It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
lets debunk ...eh punk?

Ridicule Christ over and over again...yeah so funny...hee haw.

Just dont mention Allah or Moses , or you will know the score.

Inferior people know your place

Your beliefs to us are a disgrace.

Allow us to thrive and we will allow you to stay alive.

No to your childish beliefs, we eat the weak.
Make way we are here, no vote no debate, now get out of our way.

The people who most ridicule Christ are those who call themselves Christians today.

What do you follow? Christianity or the teachings of Christ... make up our mind, they are not the same thing...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
History is rewritten by the winners. The bible is one big history book. Tampered and rewritten over and over again. I wonder how the original would have read?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This article seems to have an anti-Christian bias.

It gives a grossly inaccurate definition of the word "agnostic," making it appear more inclusive (perhaps to moderate Christians?) that what is really the case. The article also attempts to portray the faults of Christianity through one person's story, which is clearly an emotional appeal rather than "journalism." The article also fails to mention the more fringe theories about Jesus -- including that he may have never existed -- which is clearly an attempt to reach people who already have a strong opinion about Christianity, and not to report truth.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by one_man24

I already posted something like this, but I can't find it in this thread. Am I being silenced? lol. Check this out, those of you who side with Mr. Ehrman.

I have completely read and studied his book, and would agree a bit with your link. But consider this; are the writers of that link and books going against Ehrman not biased?

Think on this, why don't the Biblical scholars WHO do know what Ehrman is speaking of, make sure that their parishioners know of the discrepancies? He says in his book that many scholars know the real truth but for whatever reason keep it to themselves.

Another words, I can see an agenda with all of them. Christians have a lot to lose if more is revealed, and agnostics may also miss the boat in real understandings, as they are looking for loopholes also.

Many books were left out of the canon and more will probably be discovered, incl; if Jesus had a wife, this will indeed influence Christianity.

The Lost Gospel of Judas is eyeopening. The entire NT may need to be rewritten if more is disclosed, and who says that God won't have a handle on it? Does HE have only 1 book in him? I doubt it.

I have said before that I feel the Bible was divinely written, but to set religious mankind up to fail, and Paul was the primary tool used to do so.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

by MatrixProphet
Another words, I can see an agenda with all of them. Christians have a lot to lose if more is revealed, and agnostics may also miss the boat in real understandings, as they are looking for loopholes also.

reply to post by MatrixProphet

I agree with you here in that it seems that people are more just looking for differences to argue over than for any kind of Truth.

I have always been the kind of person that takes in all the information and 'boils it down' to what's important while leaving out dogmatic opinionated nonsense. It allows me to be a better teacher since I won't confuse my student(s) with things like, 'I've always done it this way and you should do it this way to'.

The simple Truth I have gained from the Bible is that we broke our relationship with our Creator. In order to restore that relationship God had to make a Sacrifice, NOT man. Any who are WILLING to accept God's forgiveness through that sacrifice will have a restored relationship with God. That's the good news (the gospel), and I find in it nothing negative or evil. If anyone does, please respond, I am interested in your point of view.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

The simple Truth I have gained from the Bible is that we broke our relationship with our Creator. In order to restore that relationship God had to make a Sacrifice, NOT man. Any who are WILLING to accept God's forgiveness through that sacrifice will have a restored relationship with God. That's the good news (the gospel), and I find in it nothing negative or evil. If anyone does, please respond, I am interested in your point of view.

I honestly have such different takes on the whole thing now. I don't quite look at God and the sacrifice in quite the same way. I find that there seem to be so many truths hidden in the Bible and elsewhere.

But I find no disagreement in what you are saying, just different. I am believing that the meaning of human life is different than what the Bible says, or what we have been taught, I think more is being revealed, but it was a very good starting point, but not the final say.

Supposing that we really are an experiment in God's scheme of things? That there are different levels of existences/universes with each human being given a chance and then is moved from one existence to another? This gets into quantum theory a bit, but may answer those seemingly unanswerable questions.

I would love for you to read my thread below: "Are Humans An Experiment in a Petri Dish?" - A scientific approach to explaining God and his involvement with us. Conjecture, but hopefully thought provoking, IMO.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

lets debunk ...eh punk?

