It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cults, the Occult and New Age.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Cults, the Occult and New Age.

Which do you follow? A Cult, the Occult or are you New Age? It seems in these days of soul searching, enlightenment and awakenings we all seem to follow one or the other. It is rare to find a person who walks this path alone and is confident in this choice.

Maybe some of you have tried all three, or got caught up in one without realizing it.

From reading these definitions I see Im New Age. I didnt really like the word New Age but now Ive read what it actually means I see I am new age. I do believe in
(1) All is one, all reality is part of the whole; (2) Everything is God and God is everything; (3) Man is God or a part of God; (4) Man never dies, but continues to live through reincarnation; (5) Man can create his own reality and/or values through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness.

Cult
By its primary dictionary definition, the term cult just means a system of religious beliefs or rituals. It is based on a farming term in Latin meaning cultivation. Sociologists and anthropologists sometimes use the term cult to describe religious structure or belief patterns with meanings (usually non-pejorative) unique to their disciplines. In modern usage, the term cult is often used by the general public to describe any religious group they view as strange or dangerous. Thus, cult can describe religious leaders or organizations that employ abusive, manipulative, or illegal control over their followers’ lives. In addition to these usages, Christians generally have a doctrinal component to their use of the word. Cult in this sense, is a counterfeit or serious deviation from the doctrines of classical Christianity. Watchman Fellowship usually uses the term cult with a Christian or doctrinal definition in mind. In most cases the group claims to be Christian, but because of their aberrant beliefs on central doctrines of the faith (God, Jesus, and salvation), the organization is not considered by Watchman Fellowship to be part of orthodox, biblical Christianity. Research material and Profile are available.

Occult
The term, “occult” comes from the Latin occultus or “hidden.” Generally the word is used of secret or mysterious supernatural powers or magical, religious rituals. The word “occult” in this publication is used to describe any attempt to gain supernatural power or knowledge apart from the God of the Bible. Generally it refers to witchcraft, satanism, neo-paganism, or various forms of Psychic discernment (astrology, seances, palm reading, etc.).

New Age

New Age is a recent and developing belief system in North America encompassing thousands of autonomous (and sometime contradictory) beliefs, organizations, and events. Generally the New Age borrows its theology from pantheistic Eastern religions and its practices from 19th century Western occultism. The term “New Age” is used herein as an umbrella term to describe organizations which seem to exhibit one or more of the following beliefs: (1) All is one, all reality is part of the whole; (2) Everything is God and God is everything; (3) Man is God or a part of God; (4) Man never dies, but continues to live through reincarnation; (5) Man can create his own reality and/or values through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness. Research material and Profile are available.

www.watchman.org...

Thing is do we actually need any of these beliefs to truely find out who we are and where we are going? I find the definition of new age does sum up me and because it has no leader or master it does help the individual seek their own path.

So which are you and why?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Under these definitions I would fall into Occult, Mr. Green.

I am a Pagan who praises the Gods of my Ancestors, primarily Thor. Better then Odin, because Odin demands human sacrifice!

The reason for this is because if they were good enough for my Ancestors they are good enough for me!

I believe that the utilization of 'Runic Magic' would be considered 'Occult' by the definition of the Article but really there is not that much hidden about it other then the fact that only Males were given the secrets of the Runes but the Paganism of the North is in no way sexist as we believe that in fact Females are by far more powerful Magical Creatures and they have their own things they do but since I am not Female it doesn't really interest me.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Cunnobar the Slayer]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cunnobar the Slayer

I believe that the utilization of 'Runic Magic' would be considered 'Occult' by the definition of the Article but really there is not that much hidden about it other then the fact that only Males were given the secrets of the Runes but the Paganism of the North is in no way sexist as we believe that in fact Females are by far more powerful Magical Creatures and they have their own things they do but since I am not Female it doesn't really interest me.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Cunnobar the Slayer]

I am female and I must admit even though I state I am New Age I have looked into some of the hidden secrets. I agree just because they are hidden really does not make them occult as such. People think occult they think evil and dark but I do not think this is always the case . When things are hidden people raise questions about whats really going on I think.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ohhh..I don't really feel that there are any "hidden secrets"; just interpretations or
misinterpretations of everything. Words do get in the way.
One's path is always right under one's feet.

