It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Families will be spending time together - scrabble anyone ? Type A personalities will be winding down with a good book - People will be cooking their own meals instead of going to restaurants - With the dark - comes light ~

Possibly the best post in the three main threads I have been watching today on this subject... *Bump*

www.cdc.gov...

Operator: THE NEXT IS FROM MAGGIE FOX FROM REUTERS. YOUR LINE IS OPEN
>> HI, THANKS VERY MUCH. DR. SCHUCHAT, YOU SAID AT THE VERY BEGINNING THAT YOU WERE TAKING MEASURES TO CONTAIN. DR. BESSER SAID IT CAN'T BE CONTAINED. I WANT TO BE CLEAR ON WHAT CAN AND CAN'T BE DONE TO CONTROL THE SPREAD.
>> LET ME CLARIFY THAT VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE. WHEN WE TALKED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTAIN THIS THE OTHER DAY, WHAT WE MEANT IS THAT WE CANNOT STOP THIS AT THE BORDER. WE HAVE INFECTIONS IN MANY STATES, AND IN MEXICO, THE INFECTIONS ARE IN SEVERAL STATES, AND SO WE DON'T THINK THAT WE CAN QUENCH THIS IN MEXICO OR IN, YOU KNOW, IF IT'S IN MANY COMMUNITIES RIGHT NOW, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAN DIEGO AND TEXAS, FOR INSTANCE, WE DIDN'T THINK WE COULD CONTAIN WHERE THE VIRUS IS, BUT WE THINK THERE'S A LOT WE CAN DO TO LIMIT THE IMPACT ON HEALTH, AND TO SLOW TRANSMISSION IN TERMS OF WORKING AGGRESSIVELY WHEN WE FIND NEW AREAS THAT HAVE INFECTIONS TO MAKE SURE THAT PATIENTS WHO ARE ILL ARE TREATED AND ISOLATED, THAT THEY DON'T INFECT OTHER PEOPLE, AND TO TAKE, HAVE PEOPLE TAKE PRECAUTIONS WHEN THEY DEVELOP SYMPTOMS TO STAY HOME WHEN YOU'RE ILL, NOT GET ON AN AIRPLANE OR A PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, TO COUGH, WHEN YOU COUGH OR SNEEZE, TO COVER THAT, AND NOT INFECT OTHER PEOPLE, AND YOU KNOW, THE BASICS OF REALLY WASHING YOUR HANDS A LOT. SO THERE'S A LOT YOU CAN DO TO REDUCE THE SPREAD OF RESPIRATORY INFECTION AND THE WAY THAT THESE INFECTIOUS DISEASES WE THINK THE FLOW IN TRANSMISSION CAN HAVE EXCELLENT IMPACT ON HEALTH AND THAT'S REALLY WHAT WE'RE FOCUSING ON NOW. I HOPE THAT CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TOTALLY STOPPING IT AT THE BORDER AND REALLY AGGRESSIVELY RESPONDING WHEREVER WE FIND IT. >> MAGGIE, DO YOU HAVE A FOLLOW-UP?
>> I DO. I JUST WANT TO CLARIFY, TOO, THAT THE RECOMMENDATION IS NOT TO DO THINGS LIKE STOPPING FLIGHTS AND CLOSING BORDERS, CORRECT?
>> THAT'S CORRECT. WE ARE NOT DOING THAT. WE'RE MAKING SURE PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THE SITUATION IN THE COMMUNITIES THAT ARE AFFECTED, AND THAT PEOPLE ARE TAKING PRECAUTIONS TO REDUCE THEIR CHANCE OF ILLNESS, AND REDUCE THEIR SPREAD OF INFECTION, IF THEY HAVE SYMPTOMS.

I agree completely with this as I stated earlier in this thread... Closing international borders, restricting travel, and all the other possible draconian possibilities will not work... It needs to be addressed on a local level with federal supervision and guidance... At least by the gov't and every individual needs to be aware and take personal precautions(which are outlined by the gov't) that THEY FEEL are necessary for their situation... Stay Alert Stay Alive...

~ LeAto

*edited for cdc transcript information*

[edit on 26-4-2009 by LeAto]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Definetly doesnt make sense at all that its killing in Mexico yet here its just a piece of cake run of the mill flu symptoms.

I wanna hear more on why.

Whats the world coming to these days.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

www.cdc.gov...

