It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Atheists care about religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
OP, off the bat your thread is generalizing all Christians in America. Why should anyone take you seriously? There are proud and radical members of all religions. The people who founded America unanimously decided that “In God We Trust” was what they wanted on the American currency. Don't blame the average Joe, who has nothing to do with how money is made or printed. The majority of members here have a habit of generalizing a group of people, the discussion is immediately doomed to antagonism and it will end up no where. I don't think you've ever met all Christians.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bilmerys

You may in some cases be partially right.
Me, being agnostic, is there a god? I don't know.
BUT, I will play atheist in an attempt to have a believer out there somewhere convince me that there is a god. Sure, I'd love to be convinced, I am sure every atheist and agnostic would.

But they fail, every one of them.

So I remain agnostic.

I am here Let this
be me :
Theist..........Agnostic.....
.....Atheist.

When I was younger, I tried being religious, but as hard as I read the bible and tried to believe, a nagging doubt followed me around. It just took awhile for reason to catch up with me.
Dear Christians, if you wish to remain religious don't read the bible (I am sure for many Christians their bibles will crack as they open it, that would be the sound of the bindings being flexed for the first time) for a modern person, reading the bible is the first step toward agnosticism.

And how did religion negatively affect me?
It got GWB elected, twice, and the world will take a long time healing for that.

Anybody that says god talks to them is unfit for public office IMO. Like that wouldn't be open for abuse.

PS, what part of genesis has the E=mc2 equation?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lastxdance

Keep in mind the Earth was not proven to be flat until long after the days of Jesus and the Old Testament at that.

Not true.
Eratosthenes and Archimedes both proved that the world was spherical, and Eratosthenes even calculated the diameter of the earth:
en.wikipedia.org...

Eratosthenes of Cyrene (Greek Ἐρατοσθένης; c. 276 BC[1] - c. 195 BC[2]) was a Greek mathematician, poet, athlete, geographer and astronomer. He made several discoveries and inventions including a system of latitude and longitude. He was the first Greek to calculate the circumference of the Earth (with remarkable accuracy), and the tilt of the earth's axis (also with remarkable accuracy); he may also have accurately calculated the distance from the earth to the sun and invented the leap day. [2] He also created a map of the world based on the available geographical knowledge of the era. Eratosthenes was also the founder of scientific chronology; he endeavored to fix the dates of the chief literary and political events from the conquest of Troy.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bumptiousness
OP, off the bat your thread is generalizing all Christians in America. Why should anyone take you seriously? There are proud and radical members of all religions. The people who founded America unanimously decided that “In God We Trust” was what they wanted on the American currency.

No they didn't. "In God We Trust" was added way war later, but that still doesn't mean it's ok. Atheists, pagans, polytheists ,agnostics or people of other faiths who refuse to equate their believed deity(ies) with the Christian "God" have to carry around this message. It, and the pledge of allegiance undermines peoples' faiths. And the christians, for the most part, are proud of it.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
This is why atheists dont believe in God. Even this comedian has some good points worth thinking about.

Ops the link didn't work. But this one should.www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Ok, but do you know why people do it?

Do you really believe that powerful men would bow their heads to a "sky fairy" for no reason?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

First what makes you think those powerful men are sincere and not just giving lip-service to a system that helps keep them in power?

As for why people in general do it, they're cowards. They can't conceive of the universe without them in it. Death is the boggey man and they'll jump through any hoop to avoid him. Pathetic, simply pathetic.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

This is why atheists dont believe in God. Even this comedian has some good points worth thinking about.

No that's why atheists don't believe in the bible. Well, partly why, there's plenty more to be had in the bible than the laughable genesis.

Atheists don't believe in God because of the 'faith' issue. You know that whole believing willy nilly without evidence thing.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

"...and he did it in the dark!"

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

"You will have to crawl on your belly all your days." Not much of a punishment there.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
No one wants to be alone in misery. They have come to their own conclusion that there is nothing that is going to exist after their body dies, and they want others to feel the same way as them. Like I said, if everyone around you is happy and you're sad, it'll make you feel worse. If even one person is also sad, it provides some comfort.

Do you think they just want to have their atheist belief, be quiet (which is what they should do) and become dust in the wind? Heck no, they need to shout from the rooftops that their own fate is everyone else's as well.