Peace...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"Occult
The term, “occult” comes from the Latin occultus or “hidden.” Generally the word is used of secret or mysterious supernatural powers or magical, religious rituals. The word “occult” in this publication is used to describe any attempt to gain supernatural power or knowledge apart from the God of the Bible. Generally it refers to witchcraft, satanism, neo-paganism, or various forms of Psychic discernment (astrology, seances, palm reading, etc.). "

I would fall into occult however I do not entirely agree with the links definition. It would better to to say secret or hidden knowledge. Not associating this word by definition to "witchcraft, satanism, neo-paganism, or various forms of Psychic discernment (astrology, seances, palm reading, etc.). "

Truthfully, there is no hidden or secret knowledge. Everything we need we already know. We just have to realize and find this. We block our own minds potential. We allow other influences to aide blocking our own mind from discovering are "re-discovering" what is already there. We may often seek advice or help from others to help us overcome an obstacle or mental block.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Hi Mr Green,

I find that I do not fit into any of these three categories. Am I one of these rare people, perhaps we are not so rare!
I have read extensively over the course of many years and my primary interests always have been within these fields. Of course there are no sharp dividing lines between cult, new age and occult, in many instances they overlap or even compliment each other.
I have always walked this path alone but have never found it required any over abundance of confidence indeed the thought never occurred to me!
The awakened state or awakened individuals have been a great source of inspiration for me as I progress through life but unfortunately in the flesh they turn out to be all too human.
Any spiritual development must come from within and does not fall within any category really.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well, I believe in God and I try my best to live my life according to the Bible's teachings (I really do try believe it or not!
), so I guess I don't fall into any of those categories.

Peace

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I don't follow anyone but myself.

Regarding that article I would fall into the "occult" category.

However I think, nothing is really "hidden"- the truth is out there if you are willing to seek it. Just remove the veil.

I guess I've got a bit of New Age too. And no Masters or gurus for me.

Flagged and Starred.

[edit on 15/5/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I am a Pagan who is looking to learn more every day. I do not fall into any categories or labels, as that is what society wants.

I was raised Catholic, but started to question much of what is taught. One cannot question the dogma, just accept it. If anyone does not follow their rules, they will go to Hell. Any questions on spirituality seem to be dismissed, and any other ideas such as reincarnation or talk of the early Goddesses that were worshiped is strictly forbidden.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

Hi Mr Green,

I find that I do not fit into any of these three categories. Am I one of these rare people, perhaps we are not so rare!
I have read extensively over the course of many years and my primary interests always have been within these fields. Of course there are no sharp dividing lines between cult, new age and occult, in many instances they overlap or even compliment each other.
I have always walked this path alone but have never found it required any over abundance of confidence indeed the thought never occurred to me!
The awakened state or awakened individuals have been a great source of inspiration for me as I progress through life but unfortunately in the flesh they turn out to be all too human.
Any spiritual development must come from within and does not fall within any category really.

I think your right, I think all these categories overlap. Ive experienced cults, ive experienced the occult and Ive experienced new age and fallen within it,but none are the wrong path as long as they are right for us at that moment. The truth comes when we can accept another who follows a totally different path to us. Infact I even think we can learn from others paths very much because maybe all paths arnt that different from one another.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl
I don't follow anyone but myself.

However I think, nothing is really "hidden"- the truth is out there if you are willing to seek it. Just remove the veil.

I guess I've got a bit of New Age too. And no Masters or gurus for me.

You will go far !! With no guru and no master you will be your own master before you know it!! If only i could be so wise LOL
Maybe one day hey. I do believe the future is within with no master or guru, but that often is not easy but Im working on it. Much respect to you.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Same back at you Mr Green! - yes! we are in charge of our destiny and no one can tell us what to do (or what to think/believe) but the voice within.

For me so far it's been a wild ride!. I've learnt so much, and it all has been positive in the end.

But I know, I still have a long path "to travel". (always trusting my intuition which just keeps pushing me in the "right way".
)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl

What exactly of the Occult has helped you to remove the veil? Im just really interested in how each of us finds their truth. You dont have to mention specific techniques if you dont want to but just what it is about the Occult that has helped you.

For me so far it's been a wild ride!. I've learnt so much, and it all has been positive in the end.

You and a lot of others too from what I can see!! Some find the path smooth and easy but like you I have found it a little wild too. I think as long as we learn and make it a positive experience then it doesnt matter how we get there.