There are 3 questions/Answers in the transcript relating to age brackets and why there are no US fatalities as of yet... The basic run down is that there number of infected in the US is too small and they seem to be outside of the age bracket for those at highest risk 20-35...

~ LeAto

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Jess,

They are further into thier outbreak and as noted before many just thought they had a cold. Thats not to say that the regular flu cannot kill though.

If Mexico is one of the epicenters for the outbreak, it stands to reason that they would be hit the hradest first. One CDC spokeman has already said its just a matter of time before we get the first reports of death here int he US.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

If your going to Qurantine Mexico, then why not the U.S? It is in several states now so cannot be stopped if it aggresively spreads itself.

Exactly .

It would seem the genie is out of the bottle .

Airports are the real worry both in relation to internal flights within the U.S and international flights.

Ain`t globalisation fun

A pig coughs in Mexico and the ramifications could be global .

All joking aside , there may be something good to come out of the fact that the American`s suffering from this swine flu do not seem to be effected as badly , why ? .

I know vaccinations are not the flavour of the month on ATS , but is it possible that the American citizens are benefiting from some heretofore unknown benefit from inoculation (for something else), that Mexican citizens do not receive.
Just a speculative punt .

Well - while I usually like to see people happy and optimistic - if youv'e read the inside story from Dr's in Mexico - you should be concerned for your own life.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Some body was crying wolf all these days(NWO) when the wolf really comes no body wants to talk about it

Mod edit: Please no rows of emoticons and all contributions posted here should push forward the discussion.

[edit on 4/26/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NATIVO
The U.S is not reporting or testing properly. Out of the hundred plus kids sick a St Francis only 9 were even tested for swine flu! The rest were only tested for regular flu and they were positive. How are we supposed to have an accurate count if they are not even testing everyone involved in a large group outbreak?

Well, God bless you . You don't need an accurate count. What does your gut tell you?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
Definetly doesnt make sense at all that its killing in Mexico yet here its just a piece of cake run of the mill flu symptoms.

I wanna hear more on why.

Whats the world coming to these days.

the advantage the US has is the health system no matter how much it's criticized. doctors are much more afraid here of being sued for malpractice so they prescribe antivirals and antibiotics much sooner and more often than needed. in mexico the medical system sucks as bad as the other public services and people are not used to calling their docs for each and every ache.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What I have to say creeps me the heck out is that a few weeks ago I was at the doctor for my constant sinus infections. The nurse was talking about how there haven't been half the flu cases as there normally is and that she was really happy about it. Now we have this new case of swine flu that I personally think has the ability to cause panic if things don't change for the better.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
[edit on 26-4-2009 by son of PC]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I was watching the local news and they said my county had a possible case. They really didn't say anything else, which is worrying because the biggest thing in this county is my college. Which has somewhere near 20,000 students.

Oh, and a doctor was on the air and saying this was nothing to worry about and that is wasn't so bad. I really don't know how to feel about that. I mean, I'm not going to panic, but I don't know how much time I want to spend on Campus tomorrow.

By the way; I'm in Ohio. NW Ohio, so it's different from the Columbus case if this turns out to be true.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
From the article itself it would appear to only be fatal to mexicans and only gives a mild case of the flu to others.

Yep. It puts me in mind of a publication, which used to be carried on the old PNAC website. The website is no longer usable, however, it talked about creating geno specific bioweapons.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here in the US, we are conditioned to believe that missing work is a bad thing...I read on another thread someone said if you are sick, stay home! That is easier said than done, especially in these hard economic times.
I went to work last week and got very ill and had to leave...went straight to the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia. My doctor gave me a written note to take to my boss saying the she recommend several days of bed rest.
I was called everynight to see if I thought I would feel like coming in the next day...I ended up going back to work before I felt like it because I felt pressured...when you have a family to feed and on top of that are made to feel guilty about staying home its not so easy to do...just my 2 pennies...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Now we have confirmed cases in Canada, of the swine flu. Some have been found in Nova Scotia. My sister just flew in from Nova Scotia yesterday...superb....
My mom and brother both are whining about a sore throat and body aches. Even more superb.....
I highly doubt it's got anything to do with my sister though....or swine flu....
But with everything going on you're naturally going to want to keep an eye on it.

