It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

CALM DOWN.

In 1976 there was a massive panic after military recruits suffered an outbreak of swine flu, and the ford admin rushed out a vaccine program that touched 40 million americans....and there was an epidemic of related guillane barre (autoimmune acute demyelinating polyneuropathy, with ascending paralysis) leading to lawsuits.

So being wary of the government is good. Be even more afraid of panic!

[edit on 4/27/2009 by drphilxr]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Well I was going outside to cook,,,,,,,

Posting a source I will not............I don't think you understand exactly what is happening and the risk if you ask for such a source.

Google how many microbiologist have died over the last 10 years......

Get my drift????

No, I had this info since Saturday evening...........

You can take my info or dismiss it..........

God Speed To All

link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
Five suspected swine flu cases have been found in Switzerland

One doesn't "find" a suspected case.

One "suspects" a pre-existing "case".

-

link   
www.nytimes.com...

A decent article on the possibilities and obviously the "fears" of it all...today's edition so at least New Yorkers might get a clue.

link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Can I just say I do have a contact high up in the medical/social work profession who has been at his desk since 9.00 am this morning (15 hours) working towards finding a way of guaranteeing dissabled people will be able to get through whatever is coming. He obviously has contacts who will give him info long before we get it. When i asked him his thoughts he replied " whats gonna happen? your guess is as good as mine"...thats the info i would expect from people right now.

Its a wait and see game. When decisions need made, we will make them for ourselves and our families.

Respects

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

ok, PLEASE prove what you have just stated because that is really scary. Not that I totally trust what our government does, but this is no time for random, second hand information.

thanks

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by drphilxr

I hope that you hit the wrong button for that reply to me.... I am calm... I was calmly asking someone who just made some serious proclamations about information that cannot be verified, to back up their claim...

You can't just come here and say "I was told 'blank' by high official 'blank'", and not expect some questions.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 13Etznab

This is why we should close our borders with Mexico RIGHT NOW!!!!

Mexicans take swine flu lightly on U.S. border
27 Apr 2009 20:57:09 GMT
Source: Reuters
TIJUANA, Mexico, April 27 (Reuters) - Many Mexicans crossing into the United States on Monday at one of the busiest crossings on the border shunned advice to wear surgical face mask to curb the spread of a deadly new flu.
Most Mexican immigration officials at the Tijuana-San Diego crossing were using masks and surgical gloves, but Mexicans crossing by car and foot seemed unconcerned by the influenza scare and only a handful wore masks.
"I don't think anything will happen to me, it's old people and children we need to look after," said Gloria, a 35-year-old woman waiting to cross by car into California who declined to give her last name.
Many of the up to 149 people who have died of the new virus in Mexico have actually been aged between 25 and 45, a worrying sign as pandemics tend to target healthy young adults.
The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert level to phase 4 over the flu virus as infections of the new strain spread to the United States, Canada and Europe.
U.S. Border and Customs Protection agents checking vehicles were equipped with masks and were checking travelers for symptoms. "We are isolating travelers with symptoms, offering them masks and alerting health authorities," said a customs spokesman at the San Ysidro crossing into California.
There are currently no travel restrictions between the United States and Mexico, the U.S. consulate in the northern city of Monterrey said on Monday, although Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged caution in traveling to Mexico.
Many residents of Mexico's densely populated capital, Mexico City, spent the weekend hunkered at home or went out wearing face masks distributed by soldiers.
In the northern business city of Monterrey, hundreds of people lined up at pharmacies to buy packs of face masks after initially playing down the threat of contagion from other parts of Mexico. (Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz in Tijuana, Alejandro Bringas in Ciudad Juarez and Robin Emmott in Monterrey; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Good News from North Dakota

SD suspected swine flu cases test negative

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The state Health Department reports this evening that both the possible cases of swine flu in South Dakota tested negative.

Both people involved are adults who recently traveled to Mexico, where 1,600 infections have been reported. The state did not disclose the location of the cases.

link   

Thanks again...I am assimilating all the info I can and trying to share what seems to be "valid" on both sides with as many of my friends and family as possible.
What they choose to do or believe it up to them but I am trusting my "gut" on this and right now I'm jumpy about it all.
Best to you and yours.

link   

Well that's a classic troller line. Good job mate, I'm sure your source is very happy with your level of discretion.

Pleaser refrain from doom and glooming if you cannot provide sources for your information, it's a waste of time.

