let me show you

(Gods) / Creator

NO God but was created ?

what is god? the very reason why you are here is what god is and its not and never will be something you will possibly find

Only IT knows that little trick

and the list of names posted just above "all" come from LIFE not the other way round

LIFE should be your question not the ego of the human disposition of thinking YOU are the only thing on this planet that is alive

epic fail

Epic fail??? Consider this...you just gave your "logical discourse" in what YOU think is the important ponderance for ME. You just stated, as if anyone who disagrees with your logic is BONKERS, that this is the only way to avoid "epic fail". You have just placed on me - without any evidence proffered from me - the accusations of me deciding what is most important, and that I am "trying to find God"...all the while you act in some unmeritoriously and self-aggrandizing manner of deciding YOU need to tell me where my focus should be...and if it is not, I fail.

What a sorry display of your religion you are casting.

Seriously...you guys never seem to look at how you appear. It's really, and usually, quite unseemly.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Wait, what's your point? That's not meant to sound sarcastic or sharp lol, I'm just having trouble following tonight (I'm tired
).

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Did you figure out the star issue yet? I see your thread is listed in Board Business & Questions. None of those allow stars. Darn.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

symmetricAvenger, I think your other thread is completely different. I'll comment on your other thread but this thread is ultimately about freedom of belief and I consider that to be a cornerstone of the development of us all. Otherwise, would I not be persecuted for being an atheist and a minority?

Many of my fellow atheists blame religion for the troubles of this world. However, the world is far more complex than that and no single reason is the cause for all human suffering.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommon-sense

Wow, read much? I am actually a Christian, I don't know how you twisted what I said into thinking I am an athiest.

Yeah, I read. I've read for 6 years running here. "Belief" is not what I was looking for. An organized belief system with a "label" is, in fact, a religion. Just set back and watch....atheism is a religion.

Whatever you are...I don't care. I never have. I never will.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Im sorry if you did not read it...

I do not insult nor do i wish to confront or change you ..

The message i was giving was that ALL life is needed and you are free to disagree correct? is that not what binds us all?

so please i understand my "sorry" religion as you put it... as a way of you saying do not tell me how to think..

But then i will only say... look out the window
and now you see the problem

Just like this thread views are all views correct? view of the same thing

LIFE

so please let me be clear in this YOU and ME had NO choice to be here to argue over the semantic of who is right and wrong.

i wonder if trees argue ? maybe? or maybe a tree is just happy to be a tree?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

That is why i posted it

if you was to ask me what i am "belief" wise i would fit right in to the label of this also "atheist"

But then again maybe not depending on who is asking ; )

And its not me asking or them as i do not know what put me here do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join