My sister has been sick almost constantly since she moved out there, cold, flu, cold, flu, like every 2 weeks or so, something new....it would only seem right that if anyone catches the nastier strains eventually, it would be HER of all people lol. That said, maybe it's a GOOD thing she is here, and not there right now.
I haven't heard any reports of anything in Ontario yet, but I haven't checked it out or tried to hard to read what's going on. Too tired, saving that for tomorrow.....but I hope it's all so far so good, here.

There was a whole family on TV today interviewed, and a family member called me down to tell me about it/watch..... One person brought it home, sick with it from who knows where and then the entire family caught it. It was confirmed as swine flu. They all got better and their descriptions of it sounded like ANY damned flu. I dunno....I mean, I hope that for the majority of cases, it's pretty much like just getting that years most popular bug from hell, and then moving on with life as normal.....like I would after exam week every December and April

But otherwise, it's being made to seem like something horrendous and scary and I dunno what to think.

I am going to pop in at work and get my messages from the organizations' intranet (can't access any documents or info I'm sent, here at my home internet, have to go to the office....) and see if they have anything new and exciting to tell us.
Last time we had a meeting about the whole flu issue and protocol for dealing with the community, our site, and related issues..... they were saying how we're probably going to have blackouts and no place to buy food hardly because of all the employees being sick, that I might get locked in my workplace and be 'required' (i say forced/manipulated into) taking whatever medications they decide we employees have to take, in front of nurses and sh*t like this....
We won't be allowed to let anyone out and all this crap.
I hope that's all overkill, worst case scenario, unlikely to ever occur sort of stuff, because they'll have to whip out guns or cuff me to a doorknob before I'm letting anyone lock me inside and feed me pills...gaawd....that's completely wrong on so many levels.

The other thing is, is that they are very soon to make flu shots mandatory, and with this occurring, it's bound to happen even sooner. Ughh.....
I already let them convince me I needed to have all these vaccines and stuff updated that I don't really agree with, and let them do it anyway, because I needed the damn job. It doesn't sit right with me, and I didn't want to have to do any more....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
People in Mexico dying of secondary infection. Pneumonia.

Really.

If this is manufactured flu outbreak. Well, they failed.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by son of PC]

link   

This happens all the time, often a virus or bacteria will need a certain environment to work - Europe is for instance too cold for many of the worlds common illnesses to take hold.

Plus of course remember that the genetic pool of mexico is different to the genetic pool of america, maybe north americans have more of an immunity to this form of illness.

AND also it's possible that this flu only kills people who already have some other problem or illness.

and of course america is a much richer nation, i think simple antibiotics work on this according to reports plus because scientists have a vax which works on the whole strain many americans are already safe.

one thing i wonder, wouldn't a government maybe like to trick anyone who doesn't trust them into NOT taking the preventative vaccine and then release a illness which kills anyone not vaccinated? The people that die are those most sure the government are evil plus it will act as a lesson to the remaining sheeple..... the deeper you go the darker it gets. ha plus they get to say 'this is because mexico isn't part of america, lets have the amero'

link   
reply to post by ShadowEyes

Yep. It puts me in mind of a publication, which used to be carried on the old PNAC website. The website is no longer usable, however, it talked about creating geno specific bioweapons.

Could you possibly elaborate on this?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
and of course america is a much richer nation, i think simple antibiotics work on this according to reports plus because scientists have a vax which works on the whole strain many americans are already safe.

Its a virus so antibiotics would have no effect on it. Tamiflu et al. are anti virals. I wonder if interferon has been tried?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

"...wouldn't a government maybe like to trick anyone who doesn't trust them into NOT taking the preventative vaccine and then release a illness which kills anyone not vaccinated? The people that die are those most sure the government are evil plus it will act as a lesson to the remaining sheeple...."

Dammit.......my head is going to spin and crack off now.....lolol.....

You never know.
But since I hate needles I would prefer to think that vaccines are an evil conspiracy to manipulate and weaken our bodies.....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Mexico receiving 205 million in Flu aid. How interesting. I had only a few seconds dont know if this has been posted its UK info. I have not seen on USA news.
Maybe Bottomma (obama) said hey Felipe to recover from this Drug cartel issue you need a emergency. Then you can get a loan!
A few deaths a mild engeneered flu and 205 million later. Help distract from USA economy. That works for both of us.

Just a thought.www.guardian.co.uk...

Edited by me for being retarded tonight.
[edit on 26-4-2009 by saralee]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join