~Keeper

link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

Well I was going outside to cook,,,,,,,

Posting a source I will not............I don't think you understand exactly what is happening and the risk if you ask for such a source.

Google how many microbiologist have died over the last 10 years......

Get my drift????

No, I had this info since Saturday evening...........

You can take my info or dismiss it..........

God Speed To All

Oh, I get the drift.... the drift is you have no source.

IF you had that information since saturday, it would have been the VERY FIRST THING you would have said in this thread.

So yes, I do dismiss it.... as does most everyone who will read it.

Enjoy your cookout.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mommy4life

It was on WIBC this morning and on my local email alert from WIBC, that some samples had been sent. I was out when the evening news came on and haven't heard anything more?... It also doesn't say, so far, on the sites that I googles about where these samples were taken from...

maybe it is updated by now?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by Vitchilo

very good, i estimated about 10% mortality in the mexico cases early on.

There are many theories why, but no one is sure why the mortality in

mexico is that, while not one death out of 20 confirmed cases here. Maybe

time will tell.

Pure conjecture, but it is possible that if you were to contract this strain

now that it would be mild and self-limiting, so that in 14 days you would

have circulating antibodies to it...such that if it the strain shifts/drifts in 4

weeks into a more lethal Tamiflu RESISTANT form, you would be protected

before any vaccine makes it to market! At this point, be thankful its mild, and

tamiflu susceptible...

You should keep in mind that the numbers out of Mexico don't include the mild cases since those don't go to the hospital. So the actual mortality rate will be lower.

As for why there haven't been any deaths outside of Mexico...I'm sticking with my original argument of % and #'s of infected.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thank God for some good news in this mess...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Who knows the real number of cases that are out there. I have been very ill since Saturday with all the symptoms. I don't think I have it, but I have something bad. I called my doctor this morning to get in to see him. I explained all my symptoms to the nurse. She said she would speak to the doctor and return my call. Nothing back from them all day. That tells me they are too busy to be able to handle what is happening. I'm sure there are many people who need to be tested but can't because they can't get in anywhere.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

California

Health officials confirm 11 swine flu cases in California; Santa Clara County testing 12 samples

State health officials say there are now 11 confirmed, and two probable, cases of swine flu in California, and warned that many more cases are certain to emerge in the coming days.

They said they are well prepared, through testing and treatment, to respond to the epidemic in coming months.

In Santa Clara County, public health officials said they are testing 12 samples and hope to have tentative results later today.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowmantn

Somehow I would not take no for an answer on this one. I would just show up at the hospital and cough on the doctor, tell him to test me while he's testing himself.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Does anyone have any smart ideas on what people can do to be safe and maybe a good list of foods,herbs,vitamins ect. that people should be taking/eating that will help against this stuff?

What we NEED is a good plan that people can go by. Folks here in arizona are starting to panic and yet most people dont really know what steps they should be taking to ensure their safety. Any ideas?

Those pile of coffins in north phoenix are not putting anyone at ease!

[edit on 27-4-2009 by trig_grl]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowIntelligence
Okay. I written this to another thread too, but I copy this to here. So, we're speaking about "fast" and "deadly" flu.

Just in the U.S. 36000 people dies from flue every year, which makes 98 death per calendar day. So, I'm wondering why they ringed the alarm, when officially 170 poor mexican died and 1000 got the flu within few days? If we're following the upper scheme, 170 american could die within two calendar days from a standard flu and that's the average. So, what makes this flu to different and special in the eyes of the government and the media? If we do the math, this pandemic is "officially" quite slower then any of the standard flu.

I believe this is one of the proof that this H1N1 flu is quite greater then any of us could imagine and the death toll is quite greater then as any government admits.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ShadowIntelligence]

Here is my concern you are looking at 36,000 deaths (1 year US) with over 30 million cases reported. That as a percentage works out to 0.12 of one percent of deaths. Now look to this outbreak in Mexico. By their numbers 2000 in the hospital, 1000 released, 200 DEAD. A very scary 10% mortality rate
This is a serious threat. If we hit pandemic levels, well you get the picture. And these numbers are likely softened to quell panic.

And I agree the government down there is manipulating the numbers. Look what happened to their markets in one day, imaging after ten days what their economy will look like. I expect doubling of numbers daily for at least 4 more days. And if the people say isolated and may clear. If they continue doubling past the fourth day we are all in trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join