Ridicule Christ over and over again...yeah so funny...hee haw.

Just dont mention Allah or Moses , or you will know the score.

Inferior people know your place

Your beliefs to us are a disgrace.

Allow us to thrive and we will allow you to stay alive.

No to your childish beliefs, we eat the weak.
Make way we are here, no vote no debate, now get out of our way.

The people who most ridicule Christ are those who call themselves Christians today.

What do you follow? Christianity or the teachings of Christ... make up our mind, they are not the same thing...

My post I see reads misleadingly due to comma mistakes and wording,I was trying to make the point that to attack Christian belief is ok, its just its not ok to attack Muslim or Jewish,hindu beliefs, that becomes racial vilfication.
If we allow only christians to be insulted then what is that?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

My post I see reads misleadingly due to comma mistakes and wording,I was trying to make the point that to attack Christian belief is ok, its just its not ok to attack Muslim or Jewish,hindu beliefs, that becomes racial vilfication.
If we allow only christians to be insulted then what is that?

Says who? I can say anything I want about Muslims, Islam Jewish beliefs...etc. Maybe where you live, you cannot. You also miss the Jewish people are a race, Judaism is a religion. I can draw a picture of moses and muhammed having sex if I want to. Who says you can't?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate
I can draw a picture of moses and muhammed having sex if I want to. Who says you can't?

Oh no you can't, here's the latest proof... "Faith Fighter" Game Unites Religions in Outrage. It's mind boggling how ridiculous people are about such things. Unless you have a death wish, you better not fool around with people's idols.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Bart Ehrman is a liar.

If you want to know the truth, check out his debate with
Dr. James White.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by holyTerror

I found the transcript (pdf) of the debate... but the audio hasn't been freely released, the religious organization that hosted the event is selling the audio for $6 per download

Though they do provide White's post-debate report in mp3 for free... part 1 & part 2

...but they don't provide a post-debate report for Ehrman.

Do i sense a bias... and see opportunistic intentions on behalf of this ministry?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
I read one of the articles that summed him up.. And it's the same thing that turned me away entirely from the christian faith. I believe this happens to a lot of people when they critically study what the bible has to say.

It's what happened to me, at least.

Being critical to a scientific standard you wouldn't have to read very far into the bible to realise it's just stories and hear-say.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

Now before the bible-thumpers rush in and attack the messenger. Consider first, this man's background, vocation and journey; a best-selling author and a professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a fixture on History Channel and Discovery Channel documentaries on Christianity. He's appeared on National Public Radio, CNN and the BBC... and his academic peers claim he is professing/sharing well established facts.

sorry nothing here God hasn't done

just another case of worshiping the creation and smackin the creator.nothing to see here.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
As soon as Princeton was mentioned, The original debunker was debunked IMO, how can you learn the Word of God in a college that stresses personal acheivement. Maybe he now thinks he is a god

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by taitaishu
History is rewritten by the winners. The bible is one big history book. Tampered and rewritten over and over again. I wonder how the original would have read?

are you saying you might think more of the bible in its original. i would've guessed the opposite. as for the NT ,(tampering) i need only site the dead sea skrolls. translates the same today as when they we're written.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

you know what pal, at least we Christians can take it. besides you havn't seen nothin yet.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Of course, the Bible is the most verified historical account in human history. For example, what we know of Alexander the Great was written four hundred years after he lived. Bible manuscripts exist that could have been written during the life of the 12 apostles. People in those days would have corrected errors in the texts or the preachings.

One of the big problems we have is the inclusion of opposing gnostics texts from the Alexandrians, a group mentioned in the New Testament for their resistance to believers. See Acts 6:9. It is no wonder that these oppositions would change the meanings of the gospels. Beware of their inclusion, as they are fundamental manuscripts due to their originality and age. See www.islamic-awareness.org... Codex Vaticanus (B) and codex Sinaiticus were included in the Catholic bible, but not the King James. Hence, the King James Version is the best to read. So, why put the corruption from the opposition into the texts?