I think they denounce religion because that way at least they'll have free choice, but even if you're rebelling against something, you're giving it power and it isn't free choice. You're just being "anti" whatever it is you don't like.

If they did be quiet with their beliefs, I think too in a way they'd become and feel like an animal compared to others. But if they can attack and lash out against the people that they feel (and are) superior to them, then they feel like their life has value and it gives them a pretense of superiority. When in reality, it is baseless.

BUT, I will play atheist in an attempt to have a believer out there somewhere convince me that there is a god. Sure, I'd love to be convinced, I am sure every atheist and agnostic would.

But they fail, every one of them.

That is pretty pathetic and frankly that's what a lot of people do. Truly the American way, forget about God, our god is laziness. You're hopeless with an attitude like that. No one has to do your work for you, no one should do it for you. If you have a desire to connect with God, good for you. If you don't care and don't have a desire to connect with God, don't expect others to miraculously prove to you anything. Don't expect them to implant a desire in your heart for God. You fail yourself, no one else fails you. It is everyone's duty to come to God.

Forget about what you "believe", it's what a person desires and that is what you work with.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by Welfhard
reply to post by lastxdance

The Bible might just be right, and contrary to popular belief science merely adds to its validity.

Care to share?

Don't get your hopes up. The bluster is strong with this one. Unfounded assertions are rather rife here, and answers are hard to come by.

Oh I wouldnt lie like that Gawdshater, evolutionists just got there asses handed back to them in the thread you are only able to talk smack in and have never attempted to engage in anything more than your bitterness and whining over that day they almost water boarded you into Christianity trying to "shove it down your throat"

You prove your zealotry and your religion of atheism in all you are about and you are as fundamentalist as any hell fire brimstone baptist i have ever seen and even more dogmatic

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

First what makes you think those powerful men are sincere and not just giving lip-service to a system that helps keep them in power?

As for why people in general do it, they're cowards. They can't conceive of the universe without them in it. Death is the boggey man and they'll jump through any hoop to avoid him. Pathetic, simply pathetic.

They don't say you won't find any atheists in foxholes for nothing.

If you don't agree, it is most likely the same reason I don't agree with your broad brush sweeping all believers under your own presumptuous bigotry and hatred

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
to make a long story short.. because of the religous hyper shoving down peoples throat the blatant attempt to make dogma law. and do i really need to go on..

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AermacchiThey don't say you won't find any atheists in foxholes for nothing.

If you don't agree, it is most likely the same reason I don't agree with your broad brush sweeping all believers under your own presumptuous bigotry and hatred

If you'll take a look at my profile . . .

I find truly religious people to be damaged. Fortunately, 99% of the people in the world are no more religious than I am. They just haven't admitted it yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aermacchi

and again i see you need to practice what you preach.. you love to make the claim that people are bigoted and are haters against believers.. my how hypocritical.. and talk about brushing with a broad brush..

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aermacchi
They don't say you won't find any atheists in foxholes for nothing.

Argumentum ad populum.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorand
reply to post by Aermacchi

and again i see you need to practice what you preach.. you love to make the claim that people are bigoted and are haters against believers.. my how hypocritical.. and talk about brushing with a broad brush..

Sad, isn't it, when a good person acts like a god-botherer? Now if your type wasn't pushing your voodoo idols down everybody else's throats you have never heard from me.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

Originally posted by bumptiousness
OP, off the bat your thread is generalizing all Christians in America. Why should anyone take you seriously? There are proud and radical members of all religions. The people who founded America unanimously decided that “In God We Trust” was what they wanted on the American currency.

No they didn't. "In God We Trust" was added way war later, but that still doesn't mean it's ok. Atheists, pagans, polytheists ,agnostics or people of other faiths who refuse to equate their believed deity(ies) with the Christian "God" have to carry around this message. It, and the pledge of allegiance undermines peoples' faiths. And the christians, for the most part, are proud of it.

Yeah I suppose it should say in Darwin we trust, huh? None of it undermines your faith because all I ever see you atheist's do is mock those with faith. The faith believing individual cramps their gay lifestyles and their religion of evolution their agenda for socialsim, eugenics and the genocide of millions of innocent males and females atheists organizations have singled out by age and summarily murdered by and large out of mere convenience

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join