It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

US declares public health emergency for swine flu

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging new swine flu, much like the government does to prepare for approaching hurricanes.

Officials reported 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild — and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.

"As we continue to look for cases, we arWASHINGTON – The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging ne
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Given the reports of outbreaks in NYC now and 5 states total im not surprised. However, I strongly believe that the US should restrict border crossings as the panic spreads in mexico and people start moving north.

Also HLS has released 12 million doses of Tamiflu from its stockpiles to the 5 states with cases. Hang onto your hats its going to be interesting

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I agree about the border. But, I think if it has hit this many people in the U.S. it will only spread to more and more people now.

This will be an interesting story to follow.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would suggest a full quarantine of the Mexican nation, however brutal that may be. No one leaves Mexico until it is lifted, no exports, nothing can leave.

Things can go in and regular communications can be made to and from there, just that no one leaves or any material goods under any circumstances.

I would expect that things here in the US can more easily be contained with following proper procedures. While we move to contain things leaving Mexico, we can send in needed personnel, supplies, money, etc. until they can get this thing under control down there.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Although I would agree that a quarantine is warranted, I don't think it should be the whole nation. The most effected areas such as Mexico City and others should be quarantined but other parts of the nation that are otherwise "healthy" should be able to come and go as they please.

Let's not forget this is still in it's early stages. We might see this thing die off completely in a few weeks, just like SARS did a few years ago.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

If your going to Qurantine Mexico, then why not the U.S? It is in several states now so cannot be stopped if it aggresively spreads itself.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I would agree it would be needed to quarantine the US as much as Mexico, so far we only have confirmed cases in a few locations. There are more cases in Mexico since that's where it started.
The ones here in the States can be more easily taken care of by restricting the people with the confirmed cases to isolated centers until all is said and done. Can you say FEMA camps?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is the real story. Was wondering what they were trying to hide with the torture stories. Keep an eye on this, and be sure to get you vitamins. Def. something to be concerned about.. Any virus that scares the cdc, is something to be concerned about..

Good luck everyone...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

It is very difficult to impossible to actually contain an outbreak like this, the only hope there is it that it dies out naturally. Now i am not convinced it is a staged event although it is a possability. I would think if it were staged the virus would have kept its strength and not weaken as it appears to have in crossing the border to the U.S and other reported cases round the world.

I suppose its too early to tell and it may well mutate into a more virulant strain again at any point. Lets just hope it doesn't.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
QUESTION for anyone to answer ...

I read elsewhere that Obama owns stock in (Ill. based) Baxter and that Baxter makes flu vaccines. I have googled it and searched and can't find info on it. Anyone know about this?

Is Baxter working on a vaccination for this swine/avian/human hybrid flu that is making the rounds????

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

If your going to Qurantine Mexico, then why not the U.S? It is in several states now so cannot be stopped if it aggresively spreads itself.

Exactly .

It would seem the genie is out of the bottle .

Airports are the real worry both in relation to internal flights within the U.S and international flights.

Ain`t globalisation fun

A pig coughs in Mexico and the ramifications could be global .

All joking aside , there may be something good to come out of the fact that the American`s suffering from this swine flu do not seem to be effected as badly , why ? .

I know vaccinations are not the flavour of the month on ATS , but is it possible that the American citizens are benefiting from some heretofore unknown benefit from inoculation (for something else), that Mexican citizens do not receive.
Just a speculative punt .

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

You will have to keep in mind how different the environments are in Mexico and the USA regions that have been infected. The warmer climates may be what the virus needs in order to be effective whereas it may lose it's strength as it moves northward to cooler climates in the States. So it may not even be losing it's strength but just that it's not as effective here.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Its a little late for quarantine procedures at national levels... 4-7 day incubation times... Flight attendants to Heathrow already testing positive for an Influenza-A strain... First cases in Mexico being reported back in late march... Potential cases in NZ...(citations for all this info can be found within the www.abovetopsecret.com... from who/cdc/national ministries of health, sorry for being lazy and not reciting them all directly here for you) Local containment procedures should be implemented in accordance with cdc guidelines... If this is going to be a firestorm of sorts then its already to late to think about national quarantines for the US and Mexico, all it will do is further terrify the general populace and make the economic hardships already being faced more difficult to overcome...

~ LeAto

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
From the article itself it would appear to only be fatal to mexicans and only gives a mild case of the flu to others.

20 people in the US with a mild case and dozens killing in Mexico and the authorities can't explain why.

This looks like a practice run on a small scale which will only effect a small number of the population but give a good indication of just how fast a new virus can spread even when trying to contain it.

I am either becoming more paranoid or more aware of what is happening around me.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I was thinking earlier about why the flu isn't deadly here.. Is there a possibility that its because of the difference in temperature? Its hotter in Mexico then it is in Ohio or New York (usually). Could there be a possibility that this flu will become as deadly as Mexico's when the weather warms up for the summer??? I know that germs spread in warmer temps, could the cold weather be the only thing saving us right now?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Can anyone try to think of any products that both countries use that can possibly pass on the virus. Im also guessing people should not eat pork since it was passed on by a pig from what i was told. i will try googe and see if any products come up that both countries share that maybe we can avoid using or eating. It believe something is contaminated i dont know if its the food or water or medicine but something has been tampered with that everyone is using and not realizing they are getting sick after using or eating a cetain product. I am in nyc and i am feeling very sick today. Does anyone know the symptons of this virus?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Fatalities in Mexico seem to be more oriented towards lack of access to health care as opposed to say a genetic factor etc.

Mexico gets a alot of bad press buts it does posses a modern health care system but a huge chunk of its population may not be able to access it is the real issue.

Also while climate may be making a difference more liekly they are simply further into thier outbreak than we are.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cowboy18o
Can anyone try to think of any products that both countries use that can possibly pass on the virus.

*SNIP*

I am in nyc and i am feeling very sick today. Does anyone know the symptons of this virus?

You cannot get the flu from eating pork. The virus is transmitted via the respiratory system (Droplets)

The symptoms are the same for the regular flu. Fever, aches, coughing, lethargy etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Quarantines do not work. The human condition will not allow it. No one wants to be around sick people; hence the rage and violence to get away.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LeAto

If my memory serves me, you have technical knowledge in these matters?

Doesn`t the influenza virus have a waxy coating that hardens in the lower temperature, protecting it when outside the body.

forgive me if i`m way out on that .

[edit on 26-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join