It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

well the wonderful ideas of christ as regards non-violence are rather contagious

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Gandhi liked Christ, he wished more Christians were like him.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

i agree. i play video games with some violence in them. i can differentiate between a game with violence and doing real violence to real people. there are some forms of violence we don't acknowledge are violent, yet they are. because society as a whole doesn't deem them to be violent, they are considered acceptable forms of expression. the entire thing gets very blurry, such as not killing a cow because it might be your uncle, or participating in sports with violent content, or learning martial arts because of their potential for violent expression.

the real issue appears to be just alot of finger pointing and not a whole lot of self-introspection.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I agree. Video games FTW!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

ever pvp? (player vs. player)
i don't see that as doing violence to other people either. you're simply challenging one another to hone your skills for thinking fast, hand-to-eye coordination and knowledge of the game mechanics .. not too far removed from beating someone at tennis or ping pong. i think it'd be cool if the wars on the planet were played out in the video world not the real world, and the leaders agreed to stand by the final results. (provided, of course, there was no evidence of hacking

anyway.....

people take themselves entirely too seriously, and often don't afford their fellow humans the same benefit of the doubt. if i told you i had a spiritual experience, you would insist it did not happen because you take yourself that seriously but you don't afford anyone else the same benefit. i dunno, where i agree we should at least question our reality, i'm not so sure it's a good idea to question the reality of others.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

there's no evidence as far as you're concerned. but you aren't me, and i'm not you. for me, there's evidence. in addition, i don't think the way things have been described thus far, allows for wastefulness on an universal scale.

if my mom wasn't preserved in the hereafter, all that knowledge and wisdom would be lost. no, we are here for a purpose. we may not all agree on what that purpose is, but there's a method to the seeming madness and it goes beyond the "stark" reality of atheism

Would your "evidence" stand up in a court of law? If we were on opposing sides, with an impartial jury, would they acquit a god or not? Be honest with yourself.

There is no madness in the universe, it is quite well structured and ordered, but it is structured in a way that was always destined to produce the same result.

There is plenty of purpose for us being here; fundamentally it is survival of the species, but the purpose of life is what we, as people, give it, not what some mythical, omnipresent asshole gives us. If your purpose in life is to make the world a better place for your fellow man, surely that beats the pants of some omnipotent jackass with a massively fragile ego, who actually creates races only to demand other races specifically destroy them (Amalekites), or surrounds his throne with four beings who do nothing but chant "holy, holy is the lord"?

Have you even looked at the character you have put on this pedestal of godhood?

The Gnostics believed this world was created by an evil god, but if you transcend him then you may reach the good and supreme god. If I were to suggest a religion, I'd recommend that one.

Strangely enough, the followers of the god that they believed to be evil then wiped them out in a full-blown crusade...which kind of made their point for them.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

actually what i believe is quite similar to the gnostic version.
i believe one god created our spirits, our eternal bodies, the ones that are pain free and so on
and the other, created our flesh bodies and the flesh body represents the fall of humans.
i theorize we were an entirely different species of being before the fall.

the entire dichotomy of flesh vs. spirit, may be a learning process or a preparatory process for something much more significant.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

PVP? Bleahh! I hate WoW and avoid it like the plague.

But yes the spirit of competition, instilled in humans, is a big part of our lives - people confuse competition with actually, sadistically wanting to hurt people.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I can't accept the existence of a spirit without some kind of evidence.. What you are talking about is man vs his own mind.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
If the original bible was an indestructible book made of unidentifiable materials and of unknown origins I could buy the idea that it was handed to us by God.
But, in reality it turns out to be a selection of Gospels bundled together, and none of the subsequently discovered gnostic gospels are allowed entrance...

Man has clearly had their hand in the Bible, so I simply can't believe it's Gods work.
Fortunately, now I don't have to make up weird excuses for it's hypocricy, hate speech, racism and fear mongering, among others, and I can live my life knowing that God (or whatever you wish to call it) is bigger and better than that.

Creation = perfect, and we don't need anything other than what we were born with.
No church, no burka, no scriptures.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Hey Undo this is in response to the Amazing Gandhi video. I dug a little deeper and had Pen and teller hit me with the Balogyagh detector. Seems that Mr passive resistance hated Africans and referred to them as...well...I probably cant say it here. Watch the video for yourself to get hit with the full effect of the "universal love".

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

we go right back to my earlier statement that there's alot of finger pointing going on but not much self-introspection. for every finger pointed there's a bunch pointing back. what does it prove? that we can pick out the less than perfection of the human species? this is new?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I would argue that calling an entire race of human being the dirt on the bottom of your foot a far stretch from "less than perfection of the human species". I guess that Hitler gassing a few million Jews was a character flaw?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

as a christian, i've been called a moron, an idiot, delusional,
stupid, brain-washed, gullible, a hypocrite, a liar, possessing low IQ,
lack of common sense, illogical, incapable of comprehension of simple
facts, fear mongerer, and the list goes on.

see, finger pointed, bunch pointing back.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Psynarchist

I find the idea of an indestructable Bible, literally inscribed by God and handed down to Moses quite possibly the funniest thing I've heard this week.

I can just picture scientists attempting to verify the vailidity of God's word by putting it in an underground chamber and detonating a nuke on it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

well the text actually says god's word is inscribed internally, not externally. interesting that it comes from an external source, but not surprising as it makes a case for understanding that most of what happens, spiritually, is not written in a book.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I would NEVER call you any of those things as I was once a Christian myself. I would call you a fellow human being, a Earthling, A Mammal.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Lol, who hasn't (of any affiliation).

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

didn't say you did. just pointing out that making the case against hinduism or religion in general, because ghandi didn't like black people (???) is about as ludicrous as blaming all of a particular non-reliigious sect for what one person who founded it believed in. surely you've read the stories of how darwin's compadres believed black people were only 70 percent human and 30 percent monkey? that his fault? does that mean all darwinists agree that black people are not fully human? i want you think about this for a minute!

think!

never heard a monkey sing like that!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Yes, its amazing the tricks they can teach them these days, isn't it?

(jokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokej okejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejoke)

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join