Maybe a little from all three definitions helps, who knows. Thanks for the S & F

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I walk alone, I have tried the other paths you mentioned and they were full of lies and manipulation, most of all people who all claim they are better than you and you have to follow their rules to become as good as or better than them. I follow no god because I am free/awake. I follow no guru or teacher because I am both of them: I am everything I ever need in life. I am neither good nor evil, but I am that balance in between.

I walk alone so I needn't trust anyone or create expectations of them, I walk alone so I learn from my own observation, insight and analysis: the more I learn from somebody else (guru/teacher) the more asleep I become. Most of all I walk alone so I don`t influence other peoples beliefs, I understand beliefs change like everything else in the world unlike many who cling to beliefs like money.

Good post S&F

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamNow
I walk alone, I have tried the other paths you mentioned and they were full of lies and manipulation, most of all people who all claim they are better than you and you have to follow their rules to become as good as or better than them. I follow no god because I am free/awake. I follow no guru or teacher because I am both of them: I am everything I ever need in life. I am neither good nor evil, but I am that balance in between.

Good post S&F

Hi thanks for the S & F. I understand why you say the three paths I have listed can be full of lies and manipulation, theres good and bad in all of them. As I say I have tryed all three and have settled into new age mainly because you can just follow it using your inner voice. In the points below which do you think are open to lies and manipulation ?

(1) All is one, all reality is part of the whole; (2) Everything is God and God is everything; (3) Man is God or a part of God; (4) Man never dies, but continues to live through reincarnation; (5) Man can create his own reality and/or values through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness.

I guess the realities through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness could be open to abuse . many different forms of meditation/trance would fit into the catagory of altered states of consciousness but I cant see how else we can reach altered states of reality.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

As I say I have tryed all three and have settled into new age mainly because you can just follow it using your inner voice

Too an extent, the New Age people I have spoken to always resort back to analyzing other peoples beliefs. All it takes is a bad day in the office.

In the points below which do you think are open to lies and manipulation ?

(1) All is one, all reality is part of the whole;

All is one, you sure that's not part of the illusion. The above statement may as well say "You have nothing or nobody else, this is it nothing to see here go back to sleep"

(2) Everything is God and God is everything;

Then there is no God.

(3) Man is God or a part of God;

God is the biggest illusion to date in my own opinion, so is the devil.

(4) Man never dies, but continues to live through reincarnation;

I would like somebody to prove this, oh I forgot "Nobody can"

(5) Man can create his own reality and/or values through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness.

Yet man blames god for so many things, mans own illusion.

So if God created man who created God?

^^MAN^^ It's part of the illusion

[edit on 16-5-2009 by IamNow]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Hello again Mr Green,

May I offer some thoughts on the above post?
(1) “All is one, all reality is part of the whole,” This statement does not really make sense. All reality is what is, how then can it be part of something?
(2) “Everything is god and god is everything,” Is a rather circular sentence with both halves saying the same thing. Why is this required?
(3) “Man is God or a part of God,” This depends on your definition of God.
(4) “Man never dies, but continues to live through reincarnation,” Many people have tried to find any evidence or confirmation of past lives, all have failed.
(5) “Man can create his own reality and/or values through transformed consciousness or altered states of consciousness.” How do we define the difference between “transformed” and “altered”? Do we not always create our own version of reality?

All of the above points you have mentioned are open to lies and manipulation. It all depends on the context or the system in which they are used!

We reach altered states of reality through self transformation.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by midicon]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

We reach altered states of reality through self transformation.

love that line
good post

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

Thanks IamNow,

I don't need an avatar either!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I had twelve years of Catholic school, achieved awareness through formal education involving philosophy & art history, personal adventures into the occult, psychology, new age, and like so many others, now I just follow my own path. Many years of following the paths of others, learning about other cultures and religions, and reading a myriad of books on spiritualism and psychology from Carlos Castanda to Dr. Scott Peck, and many others - for awhile there – it seemed as if my mind had been put in a blender set on high puree.

Today, I’ve taken bits and pieces of all I’ve learned and created my own personally tailored understanding of the truth as I know it so far. I believe I’ll always have more to learn and ways to grow. I *run* from anyone or anything that claims to have all the answers.

More and more science is becoming incorporated into my spirituality with M theory and inter-dimensionality.

Thanks for to the OP & replies thus far. Enjoyable!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join