It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MadWorld: 'most violent computer game ever' launched on Nintendo Wii

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

That is NOT mockery, that is pointing out the obvious. A personal avatar represents what you want US to see.

On one hand you condemn a video game for being violent and contributing to the downfall of society... and on the other hand you have a picture of someone holding a weapon.

The two kind of cancel each other out.

But its ok for you to judge people and what they do on their own private time, but you cry foul when someone judges you.... see how that works?

-edit- No, I got the point you are trying to make.. so do most of the individuals posting on this thread.... its just most of us DO NOT agree with it.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

That is NOT mockery, that is pointing out the obvious. A personal avatar represents what you want US to see.

On one hand you condemn a video game for being violent and contributing to the downfall of society... and on the other hand you have a picture of someone holding a weapon.

The two kind of cancel each other out.

But its ok for you to judge people and what they do on their own private time, but you cry foul when someone judges you.... see how that works?

As stated I feel no need to elaborate. Take it as you wish.
I refuse to feed the fire. I should have stopped with my 2 cents.
Since my avatar completely makes my entire argument void now....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hahaha, now you begin to see....

Me comparing your avatar to the downfall of society is the same as saying a game does.

Your avatar is not the point, but ANYTHING can be made into a scapegoat.

And no, this is a forum for debates, you should never keep your mouth shut... but don't expect everyone to always agree with you either.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Wow.

Did anyone here take the time to actually check out how this game looks?
It's very cartoony... with black and white style graphics. The only thing that has color is blood.

It has ridiculous, violent gameplay... but it's no where near as realistic as many other games.

This game is no worse than Mortal Kombat which came out many, many years ago.
Same violence, different style.

And as people keep saying... If you aren't old enough to play it, then don't play it. If you're a crappy parent... start being a better parent!
Plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
Hahaha, now you begin to see....

Me comparing your avatar to the downfall of society is the same as saying a game does.

Your avatar is not the point, but ANYTHING can be made into a scapegoat.

And no, this is a forum for debates, you should never keep your mouth shut... but don't expect everyone to always agree with you either.

Well I enjoyed debating with you, honestly you kept me on edge for some time. Good debate. Anyone that can hold their ground like you deserves to be kept in mind for further consideration for future debates. I enjoy speculating and next time I feel I know something for fact I just might contact you for more insight. I still hold my opinion on the subject but am adding you as a friend for future reference. Can never have enough sides.

I am serious about the above too.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I agree whole heartedly...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.. Now just think of a world where discussions could be had like these, without the need for violence to get involved.

Now THAT would be a betterment of society.

-edit- Added as well.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

It would be better indeed.
Man It is amazing to watch what my posts can whittle to sometimes as the thread continues toward end.
Tis late and I have to sleep. But I look forward to the next debate. I think I'll consider it a discussion though and try not to get so heated. lol

-Have a good one.

Edit to say no it would be better than better. It would be something entirely different and more..... Beneficial.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I enjoy games as much as the next man, but to blame 'violent' computer gmaes for the worlds troubles is just sheer stupidity, I have seen the trailer on Play.com and the games in black and white, there's a little red for the 'blood'. and all I can say is , I'm gonna get it , and the rest that hate it ,
GET A LIFE, THEY'RE PIXELS ON A SCREEN.
Theres more likely to have killings due to the violent films and gangland 'lifestyle' than there will be from games.
Get a grip people.

link   
All I can say, is it's ABOUT TIME we had a decent adult-oriented game on the Wii. I've had my Wii for a couple of years now, and absolutely loved Wii Sports. Since then, I've patiently waited for a decent game for adults that would work well with the controller, but it's all been childish kiddy games all the way. I've been waiting for an improved successor to Wii Sports but nothing ever came out that comes close. Top Spin 3 came out for Wii and stupidly took out all the motion control that made Wii Sports Tennis so natural. They had a golden opportunity to do it with Table Tennis, but Rockstar Table Tennis for Wii, once again, took out the motion control!! Nuts!! They made it a straight port of the Xbox 360 version. Very disappointing.

I actually feel like chainsawing a few heads off and ripping some bloody havoc after 2 years of hardly anything to play on my Wii apart from Wii Sports and Tiger Woods (which has great tee shots but terrible terrible putting). I actually can't wait to try this game out! Love first person shooters on the pc so this should be pretty cool.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by RiotComing]

link   

Originally posted by loam

I find it highly disturbing that ANYONE would play it.

Originally posted by loam

Indeed.

My apparent skill to consistently choose non-violent forms of entertainment must be so rare an ability as to render me either uniquely gifted or the thorough victim of my own delusional mind.

...or maybe I'm just one of the 'normal' guys, horribly trapped in a nightmarish reality populated by a bunch of crazies.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by loam]

So this is just another example of someone judging others as below themselves.

You find it highly disturbing that anyone plays these games?

hmm it appears your apparent "skill" to only choose non violent forms of entertainment seems to satisfy your "Ego"

Trust me, I don't mind what your opinions are. I'm fine with that.

It's just I see a LOT of people in this world, who think they are some kind of worthy judge above everyone else.

I'm not interested much in this game but whatever your opinion is I will continue to disturb you by playing whatever games I want, knowing that you cannot truly judge my character, or my morals on life, based on the fact that I played a mere game.

Peace.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
"Why is it, any of your concern, what other people want to do?
Unless they are doing it, to you? "

Concern.

As a Constitutionalist, I acknowledge their right to digital torture/murder/rape any digital character not endowed with Human rights or protected under the Bill of Rights and Constitution...

