It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
ADMIN NOTICE

Swine Flu New Topics "Firehose"
Given the significant rise in interest by members and visitors in Swine Flu topics, we've established a new "Swine Flu Firehose" that displays all new threads discussing the possible pandemic.

Swine Flu Forum Summary
We've also renamed our "Bird Flu" forum to "Swine Flu and Other Diseases and Pandemics" to accommodate the massive influx of new topics. Visit the forum summary for a look at all the popular and important topics that are being discussed on ATS.

So here, I'm making an official thread so we can all post infos and updates...

So my info, someone I know received an email from the International Society for Infectious Diseases saying that at least 500 employees in the health sector in the Federal District have been infected with influenza virus...meaning a human to human spreading, probably by air.

I will post more infos later.

Mexican Swine Flu-An Advanced Biowar Event

Mexico fights swine flu with 'pandemic potential'

NY Post 75 children sick

New flu with high mortality rate spreading in Mexico

CDC: Swine flu seen in 2 California children

Seven People in U.S. hit by Strange New Swine Flu

New flu combines pig, bird, human virus

Forecast of Grattan Woodson, MD - 210 millions deaths

It may sound like the plot of a sci-fi thriller — but it’s what would happen if the 1918 Spanish Flu that decimated the world happened today.

Texas teen is one of eight in US diagnosed with swine flu

So this flu is in New York, California, Texas and Mexico.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

Mod edit: removed the words "The Official..." from the title

[edit on 26 Apr 09 by Gools]

[edit on 27-4-2009 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Deadly new flu strain threatens Mexico, U.S.

* New mixture of viruses in flu never seen before

* Person-to-person spread raises fear of major outbreak

* Mexico says death rate has steadied, hands out masks

* WHO says Mexico, U.S. well-equipped to handle outbreak

The World Health Organization said the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients was the same genetically as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas who later recovered.

The Mexican government said the flu had killed 20 people and it may also be responsible for 48 other deaths. In all, 1,004 suspected cases have been reported nationwide.

So no real pandemic yet.

If at least the real outbreak was a zombie outbreak it would be fun... a flu outbreak is not fun.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What makes this one more official than the earlier larger posts that are being updated?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Make sure to watch RSOE EDIS Emergency and Disaster Website it will visually show the migration of this pandemic.

I believe this is the work of man, not nature. I can't believe this complex and far reaching of a genetic hybrid just so happened...

Be smart, be safe.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And I guess we've finally found out what happens when "Pigs Fly"
...keep up your sense of humour, when all is said and done, laughter can be the best medicine...

~Holly

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Baxter to work to contain Mexico flu outbreak

Baxter is the company who shipped contaminated bird flu last month in eastern europe.. that and HIV.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Canada: Flights to Mexico canceled due to swine influenza outbreak after Canadian citizen contracts "influenza virus."

Indicator pattern similarities to the 1957 and 1968 pandemics, SARS

To date, there have been more than 800 suspected cases with 60 deaths in the Mexico City area. -WHO

And more info on the New York school infected:

Queens: Several Students Affected with Influenza-Like Illness at St. Francis Preparatory School “Recently” Visited Mexico

WHO considering whether measures including travel advisories, trade restrictions and border closures will need to be enacted

The economy will not like that.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

This link is broken; do you have another? I have tried a few, but nothing is working!?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Maybe it's under server load, that is the correct URL for that emergency site, strange timing that it's down. I have been using it to track the spread. It's down for me right now as well, it should be back up soon as they realize it's down.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
twitter.com...

Cases confirmed in Kansas.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
8 from New York school have it... from the TV...

Here

2 Kansas, 8 New York.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
From BBC

Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200.

All masks have been used up, and we are waiting for new supplies.

To put a cherry on top all kind of crazy rumours are flying around - that they are going to quarantine Mexico City,

That would be crazy... 30 million people quarantined...

And can you imagine if a panic break out in Mexico and hundreds of thousands flee Mexico to come in the US? With probably many infected?

That would be like a zombie outbreak... panic... leading to even more contamination, even more dead, even more panic... half kidding.

Military is in the streets in Mexico... Martial law will probably be declared.