As for some of the fundamental questions that bother people. Some argue that God lets good people and innocent people get hurt. Some argue that he is vengeful. Well, he did it to his son for your sake.

All the commandments, rules, etc. that you can find in the Bible were satisfied by Jesus for your sake. You don't have to worry about it.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Ehrman's first argument is that the copies and copies of copies of the original manuscripts were copied incorrectly, because that's human nature, and that there had to be a lot of copies of copies.

That argument is false. Here's why: An original papyrus manuscript would last up to 300 years. It would be carefully preserved and used. Between then and now, that's five copies until printing was invented.

Second, when a copy was made it was not rushed. Today is not like yesteryear. We're in a big hurry today. People took their time and did it correctly, and it was cross-checked against the original word for word, punctuation mark for punctuation mark. You can see the accuracy of the copying process by looking at our current Book of Isaiah and the one found in the 2000 year old Dead Sea Scrolls. They are virtually identical.

The selection of the books included in the Bible was done carefully in order to weed out the imposters. Today, when you find a book, like the Book of Judas (an imposter), you think you have found some new information. In fact, an imposter wrote a book for fame and fortune (sound familiar) or to destroy the Christian faith that was growing and destroying faiths around it. Paul, for example, was traveling and killing new Christians, like Stephen. Educated scholars of the day would put out texts like we have computer viruses today, attempting to destroy the faith. The church councils were correct in eliminating these fake texts.

People say there are conflicts of information in the Bible. In the four gospels, you have four different stories and different perspectives. It's as if we sent four different reporters to observe and report on the same event. Each story will come back with some exact quotes that are the same, and some points of view that enrich our understanding. For example, John emphasized the love of God. Mark emphasized the return of Jesus as the Son of Man, coming to judge the inhabitants of the Earth. Luke, a physician, was watching the details and the healings. You would not want four exact copies of the events, would you? I wouldn't. If I had four exact copies, I'd just think they copied from one text, wouldn't you?

The resurrection is amazing. Women were the on-the-scene reporters in the morning. Why women? In those days, women did not have the respect of society to be the reporting agents for any event or verifiers of the truth. If men were faking the story, they would not have used women.

There are so many things to say...and it's late and I have to get up early and drive 100 miles to go to a meeting at work.

Be patient with the Bible, and read it....not what someone says about it. Start with the book of John. God is all about love.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There are two natures represented in the Bible.

People should discern them....because both are not the nature of our most high maker of all things...the Supreme One.

Start with the OT....if you jump straight to the NT you are going to miss out and possibly never focus on the book that has mislead the masses....the OT.

When you are ready to learn of the Supreme One...yes, read the NT with discernment.

The Supreme One is in the OT a little bit...but one needs to sift through it and discovery the nature there. Sometimes in the OT the Holy Spirit is called a 'her' and 'she' representing the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There have been people from time to time that feel the need to dismiss or discredit the Bible for reasons known only to themselves. The main reason certain books were not put into the NT and some were kept out of the OT had to do with Christ. The Scholars commissioned by King James decided that the books that contained knowledge of the Savior and Lord were books that should be included into a canon for the King"s use in his court. This is why it was referred to as the "authorized version". This does not mean you cannot gain knowledge from other possible books. The book of Enoch for example is an eye opener, and also Jasher. But the point is this. The Bible is meant to point mankind to the answer for sin. death, and judgment. The answer is Jesus Christ. Because God decided mankind was unworthy to live after Adam's rebellion, all mankind dies. Yet God promised Eve a redeemer to save her and all of mankind. But to satisfy the law of God it meant that this redeemer would have to take the place and judgment of mankind in order to remove the penalty of the law for sin. So Jesus went willingly too the cross and exchanged His life there for the entire sin of the entire world past, present, and future. With this single act of love he redeemed an entire world. But God would not force salvation on anyone, so He invites us to come and receive it freely. This is where we are today. The debate goes on between the believers and the unbelievers. But the believers know their God, their Savior Jesus, and their Holy Bible. Because Jesus lives in every believer and confirms the Word of God in their hearts. Without Christ, the Bible is just a book. With Christ, it is the power of God through Christ.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Fromabove]

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Fromabove]

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join