However, it is strange can you refuse acknowledge my concern as being relevant and genuine; insofar as this game is a form of practice/conditioning that is used by our own military to instill 'killer instinct' and 'faster trigger time' - such is it's effectiveness.

*If I set up mannequins in my lawn and practiced torture/murder/raping them, you would be right to show your concern;
Unlike like video game characters, mannequins are incapable of expressing fascimilies of terror/pain/disembowelment/begging - but you must admit, if you saw someone continually practising torturing/raping/killing mannequins, you would be concerned - And it is your Constitutional Right to Express that concern.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
...it appears your apparent "skill" to only choose non violent forms of entertainment seems to satisfy your "Ego"

Are you serious?

Is this a serious statement, or one meant to inject humour into the discussion?

*I'm gonna have to ask you to account for yourself this time.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

...it appears your apparent "skill" to only choose non violent forms of entertainment seems to satisfy your "Ego"

Are you serious?

Is this a serious statement, or one meant to inject humour into the discussion?

*I'm gonna have to ask you to account for yourself this time.

Well showing off that it's such a rare skill that he's gifted above all others sounds like ego stroking to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I have the same capability.

Why do you refer to it as "skill"?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

reply to post by _Phoenix_

I have the same capability.

Why do you refer to it as "skill"?

It is him that refers to it as a skill.

Your not seeing the point here.

He's basically saying that he is above people who watch violent entertainment. He's judging people he does not know, putting them in a group, that's ego stroking.

Violence is part of life, it is everywhere. How is it possible to avoid violence!? especially in entertainment that tries to show the reality? What kind of world has no violence? Heaven?

Violence is in nature, a mother giving birth to her son is even a violent situation.

Now I enjoy many forms of non violent entertainment, but avoiding "ALL" subjects with violence is simply trying to avoid reality.

But I'm not going to say that avoiding all violent entertainment, from history and nature documentries to action and horror movies, "disturbs me" he has the right to that choice and opinion.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

However, it is strange can you refuse acknowledge my concern as being relevant and genuine; insofar as this game is a form of practice/conditioning that is used by our own military to instill 'killer instinct' and 'faster trigger time' - such is it's effectiveness.

This is another fallacy often quoted by video game alarmists.

Let's be honest here. You are NOT training anything on a video game. You might be improving hand-eye coordination, but the same can be done with games like Brain Age. The best video game player in the world, renowned for his prowess in first person shooters, is not going to be able to pick up a rifle and use it any better than someone who did not play said games. Shooting a rifle requires a completely different set of skills. A video game controller is not going to aim the same way as a gun. A video game controller is not going to recoil when you pull the trigger. The idea that a person can play a video game for a few hours and then come out an expert in marksmanship is simply laughable.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
The best video game player in the world, renowned for his prowess in first person shooters, is not going to be able to pick up a rifle and use it any better than someone who did not play said games.

You misinterpret my post.

Nowhere do I claim that such games are effective training tools for use of ordinance and weaponry.

Nice try.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

The rating systems exist for a reason. Mankind has spent hundreds of years torturing and murdering each other. There is no reason to attack the violence in video games.

School shootings do not happen because of video games, they happen because of bad parenting and abuse. Violence is in television and news broadcasting, video games are simply a form of expression and relief. They do not lead to violence that kills millions or murders children.

Bad politics, ignorant religion and abusive parenting creates the violence that kills millions and murders children.

And to be fair, the video game “Manhunt” is far more brutal than this silly concoction of creativity. "Manhunt" pits a felon against felons and has the player execute individuals with piano wire and plastic bags (among other brutal killer tools.) It involves rape and other terrible acts such as murder and torture.

So let’s not crucify this game. For the most part, it's just a joke on brutality. This game makes fun of the sadistic nature of humanity, poking at the very heart strings that the human race has lived by for hundreds of years.

It’s not going to cause you’re children to be executed by crazy child abused teenagers.

Plus, Nintendo will not let anything onto it's system that is serious about causing psychological harm to humanity. Look it up, Nintendo has blocked and banned many games from being released on it's system because of their content. In fact they sensored the heck out of "Manhunt" because of some of the content featured in the game.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Violence is part of life, it is everywhere. How is it possible to avoid violence!? especially in entertainment that tries to show the reality? What kind of world has no violence? Heaven?

You have Free Will;

With that, one can at least endeavor to position themselves in situations where violence is less prevalent or less likely to occur (in all forms).

*You don't have to watch violent television or films. You don't have to play or participate in needlessly violent games or actions.... You are not forced to do these things.

Edit: I see you edited your post twice, and after I made this one. Could you please refrain to back-editing for the purposes of rendering future rebuttals moot. . . It is poor form.

Not that I care, it's just bad form. And the other members have a right to know what has occurred(so they can know what to expect when engaging you in further debate)

Thanks in advance.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
The best video game player in the world, renowned for his prowess in first person shooters, is not going to be able to pick up a rifle and use it any better than someone who did not play said games.

You misinterpret my post.

Nowhere do I claim that such games are effective training tools for use of ordinance and weaponry.

Nice try.

The military also uses movies, books, pamphlets, and speech to train soldiers. Is anyone throwing a fit over these? No. Violent video games are not the problem here. I will gladly admit that I agree that games of this nature should not be played by children. But I, and my fellow adult gamers, should have every right to play these games if that is what we wish.

There are a plethora of options for parents who wish to prevent their children from playing M rated games. If the parents do not or refuse to use these options, it is not anyone's fault except their own. I'm not trying to argue that these games are appropriate viewing for children. I'm just arguing that they are no more harmful than an action packed R rated movie. They are games designed for an adult audience, not for children.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join