What would be interesting is to know what's the kill rate of it. From the sources I gather, about 1200 infected, about 200 deads. About 16% death rate... or half smallpox... the numbers could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Now I'm starting to freak out just slightly,LOL! Not funny,a bit nervous.

About those "camps" that sprung up recently in AZ and NM "in case" of mass border-migrations during the recent drug-related incidents???

Supplies such as masks from where??? Do they get trucked or flown in??? Do those delivery-people then simply return to points of origin???

Yikes...no actually chit.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Something interesting:

Lethal secrets of 1918 flu virus
This is from 2007:

The lungs of infected monkeys were destroyed in just days as their immune systems went into overdrive after a Canadian laboratory rebuilt the virus. [...]

The preserved body of a flu victim buried in Arctic permafrost was exhumed, and they painstakingly extracted the genetic material needed to work out the structure of the H1N1 virus.

Then, in a maximum "biosafety" facility at Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory they reconstructed a fully functioning virus, and infected macaque monkeys to see what would happen.

However, it is not the virus that is directly causing the damage to the lungs - it is the body's own response to infection.

And all the deaths so far are young (17-18) and strong (up to 45-55)... those who have a strong immuno system are the most at risk... like the spanish flu.

Those mass graves are gonna come handy.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
OBAMA GREETED IN MEXICO BY MAN WHO DIED DAYS LATER OF FLU SYMPTOMS...

Link

Wow... That is insane.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
dang!.

this is all big news as i have not being watching the news and such for the past few days!
this is amazing, havent had much time to read much up on the subject, but does anyone know what the cause might be aswell as the symptoms and such?
thanks, very interesting post!
flagged!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This new quote from Wikipedia leads me to believe that the new Swine Flu outbreak is some sort of bio-terrorism. I am not accusing anyone, but the wording in regards to the recombination of the flu strain's dna makes it sound as if the two pieces did not previously exist in nature. Maybe I am unaware of viruses 'mating' in the manner that would require the sharing of genetic information.

en.wikipedia.org...

The new strain appears to be a recombinant between two older strains. Preliminary genetic characterization found that the hemagglutinin (HA) gene was similar to that of swine flu viruses present in U.S. pigs since 1999, but the neuraminidase (NA) and matrix protein (M) genes resembled versions present in European swine flu isolates. Viruses with this genetic makeup had not previously been found to be circulating in humans or pigs, but there is no formal national surveillance system to determine what viruses are circulating in pigs in the U.S.[29]

The '29' in the wikipedia page links to this article from the CDC:
www.cdc.gov...

On April 17, 2009, CDC determined that two cases of febrile respiratory illness occurring in children who resided in adjacent counties in southern California were caused by infection with a swine influenza A (H1N1) virus. The viruses from the two cases are closely related genetically, resistant to amantadine and rimantadine, and contain a unique combination of gene segments that previously has not been reported among swine or human influenza viruses in the United States or elsewhere. Neither child had contact with pigs; the source of the infection is unknown.

I am feeling a bit perturbed that this looks like some sort of bio-terrorism....
DocMoreau

Edit to Add: I reread my post, and I don't make it clear that I am in support of the OP. I didn't mean to make it seem like I was the only one. I guess what I should say is 'I Agree, and this is why'

Also, I think looking at how Tamiflu resistant strains are running rampant:
www.cdc.gov...

On December 19, 2008, CDC issued interim guidance for health care professionals on the use of influenza antiviral medications this flu season. The guidance was issued in response to early data from a limited number of states indicating that a high proportion of influenza A (H1N1) viruses are resistant to the influenza antiviral medication oseltamivir (Tamiflu®). Worldwide, the proportion of H1N1 viruses that are resistant to oseltamivir has been increasing so this development is not surprising.

[edit on 25/4/2009 by DocMoreau]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Vitchilo, where did you get your info that Canada has cancelled flights to Mexico. I'm Canadian and I've checked and can't verify that info. Be careful what you post. I also noticed from what I've read on these posts, that you have the ages wrong amongst the fatalities. I read 25-49yrs are the victims. [ I kinda sound like Yoda there.lol]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join